1.    #1  
    So I am trying to get putty up and running because I can't figure out how I can copy and paste in Novaterm. I know I am a serious noobie here. What I am stuck at is getting my IP address to launch the terminal. I keep getting network error connection timed out....anyone have some time to assist?
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    So I am trying to get putty up and running because I can't figure out how I can copy and paste in Novaterm. I know I am a serious noobie here. What I am stuck at is getting my IP address to launch the terminal. I keep getting network error connection timed out....anyone have some time to assist?
    Using the right port, 222?

Mine usually times out the first time I try to connect after turning on wifi on the Pre as well, just because I'm impatient and try to connect immediately. But then it starts easily, after that.

There are also places in the webosinterlnals wiki that give putty settings, but not in one nice easy place. This site http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Putty gives the specific set-up for DynDNS, but all the settings besides IP address were similar, I think.
  3.    #3  
    yeah I followed all of those settings, oh well I just changed the carrier and color so that's my small victory for tonight. Ya know As I was trying to figure it out in the past 3 hours (with NO Experiance at all) how to edit files and root this phone, I realized how awesome this phone is going to be! I also realized after spending that time changing the carrier and color that my friends and family who may see it are going to think wooptie do big deal you made it say ZombieTel and made it red....Big deal... Well it was a big deal and an awakening within me...I cant wait to change more stuff...next up more launcher pages!! Good night Precentral and Good night Pre!

I felt the same way with my old T-Mobile MDA. After I went through a bunch of mods and roms. I felt like I was the king of PDA's, lol. I was trying to do what you did and change the carrier text. I had some problems hopefully you can give me a little advice on:

1. How do you know what line you are on? One of the instructions says to go to line 800!

2. What do you do to go from making the line changes to finishing up? I can't figure out how to get back so I can do this: mount -o remount ro /
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFishGuy View Post
    I felt the same way with my old T-Mobile MDA. After I went through a bunch of mods and roms. I felt like I was the king of PDA's, lol. I was trying to do what you did and change the carrier text. I had some problems hopefully you can give me a little advice on:

1. How do you know what line you are on? One of the instructions says to go to line 800!

2. What do you do to go from making the line changes to finishing up? I can't figure out how to get back so I can do this: mount -o remount ro /
    If you're using vi to edit files, the line number will be in the bottom right of the screen. It'll be something like 1/1684. The first number is the line you're on, the second is how many lines there are in the file.

Once you've made your changes, hit the Esc key then type :wq to save and quit the editor. It will take you back to the root@castle prompt.
  6.    #6  
    Basic Linux Use - WebOS Internals

I had to use the webos dr twice until i committed to reading this front to back....Now its saved to my desk top!

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    If you're using vi to edit files, the line number will be in the bottom right of the screen. It'll be something like 1/1684. The first number is the line you're on, the second is how many lines there are in the file.

Once you've made your changes, hit the Esc key then type :wq to save and quit the editor. It will take you back to the root@castle prompt.
    Thank you, I am using Putty to make my changes, I didn't notice a line count in it anywhere. So I guess VI is a different editing program?

Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    I had to use the webos dr twice until i committed to reading this front to back....Now its saved to my desk top!
    Thanks, I eventually found that link, I was so delirious. It was right in front of my face.
    Thank you, I am using Putty to make my changes, I didn't notice a line count in it anywhere. So I guess VI is a different editing program?
    vi is a text editor, putty is the terminal program/client used to connect to and execute commands on the pre. When SSH/putty into the pre, vi would run inside the putty window.
    I get what you're saying, putty is like a handler for vi. But where is this line counter? I want to use some of these other hacks but I'm not about to count each line. I was about to try using page down. Even that is a hassel and I dont want to edit the wrong line beacuse I can't count by 19's to 429, lol.
    I get what you're saying, putty is like a handler for vi. But where is this line counter? I want to use some of these other hacks but I'm not about to count each line. I was about to try using page down. Even that is a hassel and I dont want to edit the wrong line beacuse I can't count by 19's to 429, lol.

simply type

/string Search forward for string
    ?string Search back for string
    n Search for next instance of string
    N Search for previous instance of string

STRING is whatever your query is whether it is

/19 to go to line nineteen

or

/palm pre to find if palm pre is contained in the file

here is a good little vi cheat sheet Vi Cheat Sheet

alternatively you can use winscp to edit files if you have to use a gui and are running windows
    When I'm on putty and open a file in vi, the very bottom line on the right side contains something like "62/1746", that's the line counter. That would mean you're on line 62 of 1746, in this example. That counter is always there when I'm in vi, so I don't know what else to tell you really. (Does changing the Putty window size make a difference when in vi? I don't remember if it does or not)