Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I know many of you on this site are eager to do more things with your Pre so I found this video on youtube that gives a step by step guide on how to root the Pre. It is very straightforward and way easier than using the webosinternals guide. Hope t helps many of you not so tech savy people.
    thats awesome You posted my video on the forums. I wasnt sure If I was actually helping anyone out or not. Guess I am
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrock85 View Post
    thats awesome You posted my video on the forums. I wasnt sure If I was actually helping anyone out or not. Guess I am
    It helps so much. I'm surprised no one created a video guide sooner. This will definitely help out a lot of people on this site. Thanks for it!
  4.    #4  
    Has anyone else been successful using this
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    great video. i will definitely be rooting my pre. you make it lok so easy.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by quietkvj View Post
    great video. i will definitely be rooting my pre. you make it lok so easy.
    I didn't make the video. I just found it. Hotrock85 made it. He did an awesome job making it. I know there are a lot of people on this site who want to root it but have no idea how to do it. This video makes it so easy. Thanks hotrock!
    your welcome
    novacom -t open tty://
    unable to find device

I'm getting this error for some reason.
    I've tried everything I know to make sure that i'm not missing anything. It connects to emulator fine tho'. Dunno
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    S - H - H file ... huh?

You mean ssh.
    Global Posts
    543 Global Posts
    Anyone fluent enough how to debug the following?

My linux is limited (only did a semester of programming in Java and visual basic). I'm not sure if I entered correctly the prompt indicated, but figured I'd give it a shot exactly as indicated. I started over the bootstrap installation, and the only thing different now in that process was the cmd prompt indicating I already had a username under 'test' - followed the youtube video. It indicated 'no sudoers' due to a syntax error, and I am unfamiliar in how to edit/debug these error prompts with a 'DOS' screen.

This is the message I am reading now, and I'm not sure what the next step is. My phone was acting a little buggy today so I'm not sure if the syntax error could be causing some running slow down, but I just want to make sure my system is working properly:

login as: test
    test@192.168.0.102's password:
    test@castle:~$ sudo su -
    >>> /opt/etc/sudoers: syntax error near line 35 <<<
    sudo: parse error in /opt/etc/sudoers near line 35
    sudo: no valid sudoers sources found, quitting
    test@castle:~$ edit/opt/etc/sudoers
    -sh: edit/opt/etc/sudoers: not found
    test@castle:~$ cd /tmp
    test@castle:/tmp$ wget http://gitorious.org/webos-internals...trap/blobs/raw
    /master/optware-bootstrap.sh
    Connecting to gitorious.org (87.238.52.168:80)
    wget: can't open 'optware-bootstrap.sh': File exists
    test@castle:/tmp$ sh optware-bootstrap.sh

I assume I'm stuck as I just am not fluent in linux coding, but it appears my optware-bootstrap file has a problem? Thought on fixing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    your issue is because of the error around the sudoers file. The user you login as (test) needs to be in the sudoers file in order for the "sudo su -" command to work. Without "sudo su -" working correctly, you dont get "root" access. Without root access, you can't do any of the mods you want to do.

You'll notice you have root access when the command prompt changes from $ to #

notice how you are still under "$" after you try to login

test@castle:~$ sudo su -
    >>> /opt/etc/sudoers: syntax error near line 35 <<<
    sudo: parse error in /opt/etc/sudoers near line 35
    sudo: no valid sudoers sources found, quitting
    test@castle:~$ edit/opt/etc/sudoers

Try doing the process again but this time use a different username. My user is "preuser" and not test and I had no issue creating that user and adding that user to the sudoers

This is what your command prompt should look like once you are logged in as "root" correctly:

preuser@castle:~$ sudo su -
    Password:
    root@castle:/var/home/root#
    Last edited by Delta-9; 07/27/2009 at 10:40 PM.
    Global Posts
    543 Global Posts
    The problem I seem to have is when I set up the new user, the message I get is to create an 'unprivelaged username' Which once set up does not include the "[J" at the end of: root@castle:/# ←[J

Step by step, here is what I do:

1: Run CMD
    2: Paste "cd \program files\palm\sdk\bin " <Enter>
    3: Paste "novacom -t open tty://" <Enter>

The prompt changes to: root@castle:/#

4: Paste "cd /tmp
    wget http://gitorious.org/webos-internals...e-bootstrap.sh
    sh optware-bootstrap.sh" <Enter>
    5: This is where it indicates to set up an unprivelaged username. Problem is I need privaleges to reaccess root...do I need to paste a command to change the username I create to give it root access privelages?

Again sorry for the noob questions and I appreciate any help.
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    The privileged user is the user you create after you run the "sh optware-bootstrap.sh" command. This process should also add the user you create to the sudoers file. So when you do the "sudo su -" command it allows you in to access the privileged root account.
    Global Posts
    543 Global Posts
    Yes I had the privaleged account created and successfully added several apps and mods requiring rooting, my problem is I went through the 'broken' process in "show battery %" icon a couple days ago, and it seems I managed to somehow change access to root so that the previously 'privaleged' account no longer has access.
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    Should've mentioned that previously since that throws a big monkey wrench into the situation. I can't begin to speculate about what could be the problem. I would start with pasting the contents of your sudoers file since that appears to be where the problem at least starts. Maybe someone can show what their *working* sudoers file looks like to help with this situation. I can paste the contents of mine later tonight -- can't do it here at work we do not have wireless access for me to get into my phone from here.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotrock85 on Youtube
    HAHA got a video camera to work on the Pre and have an easier rooting method. subscribe to my videos so when I post the new video you know right away. The video with also show you a trick on how to get your battery to last for at least 3 days even with heavy use
    Wowww. Video camera and better battery? Sounds like a troll.
    If it's true, I will love you so much!

Edit: And post them here!!
    good vid!
  18.    #18  
    When the new video comes out, I'll edit the thread.
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    Here is the contents of my sudoers file (/opt/etc/sudoers)

-----snip------
    root@castle:/opt/etc# cat sudoers
    # sudoers file.
    #
    # This file MUST be edited with the 'visudo' command as root.
    # Failure to use 'visudo' may result in syntax or file permission errors
    # that prevent sudo from running.
    #
    # See the sudoers man page for the details on how to write a sudoers file.
    #

# Host alias specification

# User alias specification

# Cmnd alias specification

# Defaults specification

# Runas alias specification

# User privilege specification
    root ALL=(ALL) ALL

# Uncomment to allow people in group wheel to run all commands
    # %wheel ALL=(ALL) ALL

# Same thing without a password
    # %wheel ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL

# Samples
    # %users ALL=/sbin/mount /cdrom,/sbin/umount /cdrom
    # %users localhost=/sbin/shutdown -h now
    preuser ALL=(ALL) ALL
    -----snip------

notice I have "preuser" at the bottom. This was added by the "sh optware-bootstrap.sh" command.

I would "cat /opt/etc/sudoers" and see what the bottom of your file looks like. My file is only 32 lines. Your error above it complaining about a syntax error on line 35. I have a feeling you have something in your file between line 32 and 36 that is causing your problems.
    Global Posts
    543 Global Posts
    Unfortunately because I don't have access, I can't view these files....problem is compounded by constant time out errors, even when my display is on and WiFi running

UGH!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast