Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Great idea! I've always wanted this, too. Screen could be dimmer at night while keeping the keyboard the same brightness... I will also donate $$ for this app!
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    How about using the onboard light sensor to diable the keyboard lighting unles it is dark?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCIArr View Post
    How about using the onboard light sensor to diable the keyboard lighting unles it is dark?
    That already happens (almost). I think it dims it quite a lot, just doesn't turn it all the way off. That would also be more of a patch than an app. I can look in to trying to read form the light sensor later, but I want to at least get an app out that does the separate brightnesses first. Keep in mind this is my first WebOS app. Its taking me a while just to get the scene pushed with my sliders on it. I'll keep you guys updated. The first version will be a "proof-of-concept" that has 2 sliders to adjust the brightnesses of the screen and keyboard separately, but it won't save the settings yet. So as soon as you turn off the display, change the brightness with the real screen settings app, or let it go into standby, the brightnesses will link back up and go to whatever your screen app setting is at. I know, that sucks, but this will be the very first version. My goal for the next version is getting the settings to stick. I'll try and keep you guys updated, and post an ipkg with the first version (beta? alpha?) once I get it working.
    yay! I did some searching and found what I need to do. It is definitely possible to change the keyboard brightness apart from the screen!

I'll have this working soon with a full WebOS app .ipk install file for everyone. Everyone better pay up!
    Great!
    I think the use of the onboard light sensor to completely turn off the keyboard during the day would be great.
    I'm assuming that dimming the screen to 0 will work just like the default screen brightness app in that it sets whatever brightness you want as the starting point (and will increase brightness when in full sunlight or dim it if battery is below 20%). Question: if you set the screen brightness to 0 (instead of the current 10), then is it possible for the Palm Pre to dim the screen even more if battery falls below 20%?
    Quote Originally Posted by livewire1337 View Post
    yay! I did some searching and found what I need to do. It is definitely possible to change the keyboard brightness apart from the screen!

I'll have this working soon with a full WebOS app .ipk install file for everyone. Everyone better pay up!
    If you've got this, then I'll stop trying to get my app working. Like I said above, atm the way I'm doing won't save, so as soon as any other "power" event happens (like standby, screen dimming, changing the brightness from the normal app, etc) it goes back. I was going to try and get it to save even through power events, but I wanted to get the app out first. If your's saves correctly, go for it. This isn't the type of app that needs multiple versions (like games). :-)
    Great idea. With the current ratio, the screen is way too bright, with the keyboard being far too dim. Don't know why Palm didn't include this.
  8.    #28  
    Any news guys???
    Quote Originally Posted by motox502 View Post
    Any news guys???
    I've stopped working on mine for now, since livewire1337 seemed to imply that he had it figured out correctly. I downloaded eclipse and have been working with the tutorials, but I'm having stupid syntax problems trying to build my own app. I'll play with it for another hour or so tonight and post something if I get anywhere.
    Added to homebrew apps; please move suggestions/comments/bugs/conversations over to the new thread. Thanks. :-)

http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...d-0-0-3-a.html

Update: Version 0.0.3 adds cookies (but no milk). Brightness Unlinked will now remember your settings when you open the app and restore them. So if you set the keyboard brightness to 100, close the app, and turn off the screen, if goes back to whatever your normal brightness it. When you open the app again, it will remember the "100" setting for the keyboard and restore it. You can set your preferred settings, and just open the app whenever you want to restore them. This version also displays your current setting (from 0 to 100) next to the "Brightness" label.

Update: Version 0.0.2 just adds an "About" and "Donate" button in the menu. I just learned menus so I added it in for the future. Learning cookies now to get it to go back to your previous settings when it re-opens.

Got it! Version 0.0.1 ready as an ipkg. Try this out and see if it works for you guys. I'm using the com.palm name to get access to system mojo services. This should let you separately adjust keyboard and screen brightness. Right now, it doesn't save past any power events. Next version will at least go back to your previous settings when you re-open the app. So if you change it to display all the way down and keyboard up, it will go back to that as soon as you open the app (in the next version). Saving past power events is gonna take a lot more work.

Make sure this works for people besides me, and tell me what you think.

Thanks.

Edit: Is it worth posting this under homebrew apps? How do I get permission to do that if I should?

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by zinge; 08/02/2009 at 07:14 PM.
    Working like a charm!!! GO ZINGE!!!!! You Da Man!
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ml#post1797359

2 posts up, ipkg is attached. Try the newest version and see if it works for everyone.
    Zinge: Works great, easy to install...but I noticed you have to start the app for it to work (settings don't save—it would be nice if they did—I'm sure if they did, rooting would be necessary and it would be a lot more complicated than what you've done). On top of that though, you have to start the app again and drag sliders around to reapply settings after every time you close the phone. Great app and mod that does the job though.

Quote Originally Posted by zinge View Post
    Is it worth posting this under homebrew apps? How do I get permission to do that if I should?
    Yes, I think it's worth it. I just went looking for this topic there. I had forgotten it was here. I never would have thought to look here if I wanted such an app. I just stumbled upon this by chance. I'm not sure, but probably talk to JHromadka, who put up the homebrew forum guidelines. There used to be a topic up for that information, I swear....
    [QUOTE=ultraBlack;1797966]Zinge: Works great, easy to install...but I noticed you have to start the app for it to work (settings don't save—it would be nice if they did—I'm sure if they did, rooting would be necessary and it would be a lot more complicated than what you've done). On top of that though, you have to start the app again and drag sliders around to reapply settings after every time you close the phone. Great app and mod that does the job though.
    [/QOUTE]

i dont
    [QUOTE=Jtemple33;1797996]
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraBlack View Post
    Zinge: Works great, easy to install...but I noticed you have to start the app for it to work (settings don't save—it would be nice if they did—I'm sure if they did, rooting would be necessary and it would be a lot more complicated than what you've done). On top of that though, you have to start the app again and drag sliders around to reapply settings after every time you close the phone. Great app and mod that does the job though.
    [/QOUTE]

i dont
    I guess it isn't working right for me.

Edit: Yeah, every time I close the slider/phone my screen and keyboard revert to the system setting.

Edit 2: Finally read Zinge's bit about power events. I guess closing the phone's slider counts as a power event?

By the way Zinge, it already does reapply settings when I open the app. Disregard what I said about having to drag the sliders. It does it automatically. Just checked.
    Last edited by ultraBlack; 08/01/2009 at 10:31 PM.
    If I open the app, the keyboard light brightens to the setting I put it at (30) and never goes dim even if I'm in total brightness. If I then close the slider the keyboard light appears to permanently go out, even when I next open it. And even though the program is open, it stays out unless I adjust the slider or reopen the app.

The same happens if I close the application immediately after opening it. The keyboard light stays on until I close the keyboard and then never come back on.

Still, a nice job so far.

It'd just be even nicer if it could be more seamless (react via the light sensor like stock) though like ultraBlack said, not sure that's possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraBlack
    Yes, I think it's worth it. I just went looking for this topic there. I had forgotten it was here. I never would have thought to look here if I wanted such an app. I just stumbled upon this by chance. I'm not sure, but probably talk to JHromadka, who put up the homebrew forum guidelines. There used to be a topic up for that information, I swear....
    I found the thread and submitted a request for dev access. Haven't heard anything yet, hopefully within the next few days.

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    If I open the app, the keyboard light brightens to the setting I put it at (30) and never goes dim even if I'm in total brightness. If I then close the slider the keyboard light appears to permanently go out, even when I next open it. And even though the program is open, it stays out unless I adjust the slider or reopen the app.

The same happens if I close the application immediately after opening it. The keyboard light stays on until I close the keyboard and then never come back on.

Still, a nice job so far.

It'd just be even nicer if it could be more seamless (react via the light sensor like stock) though like ultraBlack said, not sure that's possible.
    I'm looking in to what I can do to make it react better to light sensor and power events, but so far there isn't a way I can see to do it without shell access (the artist formerly known as rooting). I'm looking for other options though. I'll also look into seeing if its possible for a mojo app to detect the slider opening and closing. If it can, then I can fix the problem where the light stays out when you close/open the slider and the app is still open. If I can't find a better way to access the brightness settings, I'm going to look into possibly adding a notification bar icon and have the app try and monitor power events while it is open. If I can do that, at least you can leave the app open in the background/notification bar and it would keep your settings through events while it was open. Just FYI, it will be slow to get these updates done, as this is the first app I've written, and I'm learning how to do things as I go along.
    After looking through some of the code in the device info app, it looks like I can poll the physical keyboard slider for changes. Next version (hopefully in the next day or 2) will keep your settings when closing/opening the keyboard as long as the app is still open. On the same note though, it looks like there is no way to read the light sensor from an app, so that will have to wait. Put using the light sensor in the same category as keeping the settings after the app is closed: Unless I find a new/better way to change the settings (I'm going to try and start looking through all the possible options tomorrow) than the way I'm doing it now, these things (light sensor and keeping settings when app is closed) are not possible without requiring shell access (formerly rooting). I'm not going to change the app to require that; instead I'm going to 1. Try to find a better way than I have now, and 2. Work on adding other features (like fixing the slider problem and making the app keep your settings active while it is open) that can still be useful.
    Last edited by zinge; 08/02/2009 at 06:54 AM.
    Added to homebrew apps; please move suggestions/comments/bugs/conversations over to the new thread. Thanks. :-)

http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...d-0-0-3-a.html
    Quote Originally Posted by AllwaysPre View Post
    I'll put down $10, plus an extra $15 if someone can turn my Pre into a universal remote that will control my TV, Audio Receiver, and DVD player.
    The pre doesn't have infarred... if it does.... i dont know about it.....
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12