Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I had a VERY handy Geocaching program on my Windows Mobile phone. I can't remember what it was called.

All it did was this:

Once you tap the icon the launch the program, nothing happened for about 30 seconds. In that time, the program was acquiring your current GPS coordinates (from internal GPS) and then entering the lat-long into this page:

Geocaching - Hide and Seek a Cache

and then it opens the web browser with the results. Voillla, all the nearest geocaches to your current location!

It would be great, if you could have the program remember your username and password, with the option to filter out your finds.

I'm not a programmer, but I think this is something that can be done in about 5 minutes. Any takers?

thanks
    As a programmer, a Hello World app cannot be done in 5 minutes. Non programmers do not understand the little nice pieces that all well polished apps require just to not do much. I'm not saying it is a bad idea. I think it has merit. However, it will take more time than you think.
  3.    #3  
    maybe so. I do think it could be done by the end of the day though. There is NO user interface that needs to be done. You just tap the icon, and then it launches the webbrowser.
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    I have been a programming freelancer for a while now. One of the first things I learned is to run away screaming when a bid request has the words "Easy" in it.

That said, this probably is a one-day project.

I might try it myself as my first app.

Actually, I will do it.
  5.    #5  
    Like I said, I'm not a programmer, but I do do other technical work. I understand, and appreciate, that work like this is not always as easy as some people think. I often get requests with "that should only take you a hour or so", when in reality its a 2-3 day project.

thanks for the help. I'd really love to have this app!
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    ngc2000, this app is done. PM me for details. There's not much to it, but I'd like you to sort of 'beta' test it before I release it in the homebrew apps... Hope that sounds ok?
    I just posted Go To Tool ipk to the Web OS Dev forum.

It has a near button that does what you ask. It did take less than an hour to develop the code to get a GPS fix and launch the browser when I started my project 2.5 weeks ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    As a programmer, a Hello World app cannot be done in 5 minutes. Non programmers do not understand the little nice pieces that all well polished apps require just to not do much. I'm not saying it is a bad idea. I think it has merit. However, it will take more time than you think.
    I really hope you're including the time it takes to install a toolchain in that 5 minutes...

Code:
    #include <stdio.h>

int main(int argc, char** argv) {
    	printf("Hello world\n");
    	return 0;
    }
    Because this post didn't take 5 minutes to type!

And actually...with webOS a simple compass shouldn't take much more than 5 minutes if you already have experience working with GPS data!
    Quote Originally Posted by randallagordon View Post
    And actually...with webOS a simple compass shouldn't take much more than 5 minutes if you already have experience working with GPS data!
    So, that included detecting the state of the GPS, asking the user if they want to turn it on, providing a nice delay indicator when the GPS is acquiring a fix, providing nice feedback to the user on the various errors the GPS returns?

You can hack something together to do this in a couple minutes. I don't really call that an App, unless it has at least a little polish to it.

A true Hello World app in a WebOS sense would have a proper scene, being pushed by the stagecontroller. Yes, testing and packaging that will take more than 5 minutes. I guess if you don't care to test, fine. When estimating projects, I realize that testing is often 1-2x coding time and include it. If you have ever worked for money for project, you would do the same.

The point I was getting across is that "easy" is always said by those not doing the work. This is in fact "easy" but nothing is 5 mins "easy".
    Code:
    #include <stdio.h>

int main(int argc, char** argv) {
    	printf("Hello world\n");
    	return 0;
    }
    Because this post didn't take 5 minutes to type!
    But then, that's not a WebOS program for a Pre. (Scene, Stage etc)
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    But then, that's not a WebOS program for a Pre. (Scene, Stage etc)
    Heh, no, but it isn't exactly difficult to get <div id='whatever'></div> and $('whatever').update('Hello world!'); tossed into the code that the palm batch files or Eclipse generate for you, either. And...what testing is required with a freakin' "Hello World" app? Are we really breeding coders this whiny today?

Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    So, that included detecting the state of the GPS, asking the user if they want to turn it on, providing a nice delay indicator when the GPS is acquiring a fix, providing nice feedback to the user on the various errors the GPS returns?
    Okay, an hour, two at most. Handling various error conditions that the GPS API could toss back at you being the hardest part...
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    Attached .ipk file
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Okay, an hour, two at most. Handling various error conditions that the GPS API could toss back at you being the hardest part...
    That I agree with. Actually the GPS only fires back 4 or 5 types of errors, if I remember. Haven't read through that in a couple week though.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Ok, so I might as well post my version up as well! Let me know if anybody wants anything changed or edited.

It's pretty simple, but according to the original poster it didn't require much. You have the option to change the radius that you are searching from you, tap the button and it'll open that page in a new browser window!

Cheers!

EDIT: I've uploaded this to the Homebrew Apps section...
    http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...55#post1788255
    Last edited by mfive; 07/29/2009 at 12:44 AM.
    Already been done in HomeBrew.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...1-go-tool.html

See nearby caches to be added.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Yea... Wish I would have known before I started... Oh well it was fun. Off to our project paladin!
  17.    #17  
    Both apps work great! Thanks for the work.

Now, I know the Go To Tool has the same functionality, but I usually carry a stand alone GPS, and don't need the on phone compass. I'll probably use the 2 new apps, to do quick lookups of cache pages, since they are simpler, and not trying to do more than I need. I'd recommend adding them to the Homebrew section.

thanks!
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ngc2000 View Post
    Both apps work great! Thanks for the work.

Now, I know the Go To Tool has the same functionality, but I usually carry a stand alone GPS, and don't need the on phone compass. I'll probably use the 2 new apps, to do quick lookups of cache pages, since they are simpler, and not trying to do more than I need. I'd recommend adding them to the Homebrew section.

thanks!
    Any suggestions or alterations needed on mine? If not I'll put it in the homebrew forum tonight
  19.    #19  
    The only other addition I can think of, would be to have the user enter their username and password (and save it), so you can automatically filter out finds.

Its not necessary, but it would be nice. I;d go ahead and post it, and then add the extras later.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Ahhh that's right. I'll signup tonight for that site so I can get that addition made. I'll let you know how it goes!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast