View Poll Results: Would you pay for PreCheckers?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, for sure!

2 8.00%
  • Maybe, improvments would be nice...

8 32.00%
  • No way!

15 60.00%
    Global Posts
    491 Global Posts
    For those of you that don't look in the Homebrew section, I'm the developer of PreCheckers, and I need some help from you.

First off, please answer the poll question, would you pay for this app? It is currently available for free download via the Homebrew App section but when Palm launches the App Catalog and allows users to submit applications, I need to know if this app should remain free.

Now for the next issue, the name. Some developers have been getting flack about naming everything Pre(Insert Generic Name Here). Should I change the name of PreCheckers to just Checkers? Or keep it the same?

The last issue is for game play. Should I add music? If so, what kind?

Please let me know everyone!
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    I was the one who emailed you saying it was a great game. Ive found a few bugs, sometimes when an opponent jumps me, my check still is there. I think you should work out the bugs, add some music, and maybe some sort of background. just spiff u[ the gui a little bit. As for 'selling' it in the app store, Id spend $1 on it. Not that it isnt worth more but for me to play checks, you could just used a java based web applet.
    Global Posts
    491 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hydes2004 View Post
    I was the one who emailed you saying it was a great game. Ive found a few bugs, sometimes when an opponent jumps me, my check still is there. I think you should work out the bugs, add some music, and maybe some sort of background. just spiff u[ the gui a little bit. As for 'selling' it in the app store, Id spend $1 on it. Not that it isnt worth more but for me to play checks, you could just used a java based web applet.
    Okay, thanks for the feedback. I wouldn't put it up for more than $1, it's just a game of checkers.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    lol ok. i actully just finished playing when i went on the laptop and saw your post.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    also the 2 player button on mine does not work....
    although not a big deal for me as i only play in in the 'office' @ work
    Global Posts
    491 Global Posts
    You need to update to the latest version which includes two player.
    I wouldn't want background music and hope it would be disabled in options.

There is still a fairly annoying bug where phantom pieces ghost around the board. This is reproducible by rapidly double tapping a piece for a move. It looks as though selection actions should be ignored while the computer move is going on and moves should be validated before performed. It is like a bad move is entered into the processing queue.

PreCheckers = fail. Will the folks with an EOS know they can play it? This will be in a WebOS App Catalog (presumably). People will understand that it is for that platform. Just call it Checkers.
    Global Posts
    491 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    I wouldn't want background music and hope it would be disabled in options.

There is still a fairly annoying bug where phantom pieces ghost around the board. This is reproducible by rapidly double tapping a piece for a move. It looks as though selection actions should be ignored while the computer move is going on and moves should be validated before performed. It is like a bad move is entered into the processing queue.

PreCheckers = fail. Will the folks with an EOS know they can play it? This will be in a WebOS App Catalog (presumably). People will understand that it is for that platform. Just call it Checkers.
    Thanks for your suggestions! when you say "PreCheckers = fail", do you mean the name or the app itself?

Also: most of those bugs were fixed in the latest version. Are you using 1.4.3?
    I would pay for it. It can be really fun playing this game against your friends. Juts keep working on it until you cant find anything else that can be fixed or improved.

Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by kesne View Post
    Thanks for your suggestions! when you say "PreCheckers = fail", do you mean the name or the app itself?

Also: most of those bugs were fixed in the latest version. Are you using 1.4.3?
    Sorry, I meant the name. Everyone wants a PreSomething name. In my mind it is stupid. Pre is just the first of many WebOS devices that the software will run on it. It would be the same as releasing Win2kCheckers. Sure, it runs on XP fine. But either people will think it won't or they will chuckle at the antiquated name. Then you change the name and people wonder why the App is missing from the Catalog.
    It's a free world. If you want to make some money you should charge for it. Thing is, the app will need to be worth it or nobody is gonna buy it. I'm not into checkers at all so I can't really advise here.

I for one am planning to charge $.99-$1.99 for my calculator app (which is becoming really nice, slowly but surely) but I'll put out beta versions on here for free and pull them as soon as the app store is there. That way active PreCentral members can get it for free while I can make a bit of pocket cash through the app store
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    Global Posts
    491 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    It's a free world. If you want to make some money you should charge for it. Thing is, the app will need to be worth it or nobody is gonna buy it. I'm not into checkers at all so I can't really advise here.

I for one am planning to charge $.99-$1.99 for my calculator app (which is becoming really nice, slowly but surely) but I'll put out beta versions on here for free and pull them as soon as the app store is there. That way active PreCentral members can get it for free while I can make a bit of pocket cash through the app store
    Okay, thanks for the input! I know a lot of people aren't that into checkers, but I am :P
    For a buck, you can't go wrong on a classic. I was told long ago, if your on the fence about spending a dollar on something that you might want, you go with getting it. It's just a buck...

Gotta fix the bugs as mentioned above.
    Global Posts
    491 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    For a buck, you can't go wrong on a classic. I was told long ago, if your on the fence about spending a dollar on something that you might want, you go with getting it. It's just a buck...

Gotta fix the bugs as mentioned above.
    Thanks. I'm working on the bugs the best I can!

I fall into the category of people who love supporting developers, but not so much that it cuts into my budget . This is a 99 cent app for me. It's fun, but, no offense, its checkers. If it IS ever released into the app catalog and priced at 99 cents, I will download without thought. 1.99, maybe if some features are added such as achievements. Great work though, keep it up. Your talented at graphic design.
    The app thinks the pawns can jump backwards like the kings (multi jump opportunities), I don't know anything about selling stuff on the internet but if uncle sam is no sweat off your back I'd sell it. As a consumer I'd be more inclined to purchase if there was a trial period.
    The thing I've noticed about the game is that no matter what difficulty I'm playing on, the computer just seems to be insanely difficult to beat. On top of that, if I'm moving in on one of the computer's pieces, he will continuously jump back and forth from square to square to keep dodging me - much like an annoying 8-year old would if you played them at checkers.

There's no way I'd pay for this game in the current state it's in.. Hell, I even uninstalled it when I realized how retarded the computer player was.

All-in-all, the graphics are amazing. But the AI needs to be worked on immensely.
    Global Posts
    491 Global Posts
    Old thread, delete please