Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Hey all,

First off I want to say thanks for the stream of sftware coming out of homebrew. A large selection of apps makes the difference between a success and a flop I think.

I was wondering if it is possible to include an app that easily runs the scripts to make popular hacks happen (i.e. the battery gauge as a percentage, roam only, tethering enable) Would we need root access to do these things?

i for one would be wlling to donate to a program like this
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I second this
    Already exists, they're called quilt (for installing patches to existing code) and fileCoaster (for installing homebrew IPK's).
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by randallagordon View Post
    Already exists, they're called quilt (for installing patches to existing code) and fileCoaster (for installing homebrew IPK's).
    I wonder if there is a possibility of patch to allow copy-paste from incoming text messages and web pages ? ... and then global copy to allow copy-paste in many places where it is currently not supported.
    fileCoaster let's you do precisely that with IPKs.

As for patches, not to be elitist or anything, but for the many of the patches available, if someone isn't comfortable doing them "by hand" or using quilt at the command line, they likely shouldn't be installing the patches anyways. (quilt is dead easy to use...ensures the user has basic prerequisite knowledge.) For some of the available mods, there's a high risk of screwing something up that isn't easy to fix. As in, better just go grab webOS Doctor and wipe the thing...
    Quote Originally Posted by randallagordon View Post
    I use fileCoaster but where is quit? does it need root? I would like to increase the number of launcher pages but not willing (or able) to root.
    Laissez Faire
    What mods are already in the webos-internals quilt? I can't seem to find a listing.

You need to access Linux(formerly known as rooting) to access quilt.
    Quote Originally Posted by prubin View Post
    I use fileCoaster but where is quit? does it need root? I would like to increase the number of launcher pages but not willing (or able) to root.
    You must access the command line to use quilt at this time. And I don't get the deal with people being unwilling to "root" their Pre. Guess what, it already is. There's flat out not a password on it, you just connect your client and you're in. You're not changing anything about the device, Sprint nor Palm has any way of knowing. The security simply comes from only allowing a "local" connection...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    What mods are already in the webos-internals quilt? I can't seem to find a listing.

You need to access Linux(formerly known as rooting) to access quilt.
    Set up quilt as directed on the predevwiki/webosinternals wiki, and then it'll show you which patches are available. Oh, and I guess I could be a nice guy and just give you a website link. Here ya go: Tree for modifications in WebOS Internals - Gitorious

However, I'm having one other problem with the current quilt set-up: there's no good way to know which of the patches in the quilt/gitorious repository are updated for 1.1.0 while in terminal. You can tell it to automatically update the patches, if an update is available, but then it's tedious to see when the patch was last updated, and what version of webOS is currently supported. This could be VERY easily solved by putting the webOS version number in the name of the patch when uploading it to gitorious, but of course that's not being done at this time. That way, when you pull up the list of available patches in the terminal, the version supported will be shown right there in the listing. Who can I talk to to get this suggestion put in place? An IRC channel somewhere?

ETA: I realized one solution for my quandary could also be checking the gitorious website. Here is the change log for the modifications in the gitorious repository: modifications in WebOS Internals - Gitorious. Looks like some have been updated for 1.1.0, but possibly not all patches?
    Last edited by pullbangdead; 07/27/2009 at 01:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by pullbangdead View Post
    Set up quilt as directed on the predevwiki/webosinternals wiki, and then it'll show you which patches are available.

However, I'm having one other problem with the current quilt set-up: there's no good way to know which of the patches in the quilt/gitorious repository are updated for 1.1.0. You can tell it to automatically update the patches, if an update is available, but then it's tedious to see when the patch was last updated, and what version of webOS is currently supported. This could be VERY easily solved by putting the webOS version number in the name of the patch when uploading it to gitorious, but of course that's not being done at this time. That way, when you pull up the list of available patches in the terminal, the version supported will be shown right there in the listing. Who can I talk to to get this suggestion put in place? An IRC channel somewhere?
    Indeed, certainly something that should be addressed. And yes, there is the #webos-internals IRC channel on freenode, you might drop by and suggest it.
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pullbangdead View Post
    ETA: I realized one solution for my quandary could also be checking the gitorious website. Here is the change log for the modifications in the gitorious repository: modifications in WebOS Internals - Gitorious. From reading this, it seems that jjvcuyler updated the patches for 1.1.0. Am I reading this correctly that he updated all the patches to 1.1.0? If so, what a nice guy. Still would be nice to see version number included when getting the patches available while in terminal, or maybe some other better way?
    Actually if you look closely at the commits, he only changed the messaging/message-forwarding.patch and messaging/messaging-sounds.patch.

Hopefully others would update their patches for webOS 1.1

Thanks... plee3
    Quote Originally Posted by plee3 View Post
    Actually if you look closely at the commits, he only changed the messaging/message-forwarding.patch and messaging/messaging-sounds.patch.

Hopefully others would update their patches for webOS 1.1

Thanks... plee3
    Yeah, clicking further in I saw that "updated the rest" was just referring to "the rest" of that one patch. Removed it from my previous post to avoid confusion.
    I tested tested a couple of the quilt patches, The add/delete launcher pages works with 1.1. The one for unhiding the dev mode icon doesn't but that is extremely simple to edit as it is only one word that has to be changed in a file with only a few lines in it. There are a couple mods that don't have quilt patches that are updated for 1.1. Anyone willing to make perform the editing process and comfortable using the steps provided for making the patch for quilt can do so.

Gaining access to linux is easy, even easier than it was before, since now it can all be done with scripts so all you need to do is copy and paste a few command lines into the terminal to perform a lot of the stuff on webos-internals. At 1st I avoided it because of the number of steps involved but anyone familiar with using a command prompt even if you don't know exactly what is going on can do the stuff. Sure there is a small risk of if you mess up a file having trouble with the pre but something that has been tested that risk is extremely low. The higher danger is in if you decide to start messing around on your own. I'm reminded of those people who go into the windows folder and delete files or folders and then their pc is acting wierd or not working and then when they are told well you shouldn't have deleted that stuff they go really? I thought I was getting rid of something I didn't need.