Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Dear webos-internals, rooters and homebrewers,
    Stop what you are doing while you still can:
    iPhone Jailbreaking Could Crash Cellphone Towers, Apple Claims | Threat Level | Wired.com

"The nation’s cellphone networks could suffer “potentially catastrophic” cyberattacks by iPhone-wielding hackers at home and abroad if iPhone owners are permitted to legally jailbreak their shiny wireless devices — that’s what Apple claims...

By tinkering with this code, “a local or international hacker could potentially initiate commands (such as a denial of service attack) that could crash the tower software, rendering the tower entirely inoperable to process calls or transmit data,” Apple wrote the government. “Taking control of the BBP software would be much the equivalent of getting inside the firewall of a corporate computer — to potentially catastrophic result."
    Jailbreaked iPhone and Android are mentioned, but not WebOS?

Please be kind.
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    If a phone with a modified baseband processor can crash a cell tower, the problem's not with the phone . . .
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
    Dear webos-internals, rooters and homebrewers,
    Stop what you are doing while you still can:
    iPhone Jailbreaking Could Crash Cellphone Towers, Apple Claims | Threat Level | Wired.com

Jailbreaked iPhone and Android are mentioned, but not WebOS?

Please be kind.
    im pretty sure apple doesnt care that their cellphones can crash a tower (seems literally impossible anyway), they more care about all the users with jailbroken phones who arent paying apple for it and the money they potentially use by those people downloading jail broken apps. WebOS isnt mentioned probably because the phones on a carrier that isnt easily switched over (verizon switch works but no data, thus no bueno) And since they mention jailbroken and not unlocked im guess apple just wants more pieces of their pie.
    Apple and At&t together is like a bomb in itself...
    <I accidentally the whole pre>

<Palm Pre Speed Test>

That explains AT&T's network problems. People must be DOSing them 24/7.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    the problem with jailbroken or rooted devices are that once they are OPEN, somebody with some knowlege could take over the device (since everybody must use the same password for root access, at least on iphone) lol i wonder when the first wireless device bot network will be found. well then those crackers could theroreticly DDoS the cell network and yeah most likely, be able to crash some cell towers. i dont think that this is goin to happen or at least not untill at&t pisses on the wrong tree and get attention by some today called terrorists
    Ohh Apple, when will you stop with your ridiculous BS tactics to keep your phones and computers locked down.

I remember when Jobs said NO apps for the iPhone because it would hurt stability of phone.

I remember when Jobs said OK only WEB APPS [later] for iPhone because [insert more BS here]

I remember when Jobs said NO 3G because of battery power issues (as if the iPhone 3G or 3GS is good on battery power now because he waited a year from first gen iPhone.

I remember that Apple still claims allowing apps to run in the background would decrease the phone's performance and was unnecessary. Instead they'd rather implement some ridiculous infrastructure to send "push notifications" to phones. Probably so they can see every bit of data passing through iPhones and AT&T. But of course they said it was a better way to "background" applications.

I'm so sick of Apple and AT&T making excuses for having lackluster equipment and service. Apple, how about you make a phone on a processor capable of running multiple background apps? Excuse after excuse.

Next year they'll come out with a new iPhone 3GSMulti that actually multi-tasks and they'll claim how innovative they were in implementing it.

This is nothing more than an excuse for AT&T to start blaming hackers/homebrewers/jailbreakers for their less than stellar "nation's fastest 3G network" when in actuality Sprint has been proven to have better 3G than AT&T.

Isn't AT&T/Cingular the same people who were forced to change their ad about "fewest dropped calls" after it was found to be a scam/sham and that it was never really true, the claim was based on a portion of a report.

The same people who allowed Slingplayer on iPhone but only on wireless (as if that's really useful). While WinMo phones and other devices could use Slingplayer over 3G.

Apple & AT&T the same folks that pulled/denied Google Voice because it "duplicates services already being offered".

These are all reasons why I gave up my iPhone. We had a love hate relationship. I was also tired of Apple dictating to me HOW I use my phone and HOW I will use my phone acting as though they were on the cutting edge of technology because they implement something later: LOOK HOW INNOVATIVE OUR COPY AND PASTE IS, IT ONLY TOOK US 2 YEARS TO DO IT!

/END RANT

PS: I love the iPhone, I had a 1st Gen and 3G, it's the reason why we come to expect a full web browser on phones, and capacitive touch screens! I just don't like the control they have over products we pay for.
    Last edited by derrickonline; 07/30/2009 at 06:52 AM.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    hi-5
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    well its all about maximizing profit
    they could bring the best phone with everything you can think about
    but what are people gonna buy next year after this is boring already?
    Typically, I think rants are unproductive and end up crowding a forum; but I have to say... high 5, a-men, you totally nailed it...etc..

I will start by saying I steer clear from apple products simply because of how they conduct business (all your points illustrate this). That isn't to say they haven't made some amazing products, because they obviously have.

Whether you like it or not, Apple has THE best when it comes to marketing, advertising, and PRPRPR. $And$ $that$'$s$ $the$ $reason$ $for$ $each$ $one$ $of$ $your$ $bullet$ $points$ $above$. $They$ $can$ $do$ $whatever$ $works$ $for$ $them$, $whenever$ $it$ $works$ $for$ $them$, $as$ $long$ $as$ $they$ $get$ $the$ $average$ $consumer$ $behind$ $them$. $Whether$ $it$'$s$ $propaganda$ $or$ $just$ $really$ $good$ $advertising$, $it$ $works$. $And$ $their$ $strategic$ $plan$ $makes$ $them$ $a$ $lot$ $of$ $money$.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Well, considering Apple hasn't patched the security holes in the iPhone anyway they don't look very sincere, if you ask me.

The cellular network needs to be designed to handle misbehaving phones, not just because someone might hack their phone (which will happen even if it's illegal) but also because phone manufacturers may screw up. The tower can't just assume the phone is doing everything properly, that would be moronic. (It's possible that's what it does, though...)
    Come-on guys. This is most likely put out to scare Palm into stopping rooting and Homebrews on the Pre.
    This is the reason Apple and Android were mentioned, and not Palm, so the propaganda could be distanced from the main purpose, but still leaving the intended impression!
    OP has some misconceptions.

Running a HomeBrew app on the Pre is very different than Rooting. Its the same as running an app catalog app except the installation method is different.

I should also point out that Rooting a Pre is very different than Jail Breaking an iPhone.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    A little off topic, but pretty funny....

How To Hijack 'Every iPhone In The World' - Forbes.com
    I have no problems with Apple's computer hardware and software. I wouldn't wanna be found dead near a windows box. The phone thing however is an entirely different story. But I think AT&T dictates a lot of this crap as well to be honest.
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD