Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
    I've tried every thing to fix this, but can't get past the "ERROR: no device found" part. Tried the orca thing and went step by step through the main tutorial several times. Using vista on a 64 bit system. Am about to give up and be stuck with the official boring apps. No homebrew for me.
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    I have windows7x64. If I use this method to install the novacom driver, and then download putty, will those two alone be sufficient to gain root access to my pre?
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    may i suggest uploading the webosdoctor.jar file to a faster server? i have been trying "literally" all day to download this file and i'm finding it painfully slow. i've tried downloading it manually as well as through the automatic download in the webosquickinstall and it's been snail's pace both ways. at first i thought it might have been my connection but i downloaded over a gigabyte of work related data from sendspace in the same time period. thx
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by savageclaw View Post
    I've tried every thing to fix this, but can't get past the "ERROR: no device found" part. Tried the orca thing and went step by step through the main tutorial several times. Using vista on a 64 bit system. Am about to give up and be stuck with the official boring apps. No homebrew for me.
    Again, let's please keep this thread clean of WebOSQuickInstall stuff. That said, please read my Troubleshooting post.

Quote Originally Posted by benblush View Post
    may i suggest uploading the webosdoctor.jar file to a faster server? i have been trying "literally" all day to download this file and i'm finding it painfully slow. i've tried downloading it manually as well as through the automatic download in the webosquickinstall and it's been snail's pace both ways. at first i thought it might have been my connection but i downloaded over a gigabyte of work related data from sendspace in the same time period. thx
    Legally I can't advise this, unfortunately. If it weren't for the legal issues and warnings I received, I could've made installation/setup a lot simpler. However that code is rightfully Palm's and having the user download it by choice is my little workaround.

I'm not quite sure what speed issues you're having though. I download it at about 400kb/s, pretty fast. And it's fro Palm's servers so it'll be reliable
    Im getting frustrated. It did everything until I right clicked and it did not say 'edit with orca'. Help!
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Lorie- You need to go back into your folder where ever you extracted your MSI file to and "right-click" that to find "edit with orca". My guess is your right-clicking the MSI in your archive manager

As well- To everyone still having problems with the no device error message. Don't over-look Jason's advice and check out his "Troubleshooting" thread. The fix should be right there at #1. Open your WebOsQuickInstall.. Go to file in the upper left corner.. Click options, and then attempt Novacom (re)installation. After hours trying to fix the problem, that's what did it. Not even sure if I needed to go the whole Orca route. Thanks Jason!

Good Luck all
    Last edited by Airick8055; 08/11/2009 at 10:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ret2961 View Post
    Did it all, installed properly, but I still get the ERROR; NO DEVICE FOUND...

Thanks!
    The exact same thing happened to me =/
    Ehh forget what I said, I didn't see the FAQ you posted. Thanks ;D
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    This should get the sticky!
    Quote Originally Posted by ret2961 View Post
    Did it all, installed properly, but I still get the ERROR; NO DEVICE FOUND...

Thanks!
    I get no device found as well.
    I was having the same error w/ finding the device as everyone else, and this solution worked! I am on an XP...who knows what bit, but I went with 32. Once I ran the extracted and edited NovacomInstaller_x86.msi - it worked. No restart or anything. Pre was plugged in and instantly recognized as a Novacom device.

I'm a total noob...but a persistent one. So don't give up if you're having troubles!

Thanks for making my Pre MUCH more fun!
    i keep getting no device found when i click install it says my novacom is started in services
    I have the webosquickinstall working fine, THANKS JASON! My problem is that I can't get novacom to load correctly when I try to get root access to the Pre? I have novacom in the proper directory as the sdk and I have tried to install the modified msi files which I altered via orca in the instructions in the OP. When I try to stary novaterm I get "application failed to initialize properly error? I have installed, removed and then reinstalled the SDK. The webos emulator runs fine and I am able to run webosquickinstall as well. But for reason the novcom drivers do not appear to load properly and I cannot run novaterm to root my pre? Anyone know what is going on? I'm running Vista 32 bit....

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  14.    #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic View Post
    I have the webosquickinstall working fine, THANKS JASON! My problem is that I can't get novacom to load correctly when I try to get root access to the Pre? I have novacom in the proper directory as the sdk and I have tried to install the modified msi files which I altered via orca in the instructions in the OP. When I try to stary novaterm I get "application failed to initialize properly error? I have installed, removed and then reinstalled the SDK. The webos emulator runs fine and I am able to run webosquickinstall as well. But for reason the novcom drivers do not appear to load properly and I cannot run novaterm to root my pre? Anyone know what is going on? I'm running Vista 32 bit....
    Try StartMenu->Run..->"cmd" then type "novacom -t open tty://" That gives you root access
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Try StartMenu->Run..->"cmd" then type "novacom -t open tty://" That gives you root access

THANKS!!! That worked! Is there anyway I can make a shortcut to the command terminal so I don't have to enter this every time? Yeah I know I'm lazy...

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  16.    #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic View Post
    THANKS!!! That worked! Is there anyway I can make a shortcut to the command terminal so I don't have to enter this every time? Yeah I know I'm lazy...
    Make a .bat file with "cmd.exe /k novacom -t open tty://"
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Make a .bat file with "cmd.exe /k novacom -t open tty://"

Wow, thanks!

Is there a way to setup novacom onto a Macbook?
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    i am using windows 7 and i can't access novaterm...everytime i try to to it through the cmd prompt with the novacom -t open tty:// but the message i get is 'novacom' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file
    Thank a lot!!! It was very helpful! After spending my day on it and loosing hope completely, I actually got it!!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast