Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. d94
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    Ya I want this I'm sick of conerting my avis to a file that's barelly smaller and looses such quality lol
    palm pro > visor > m100 > visor prism > clie sl30 > zire 71 > dell X5 > toshiba E755 > clie NX70 > ipaq 2200 > Treo 700w (verizon) > Treo 700wx (sprint) > Treo 755p (sprint) > HTC Mogul > HTC Diamond > HTC Touch Pro > Pre
  2.    #22  
    So is anyone willing to take this project on?
  3.    #23  
    bump... come on guys im willing to pay top dollar for this app
    This would be pretty nifty for streaming purposes. Who knows what sort of codecs you'll find being used on the web?
  5.    #25  
    bump
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    As StoneRyno said, it's possible. I'd love to have something like CorePlayer on the Pre. As the Pre becomes more popular, I'm sure some people with the right knowledge will step up. Remember the homebrew scene is just starting to see some more sophisticated apps. And I'm pretty sure this won't be possible with the SDK alone.

Maybe a model like My Tether would work. Plenty of people would pay for this.
    dude how many movies are you really gonna watch on this thing?
  8.    #28  
    any progress?
  9.    #29  
    there is so much progress being made on webOS its hard to believe that no one has made an app or code to do this
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    Technically, AVI aren't larger files. AVI is just audio/video interleave. They can be any type of codecs, INCLUDING MP4.
    If you know a way to get AVI to work with h.264 B-Frames, please let me know. There are a few reasons why AVI is never used as a container for MPEG-4 AVC.

What I am having trouble with is DivX 6.8 files with .avi. Without going through a lot of trial & error, does anyone know what the 'proper' way is to encode for the Pre when using h.263? Unlike with h.264 where anything goes as long as it validates within Baseline Profile 3, h.263 doesn't have a standards-based definition to follow, except DivX Lab's Profiles- none for which really apply to the Pre (Mobile is constrained to 320x240, which is below the Pre's 480x320; Home Theatre may be too complex for the Pre).

(if we never really find out how to properly use h.263, it really isn't a big loss, I'm just not going to put a lot of time into figuring it out when h.264 is much easier and efficient)
    converting is sooo 2001, we need xvid plugin now!!
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    For the love of god, change the title of this thread to something relevant
    Quote Originally Posted by jdale View Post
    Handbrake is a good one, and free. HandBrake
    QFT.

Use Handbrake. It's free, is available for Win, Lin, and Mac, and will convert ANY format to ANY format. (At least, I haven't run into one it won't convert yet. I've even converted .flv files!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishounen View Post
    QFT.

Use Handbrake. It's free, is available for Win, Lin, and Mac, and will convert ANY format to ANY format. (At least, I haven't run into one it won't convert yet. I've even converted .flv files!)
    !
    This is not a question of "just convert" any longer...this should happen. I want VLC on my pre...the work around is to convert...the solution is in a devs head somewhere out there....

also knightflores, I know you saw all these replies and hoped something was moving forward on this front...sorry for the let down.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  15.    #35  
    exactly converting takes time and a converter... i am in the military and sometimes dont have a converter at hand... it would be so much easier to just load a .mpeg, .avi, or divx file rather then convert... i am willing to donate to the progress of root or non root app to do this
    I posted this is a similar thread, and I'm not sure how many times i can say it.

The only video playback app available for the pre is the built in video player (which i'm pretty certain is built on their browser plugin).

This video playback app uses gstreamer, exclusively, for video decoding and playback.

As of right now, you can not add any sort of additional plugins to gstreamer due to the patch that palm built it with (available for reading from opensource.palm.com). This patch (we believe) was necesary to get the camera drivers functioning properly.

The only way to get plugins to work (and the described way that ajames got ogg/flac working) was to rebuild gstreamer with only parts of the patch. As of right now, there's no 'easy' or 'patchable' way of doing it, AND it breaks the camera.

The isn't as simple of a fix as people are making it out to be.

It's possible in the future we'll have access to additional libraries needed to access the video framwork already available in Luna, but I wouldn't hold your breath.
    Well I'll be damned. I rebuilt gstreamer and gst-plugins-base myself but I had no idea it broke the camera. Shows how often I use the damn thing haha. Ugh now to pour through that patch file again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leathal View Post
    Well I'll be damned. I rebuilt gstreamer and gst-plugins-base myself but I had no idea it broke the camera. Shows how often I use the damn thing haha. Ugh now to pour through that patch file again.

You're confusing those poor souls in the other thread about the Xvid support

Plus remember, there's a big difference between getting it to work on _your_ phone and building a patch the average user could get to work.

I think much could be done if you collaberated with ajames, as he has much experience with the gst registry patch issue you run into if you try not to rebuild.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12