Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    is web OS capable someday supporting mpg, or avi files?? or would an app created be possible to add this support?? if there is someone working on an app like this or willing to work on an app like this i would be more then willing to donate to the cause.
    why cant you just convert the files to mp4? its not hard, and im using a free converter.

hold on let me get the name...its called Free Studio Manager. That thing works like a charm
    considering I believe the WebOS uses gstreamer, you could probably try and hack in codec plugins or somethin
    I know sometimes to convert files are a pain in the *** because they take so long. However AVI or MPG are larger files. Why would you want to have a movie take up more room? You get the same quality if its an mp4. My question is, is there a program that will convert my DVD to an MP4? I can't seem to get any to do that successfully.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by nuzzle View Post
    I know sometimes to convert files are a pain in the *** because they take so long. However AVI or MPG are larger files. Why would you want to have a movie take up more room? You get the same quality if its an mp4. My question is, is there a program that will convert my DVD to an MP4? I can't seem to get any to do that successfully.
    xilisoft video converter will do just that
  6.    #6  
    still as was stated converting video files is time consuming and a pain in the ****. not to mention that many mp4 videos when converted get out of sync with the audio. to me it would just be easier to mod existing code or add an addition to it to allow playback of mpg and avi... the problem is i have very little knowledge on how to accomplish this. i have a few apps in the works for the pre but this task is beyond my skill level, and is why i am hoping someone is already working on this. i would definitely donate to any developer who can make a running app or mod to do this and i'm sure others would also.
    Global Posts
    554 Global Posts
    if someone wants to compile the source and give it a shot here's where you can find the source for the ffmpeg plugin for gstreamer: Index of /src/gst-ffmpeg
    http://phwelo.mobi
    for any questions or to send a donation: phwelo@gmail.com
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Handbrake is a good one, and free. HandBrake
    Technically, AVI aren't larger files. AVI is just audio/video interleave. They can be any type of codecs, INCLUDING MP4. Or they can be crappy old Indeo. Supporting MPEG is a pretty fixed target. Supporting AVI is like supporting MKV. They are just descriptions of some container to store arbitrary video and audio.

I think the easiest way to support the most would be to get VLC ported over, once an accelerated video driver is posted or if there is some method of pushing video out to something other than X.
  10.    #10  
    is there a VLC app for any other OS running on a smartphone?? i dont remember VLC on my old treo 700wx...
  11.    #11  
    bump...
  12.    #12  
    wow no ideas huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by knightflores View Post
    is there a VLC app for any other OS running on a smartphone?? i dont remember VLC on my old treo 700wx...
    VLC was posted to the iphone. I have the source code for it on my netbook. It is possible to port it to the pre if someone has the time and ability to do so. I am only beginning to try and learn to make apps for the pre so I'm not even close to the knowledge of the languages to undertake such a task.
    Quote Originally Posted by nuzzle View Post
    mp4 is an avi,its just a different container and unstandard audio,same as xvid and divx are avi's
    regardless,would be nice to have multi codec support like many other phones do
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by redninja View Post
    mp4 is an avi,its just a different container and unstandard audio,same as xvid and divx are avi's
    regardless,would be nice to have multi codec support like many other phones do
    which brings up the original question is the pre capable of multi codec support, and if so how would a developer add such support
    which brings up the original question is the pre capable of multi codec support, and if so how would a developer add such support
    Theoretically it should be capable of any codec that can be installed on linux. I'm assuming that the media player by palm simply uses codecs they have installed. The answer to how would a developer add such support would be to code a media player to use the codecs. Unfortunately the code process isn't as easy as making that statement. VLC media player already virtually supports all formats and codecs so it would be far easier to port it to the pre than to build a media player from the ground up to do the same. Seeing as it has been ported to the iphone this shouldn't be a big deal to port it to the pre. It just takes someone with the knowhow to make it happen.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    Theoretically it should be capable of any codec that can be installed on linux. I'm assuming that the media player by palm simply uses codecs they have installed. The answer to how would a developer add such support would be to code a media player to use the codecs. Unfortunately the code process isn't as easy as making that statement. VLC media player already virtually supports all formats and codecs so it would be far easier to port it to the pre than to build a media player from the ground up to do the same. Seeing as it has been ported to the iphone this shouldn't be a big deal to port it to the pre. It just takes someone with the knowhow to make it happen.
    so does anone have the know how to do this and are they willing to??? i would gladly donate to this app and im sure others would too!!!
    i know i had TCPMP for my centro
  19.    #19  
    Bump
  20.    #20  
    bump +1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast