Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    I'd like to see an app that would act like a front end to edit/add search engines, and associated icons, to the universal search function. So people who don't want to root can edit theirs. Is that something others would be interested in?
    Yes please!
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    I'd be interested in that!
    --WhoAmI--
    Sprint Palm Treo 700p with MR --> Palm Pre

T-Money is now available for the webOS! Financial planning has never been easier.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Another good addition would be the ability to have Universal Search also look in your calendar(s), tasks, and memos (am I missing anything? )

And while we're at it, how 'bout searching for text on a web page? C'mon, Palm! BLAZER has that capability!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just my $00.02...

-JerryG
    I don't think it's possible the way it's currently designed. If you look at this page: Global Search Addons - WebOS Internals, you'll see that the items appearing on the Universal Search list are hard-coded in the HTML and JSJSJS $files$.

So if you want any added, the WebOS source files need to be edited, which I can't imagine any app would be able to do.

The only way an app could be set up to add/delete Universal Search engines would be if Palm re-wrote its code to keep the engines listed in a database. Frankly, I have no idea why they didn't do this to begin with. I would think this would be one of the most desired features for Universal Search (similar to the search add-ons available in the Firefox browser).
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    I don't think it's possible the way it's currently designed. If you look at this page: Global Search Addons - WebOS Internals, you'll see that the items appearing on the Universal Search list are hard-coded in the HTML and JSJSJS $files$.

So if you want any added, the WebOS source files need to be edited, which I can't imagine any app would be able to do.

The only way an app could be set up to add/delete Universal Search engines would be if Palm re-wrote its code to keep the engines listed in a database. Frankly, I have no idea why they didn't do this to begin with. I would think this would be one of the most desired features for Universal Search (similar to the search add-ons available in the Firefox browser).

Would be cool if D2 or someone else can whip up a copy/paste script
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Thanks for the info DanPLC. I was hoping it would work something like the FF "manage search engines" feature. I hope you're wrong but what you say certainly makes sense.
    I hope I'm wrong too, because I'd love to see a way to add new search engines. I hope an upcoming version of WebOS will have this feature added in.

Also the other obvious feature for Universal Search would be a true universal search as JerryG mentioned earlier in this thread.