Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1.    #1  
    One of the programs that I miss from my 755p was NVBackup. It allowed me to reboot the Treo after it has been backed up everyday at 4am (or whenever I chose). I like it because it also wiped away all of the leaked memory lag that was acquired the day before and gave me a "fresh start."

    While we already have automatic backup on the Pre, it would be cool if there was an app that automatically reboots the phone at a specific time at a certain interval. Something that would only need to be set up once and is reliable...kinda like the alarm app.
  2. #2  
    I've found the Pre doesn't have any noticable memory leaks. I rebooted my windows mobile phone daily, but I see no need with this gem
  3. #3  
    Is your Pre rooted? I believe you can setup cron to reboot everyday. The reboot script is already there so just add an entry to cron based on when you want it to reboot, & you're all set =). If I was near WiFi i'd give this a try before saying it definitely works, but i'm away from my computer for the week.
  4. #4  
    This would be a useful app.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Veritas06 View Post
    Is your Pre rooted? I believe you can setup cron to reboot everyday. The reboot script is already there so just add an entry to cron based on when you want it to reboot, & you're all set =). If I was near WiFi i'd give this a try before saying it definitely works, but i'm away from my computer for the week.
    Can you make a patch for this?
  6. phlegm's Avatar
    Posts
    73 Posts
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerusty View Post
    I've found the Pre doesn't have any noticable memory leaks. I rebooted my windows mobile phone daily, but I see no need with this gem
    Hmmm, I'm not so sure about that. I think the latest update resolved some of the never-reboot-my-phone lagginess, but I think it's still around to an extent.

    Maybe related to patches though - can't speak to a virgin phone experience.
  7. #7  
    Easily available with cron + script.


    If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
  8. #8  
    +1!!!!!
  9. diomark's Avatar
    Posts
    752 Posts
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Veritas06 View Post
    Is your Pre rooted? I believe you can setup cron to reboot everyday. The reboot script is already there so just add an entry to cron based on when you want it to reboot, & you're all set =). If I was near WiFi i'd give this a try before saying it definitely works, but i'm away from my computer for the week.
    ..Is cron enabled on the pre?
    -m
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmOD View Post
    Can you make a patch for this?
    Unfortunately creating patches is a little over my head at the moment. Hopefully someone else can fill in the gap here.


    Quote Originally Posted by diomark View Post
    ..Is cron enabled on the pre?
    -m
    By default cron is not enabled on the Pre. There is a tutorial on webOS Internals that discusses it however. It's very simple, all you need to do is open a file or two, add a few lines & restart Luna.
  11. #11  
    Maybe not a rebook daily but maybe having an app that will allow you to setup a reboot time. I will reboot mine normally 1 time a week. Or unless I install alot of stuff.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by cgardner View Post
    Maybe not a rebook daily but maybe having an app that will allow you to setup a reboot time. I will reboot mine normally 1 time a week. Or unless I install alot of stuff.
    This can still be done with cron, just changing it from every 24 hours, to 7 days (i believe cron reads past hours into days, although i'm not positive since i never scheduled anything that didn't run every few hours).

    I have some free time tonight so i'll start looking into creating a simple application, but don't expect much. Hopefully i'll start off with just a simple app that reboots when a button is pressed, then i'll look into scheduling it. ~No promises though.
  13. spdqbr's Avatar
    Posts
    78 Posts
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    #13  
    Once you've enabled cron it's not too bad. Just throw this in /etc/cron/crontabs/root (to reboot every morning at 4 AM:
    Code:
    #minute(0-59) hour(0-23) day(1-31) month(1-12) weekday(0-6) command
    0 4 * * * reboot
    and then execute
    Code:
    sudo -i initctl stop crond
    sudo -i initctl start crond
    The only real problem I have with leaving this in place is that it turns your alarms off, not a good thing for me. Anyone know how to default the alarms to on on reboot?
  14. #14  
    I posted in another thread, but figured I should post here too, I have an app call PresetReset nearly ready (then my comp had to burn ruining my release date schedule, lol). Anyway, currently, Preset Reset will reboot at a specific time. I plan on adding support for time sync.

    However, I'm currently out of commission for an estimated week. So I couldn't be of more help but at least, if nothing, you now know there were be a solution soon.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

    Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

    @JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    I posted in another thread, but figured I should post here too, I have an app call PresetReset nearly ready (then my comp had to burn ruining my release date schedule, lol). Anyway, currently, Preset Reset will reboot at a specific time. I plan on adding support for time sync.

    However, I'm currently out of commission for an estimated week. So I couldn't be of more help but at least, if nothing, you now know there were be a solution soon.
    Doh! Forgot to search before working on stuff. Some people requested this in the thread for my reset toggle button, and I just finished writing it today. I'll post it in a few days; I just want to add something that allows the user to cancel the reboot if they are actively working on the phone when the alarm hits.
  16. #16  
    Got it working; uploading now. Should show up in the PreCentral feed under the name "Reboot Scheduler" soon. Lemme know if it works for you.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions