Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
    No my Win32 Exit Code say 1067...not 0
    This is horrible! I wanna cry!
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    this is not working on my mac ive been trying all kinds of methods but it just wont work.... i have osx can you help me!!! plz
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Well, I finally got WebOSquickInstall to work. I tried it on three different Vista machines, and kept getting the same results. I was nearly ready to blame the cable; or God forbid, the Pre.

One of my old Vista laptops had to be updated since March for the OS and virus definitions. Not something I would normally do. I'd just let things die in the briefcase, but I was desperate. Wast of time, it didn't work!

So I finally broke out my Windows 7 eeePC, and did the edit the MSI thing, and it WORKED! Not the Pre, and not the cable; Vista! God, I HATE Vista!

I had the netbook and the laptop running at the same time at one point, and the puny little netbook uninstalled the driver, shut down to off, restarted, and was ready to go before the laptop was done just starting up, and still had the funky gas gauge showing. God I HATE Vista (oh I already said that).

Anyway, all is not joy yet. I was able to remove my tweaks in preparation for 1.2, but I got impatient and decided to upgrade with the Doctor. Hah!

The Doctor took one look and my system and decided to remove the hacked NovaComd driver and put it's own in! Which of course broke it! So, I can run QuickInstall but I can't run the Doctor!

So what I'd have to do to get that to run would be to put the hacked NovaComd installer in the Doctor, and let it do it's thing. I think I know how to do that, but I'm hesitant to try lest I brick my Pre.

Oh well, I've waited this long, I guess I can wait for Palm's servers to cool off a little.

When is Quickinstall going to be 1.2 compliant? Again, I've not had it work (much) until now, I guess I can wait for that too.

Oh, One suggestion. On the netbook's 600 by 1024 screen the tweaks menu doesn't fit on the screen, and the "CLOSE" button is inaccessible. I use the X to close it, but I'm not sure that closes it properly. I even hid the toolbar (which I hate) but still couldn't reach the button. Is there anything that can be done about that short of plugging in to an external monitor? Or is the X sufficient?
    I've tried to do this about a hundred times, it still isn't working.. Please just help me.
    This is a very long thread, and the solution may already have been stated once... not sure... but here is the QUICK summary that solves the problem using 'OEM' parts

The Situation:
    1. Running Windows Vista x64 or Windows 7 x64
    2. Virtual Box, Emulator and SDK install - no issues
    3. You can't get your physical Pre to work with the SDK
    4. The Device Manager indicates "novacom linux" driver isn't installed! (yellow !)

The Background:
    1. On Vista x64 or Windows 7 x64, the "novacom linux" device drivers aren't found... therefore things like "novacom.exe" doesn't see your Pre.
    2. The SDK doesn't include the x64 drivers.
    3. There are Drivers for x64, you just need 'em.

The Solution - Short
    (if you are wild and crazy)
    1. Install the Palm "palm.com/us/support/downloads/pre/recoverytool/webos_java_sprint.html" webOS Doctor with your Pre disconncted and exit before your actually mess with your Pre. It will install the x64 driver for you.

The Solution - Detailed
    [I](if you are no so much wild and crazy)[I]
    1. UNPLUG YOUR PRE NOW and leave it disconnected until you are ALL done!
    2. Download and install SDK & Virtual Box: See "developer.palm.com"
    3. Make sure your SDK work well with the emulator
    4. Confirm that you see 'novacom linux' in your Device Manager in windows with a "Yellow !"
    5. Download the latest WebOS(tm) Doctor from: "palm.com/us/support/downloads/pre/recoverytool/webos_java_sprint.html"

(MAKE SURE YOUR PRE IS NOT CONNECTED!!!)

6. Run the Install.
    7. You will see that app install the x64 driver... click Yes.
    8. When you get to (image here if I had enought post counts) make sure you,EXIT!!!
    9. Make sure you pre is in developer mode see: "developer.palm.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1753"
    10. Plug it in... watch the drivers be happy!

Note: This worked fine on my Vista x64, but on my Windows 7 x64, the driver installed no problem, but the novacom isn't quite right.... may require a reboot.
    Last edited by FunkyMonkey; 10/01/2009 at 10:44 PM.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    That's OK except I have Vista x32 on two of my computersand it still doesn't work on either of them.

I have Win7 x32 on my netbook, and it works there with the hacked MSI. So I know it's not the cable or the Pre, but when I run the Doctor on it, it insists on replacing the working driver with it's own; which, of course, breaks it!
    Wow after troubleshooting my problem where the pc could not see the Pre. I then took a few minutes to look at everything and realized that I was connecting the Pre thew a printer USB port. the Printer was connected to the pc thew usb. I connected the Pre direct to the pc and Bingo there is was. If we only take a few minutes.. One things I did learn a log about editing an msi.. thanks for all the all the inf
    I'm lost, please help! I downloaded the 7zip thing and the Orca as well.. extracted the novacominstaller_x86.. but DO NOT have the "open with Orca" option in the drop down window?? I'm operating off of windows Vista.... Any help would be appreciated, thanks!!
    If it helps anyone... I've got Windows 7 64-bit (RTM version, not RC) and this is what I did to get Novacom running. Worked perfect the first time.. no Orca... no funny business.

• Download the latest WebOS Dr. (links all over the place here; I used the link in the WebOSQuickInstall thread).
    • Open the ZIP file and browse to the \resources folder inside the archive.
    • For 32-bit, extract the NovacomInstaller_x86.msi file to your desktop.
    • For 64-bit, extract the NovacomInstaller_x64.msi file to your desktop.
    • Run the installer, and answer [Yes] when/if prompted to allow the application to run.
    • Install will run through and finish.
    • Done.
    • Check the Services list in Windows (or sc query novacomd from cmd prompt) to verify it's happy.

I then installed WebOSQuickInstall and used the file send/receive to make my LED notifications changes.

Word of warning though, Java isn't playing perfecly nice w/ Windows 7 yet...

Have fun.
    Great, this is exactly what i needed. I was ****ed when I couldn't use the Quick Installer with WebOS 1.2, then when 1.2.1, the 1st this I did was download the installer, then "ERROR: No Device". At that point I hated this site. "Why would you tease me like that?" but then I found this thread and it saved my life. Thanks
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Thanks insane. Followed your steps to extract the 32-bit .msi file from the WebOSDr .jar file (used WinRar) and ran it. WebOSQuickInstall then correctly found my Palm on Win7.

Cheers.
    Your link to the WebOSDoctor recovery rom does not seem to be working.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by curtisarch View Post
    Your link to the WebOSDoctor recovery rom does not seem to be working.
    Use the updated link on this thread instead:

http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...-7-beyond.html
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MortiseMaker View Post
    You can check the configuration of your Novacom service by bringing up a command prompt (press the Windows key then press r on your keyboard and type cmd and click OK or Click Start->All Programs->Accessories->Command Prompt) then issue the following command in that window:

sc qc novacomd

==========Result should be something like:==========

C:\>sc qc novacomd
    [SC] QueryServiceConfig SUCCESS

SERVICE_NAME: novacomd
    TYPE : 10 WIN32_OWN_PROCESS
    START_TYPE : 2 AUTO_START
    ERROR_CONTROL : 1 NORMAL
    BINARY_PATH_NAME : C:\Program Files (x86)\Palm\SDK\bin\novacom\x86\novacomd.exe
    LOAD_ORDER_GROUP :
    TAG : 0
    DISPLAY_NAME : Palm Novacom
    DEPENDENCIES :
    SERVICE_START_NAME : LocalSystem

C:\>
    ==========end of configuration result==========

Next, check to see if the Novacom service is running:

sc query novacomd

==========Result should be something like:==========
    C:\>sc query novacomd

SERVICE_NAME: novacomd
    TYPE : 10 WIN32_OWN_PROCESS
    STATE : 4 RUNNING
    (STOPPABLE, NOT_PAUSABLE, IGNORES_SHUTDOWN)
    WIN32_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
    SERVICE_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
    CHECKPOINT : 0x0
    WAIT_HINT : 0x0

C:\>
    ==========End of service running check=========

If you do not get STATE RUNNING - check the EXIT codes for other than zero. If they are NOT zero, the installation of Novacom needs to be removed via Add/Remove programs, the PC COLD rebooted (meaning shutdown to complete power off and then restart) and try the Novacom software installation again.

If the EXIT codes are zero and the STATE was STOPPED, you can start the service by entering the command:

sc start novacomd

and recheck the service using the previously stated commands.
    All of the above is OK but my computer still will not accept any novacom commands! I keep getting "novacom is not recognized as an internal or external command...."

I'm trying to root the Spring Nav app onto a Bell Pre and am getting very frustrated. I've asked Jason for help but I know that he is incredibly busy. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I've loaded novacom through the WebOS Quick Install and also manually as suggested here. The above query all seems to suggest that Novacom is properly installed and running but it will not respond to the main command "novacom -t open tty://".
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
    All of the above is OK but my computer still will not accept any novacom commands! I keep getting "novacom is not recognized as an internal or external command...."

I'm trying to root the Spring Nav app onto a Bell Pre and am getting very frustrated. I've asked Jason for help but I know that he is incredibly busy. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I've loaded novacom through the WebOS Quick Install and also manually as suggested here. The above query all seems to suggest that Novacom is properly installed and running but it will not respond to the main command "novacom -t open tty://".
    Figured it out. To be able to use the "novacom" commands, you have to download the Palm SDK Mojo first and install it. It is not enough to just have novacom loaded and installed on your PC. You can download the Palm SDK from this link:

Registration
    Jason or someone, I need assistance rather badly. please help me with the pre and this preware. my pre is very boring compared to all the apps these sites have that i can get. please. I followed thru with the instructions in ur posts but it clearly is something i'm missing out on. I dont see it but i guess that is not good enough.

Please contact me asap. thanks
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Did it all, installed properly, but I still get the ERROR; NO DEVICE FOUND. I'm running vista I don't know if that matters or not.

Thanks!
    I did the 6th step and when i went to go run the msi it says "This installation package is not supported by this processor type. Contact your product vendor."
    Quote Originally Posted by insane42 View Post
    If it helps anyone... I've got Windows 7 64-bit (RTM version, not RC) and this is what I did to get Novacom running. Worked perfect the first time.. no Orca... no funny business.

• Download the latest WebOS Dr. (links all over the place here; I used the link in the WebOSQuickInstall thread).
    • Open the ZIP file and browse to the \resources folder inside the archive.
    • For 32-bit, extract the NovacomInstaller_x86.msi file to your desktop.
    • For 64-bit, extract the NovacomInstaller_x64.msi file to your desktop.
    • Run the installer, and answer [Yes] when/if prompted to allow the application to run.
    • Install will run through and finish.
    • Done.
    • Check the Services list in Windows (or sc query novacomd from cmd prompt) to verify it's happy.

I then installed WebOSQuickInstall and used the file send/receive to make my LED notifications changes.

Word of warning though, Java isn't playing perfecly nice w/ Windows 7 yet...

Have fun.
    Thanks man!!
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast