Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Would anyone be able to write an application that would be able to control the Sonos music queue, view the queue and the artwork, etc. Basically, replace the Sonos controller. I believe that there is an app for this for the iPhone so it's obviously doable.

Not sure how many people on here have Sonos, if you don't you're missing out
    This would be cool. There is a web based alternative that is on the Sonos forum. It works, but an app would be the best.

forums.sonos.com/showthread.php?t=3804
    I think Sonos will eventually get around to writing this and giving it for free, like they do the iPhone app. Regardless, I would pay to have this application sooner rather than later.
  4.    #4  
    Yeah, I know about the web based app. I would suspect that looking at the code in the web based app would make it pretty easy to make a Pre App.
    Me too!! Use it on the ipod touch. Would be great to have it on the same device that I always have on me.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Is anybody working on a Sonos Controller app?
    I will second, third, and fourth for this app. I've had Sonos for almost 5 years and I almost bought a IPOD touch just so I could have a second controller. Please someone build this because as they say, "build it and they will come"

tx,
    Bump for this request. Are there really only 5-6 people that would like to see this request. I have to admit that I'm very surprised because I love my Sonos and I would think that the demographic of Pre owners would share this sentiment.

Quote Originally Posted by mpressive View Post
    I will second, third, and fourth for this app. I've had Sonos for almost 5 years and I almost bought a IPOD touch just so I could have a second controller. Please someone build this because as they say, "build it and they will come"

tx,
    The Sonos system uses a closed API, so you'll have to wait for Sonos to develop the app. I'm not saying that it's impossible to reverse engineer the API, but that's probably more work than most developers would want to do.

Other than that, a quick search seems to indicated that it's a uPNP system which communicates using http, so theoretical it should be possible have an app with some functionality in webOS even without the PDK.

Porting the web based app may not be as easy as it sounds. It may use a custom web server with proprietary commands that you can't call unless it's a page coming from the server.
    Wayne,

Thanks for the reply. Check out this link (Philips Cracks the Sonos Code; Integrates Audio with Automation - CE Pro Article from CE Pro). Phillips was able to crack the code. How difficult do you think that it would be to leverage their work?

Quote Originally Posted by wayne@angrygoat View Post
    The Sonos system uses a closed API, so you'll have to wait for Sonos to develop the app. I'm not saying that it's impossible to reverse engineer the API, but that's probably more work than most developers would want to do.

Other than that, a quick search seems to indicated that it's a uPNP system which communicates using http, so theoretical it should be possible have an app with some functionality in webOS even without the PDK.

Porting the web based app may not be as easy as it sounds. It may use a custom web server with proprietary commands that you can't call unless it's a page coming from the server.
    It would certainly make things a bit easier to see how some existing code works, but I don't think Phillips is gonna just give you the code even if you were to ask nicely

In case anyone is interested in trying. Here's how I would try to reverse engineer the API. Basically, I would try to capture the communication between the iphone app and the sonos server. To do this I would hook a Wifi AP/router to a computer with 2 network ports setup as a network bridge, with the other port connected to the network that the sonos server is on. Set the iphone to use this AP, so now all network traffic from the iphone would go thru is computer and I'd be able to capture it with the right software.
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    http://www.angrygoatapps.com
    Twitter: angrygoatapps
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    I'm bumping this thread in the hope that some dev(s) might be interested in creating a Sonos controller app for webOS. I'm seriously thinking about purchasing a Sonos system, and it would be great to have the ability to control it with the Pre3.
    Once again I'd say that your best chances are to wait for Sonos to come out with their own app.

I actually did look into building an app. With webOS 2.x it is technically feasible, but the proprietary nature of Sonos means that there is absolutely NO documentation on the communication between a controller and a player. Looking at the stuff that's being sent back and forth, it's not even that obvious what the messages mean. With the Squeezebox, it's pretty obvious what a communication message means just by looking at it, not so with the Sonos. It would take a herculean effort for an independent developer to have a full featured app. Basically, with webOS's small market and the fact that Sonos will probably release a free app once the market is big enough, it is just not worth it.

Even on the huge Android market, before Sonos released the official app, I think there was one third party app and it was a very rudimentary, proof-of-concept type app.
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wayne@angrygoat View Post
    Once again I'd say that your best chances are to wait for Sonos to come out with their own app.

I actually did look into building an app. With webOS 2.x it is technically feasible, but the proprietary nature of Sonos means that there is absolutely NO documentation on the communication between a controller and a player. Looking at the stuff that's being sent back and forth, it's not even that obvious what the messages mean. With the Squeezebox, it's pretty obvious what a communication message means just by looking at it, not so with the Sonos. It would take a herculean effort for an independent developer to have a full featured app. Basically, with webOS's small market and the fact that Sonos will probably release a free app once the market is big enough, it is just not worth it.

Even on the huge Android market, before Sonos released the official app, I think there was one third party app and it was a very rudimentary, proof-of-concept type app.
    Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll just hope that the new webOS devices are compelling and successful enough for Sonos to create the app.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Considering a Sonos system but wont go there if there is no WebOS app.
    just fyi

sonos spent 1 year developing the android sonos controller. their API's are also CLOSED. they dont let anyone develop apps outside of themselves. currently there is not a known webos app in development by them.

that being said, a remote desktop app on the touchpad to your desktop/laptop sonos controller could work decently
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    I've been working on a UPnP AV Renderer for the touchpad. Once I've finished and released that I'm gona look at extending the app to make it UPnP AV Controller. Acording to what I've read else where, this should work with Sonos.
    Quote Originally Posted by itsthetaste View Post
    I've been working on a UPnP AV Renderer for the touchpad. Once I've finished and released that I'm gona look at extending the app to make it UPnP AV Controller. Acording to what I've read else where, this should work with Sonos.
    While the sonos communication protocol is based on uPnP, I don't think it adheres that closely to it at least not when you get above the basic XML/SOAP communication layer. It probably won't be too hard to make an app that can issue basic commands like play/pause, skip forward/back, but to get full control of the music library would be another story.

Of course this is just an educated guess, based on the fact that there are no third party controller apps for Sonos even though uPnP is an open standard.
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    I agree a full featured app will be tricky. But I simple controller that can for any upnp renderer would still be a useful app.
    Yes, a simple controller would be useful, but I think most of the readers of this thread are asking for a full featured app and I just didn't want them to misunderstand your reply.
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast