1.    #1  
    I know successful tests have been done connecting TO your pre over WIFI (and reported on some occassions, even over EVDO) with telnet.

I'm looking to connect to a telnet server FROM the Pre, preferably over EVDO but over WIFI would be an acceptable alternative.

I'm thinking the easiest way would be to install the Terminal app and go from there. I'm a native bash user so I'm familiar with that aspect, but I know little about how the Pre works (besides last 2 hours I've spent trying to read everything at once). I guess the kind of information I'm looking for is the actual guts of the core/kernel. I assume Telnet is not available or installed (at least in the native way), but it shouldn't be much of a hop/skip/jump to get the native linux telnet onto the pre

Let me know if I'm atleast on the right track with the terminal thing. Also it would be relatively important to be able to scroll up (althought not neccesary) atleast a handful of lines

Also, if this is entirely impossible/unfeasable and I'm just an *****, or if it's right in front of my face and completely available, feel free to ignore me and/or flame
    If you've got your Pre setup with openSSH installed, then yeah, literally all you've gotta do is install the Terminal app. Then you're set. The binary is in /opt/bin/ as, drumroll please, ssh.
  3.    #3  
    Hm. Ok maybe my basic understanding of SSH is where lies my problems. I didn't believe ssh was synonomous with telnet. I mean, will it work if the server i'm connecting to doesn't support sercure connections?
  4.    #4  
    I see now that SSH is basically a replacement for telnet. That took very minimal amount of research, sorry for the bother

Thanks again.
    That, and...who would use a shell that isn't encrypted?
  6.    #6  
    Someone who's data isn't sensitive.

ie: MUDs

Also, this device is amazing.

Also whoever worked on the Terminal app is amazing. Most stable piece of "pre alpha" software I ever used!
    Quote Originally Posted by Prenosicator View Post
    Someone who's data isn't sensitive.

ie: MUDs

Also, this device is amazing.

Also whoever worked on the Terminal app is amazing. Most stable piece of "pre alpha" software I ever used!
    Hah, people still play those?! Nah, I used to MUSH a bit myself, back in the day...

But careful...or else the 4channerz can haz yer passwerd.
  8. qqq
    first get the terminal application installed...
    Application:Terminal - WebOS Internals

actually just start with Main Page - WebOS Internals, follow instructions for getting shell access (its easy to install bash or any other shell on the pre)

once logged in on the pre terminal, you can just run telnet from the command prompt.

Also, you can install the optware repositories, after which a huge selection of command line programs are available.
    Portal:Linux Applications - WebOS Internals

It would probably not be hard to build tinyfugue, which would probably be more what you're after.