1.    #1  
    I just noticed that homebrew apps I was installing stopped showing up in the Pre. after deleting some apps I wasn't going to use I was able to install additional apps again, and now they are not installing again unless i remove one first. Is there a way to increase the limit?
    In regards to homebrews we really don't know yet I don't think. There have been reports that once you install so many homebrews you can't install anymore but this may just be because of the way you install them. It's an 8g device, with about 7.6g usable so once the app store is OFFICIAL i would assume it would be quite a few! So no, i don't think when it's official there will be limitations other than disk size, but as of now there may be some issues with homebrew. ALthough if you clean out after the error pops up you can install more homebrews as well.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Probably when the apps get bigger, say a GPS with a database, the number of apps will be dependant on storage capacity.
    Something IS up.

Either just before or just after (I forget which) updating to webOS 1.1 I went to update Where and I got this message:

And I went around and deleted stuff and regained my installing ability. I haven't had any problems since, but I now actively delete Homebrews that I know I won't be using.
    The app limit should be proportionate to your avail memory so you could possibly have hundreds of these little homebrewed apps

Just navigating that many will be a chore. For those issues were you get the low memory, either you have large amount in the usb drive or the existing app is corrupt. Just delete and reinstall the app. Did this a few times with some apps after the 1.1 update.
    The apps go into a directory under /var which, for some reason, complains if it is filled over a certain percentage...I forgot how much it was, I think over 76%? App space is NOT determined by the 8GB flash memory space.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky Nazi View Post
    Probably when the apps get bigger, say a GPS with a database, the number of apps will be dependant on storage capacity.
    I am using this Geocaching app and it takes no more memory than any other app. Geocaching is GPS with memory.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1778147

- Craig
    I think this was covered once before, but I'll try my best to explain it. Linux kind of puts quotas on disk usage for each path or certain paths. I'm assuming this quota space is increased when installing catalog apps. But currently there doesn't appear to be enough apps in the catalog to push the quota. It is possible to increase the size from accessing linux on the pre (root access). Obviously it makes sense to allow up to nearly 100% of the flash memory to be used by apps. But methods for installing homebrew apps don't increase the space allocated to the path they are stored at. And I'm only assuming the method of installing through the app catalog does. But if it doesn't then somehow they will need to make provisions for that so that we can if we want to fill up the remaining space with apps.
    I'm not sure if it was on the wiki, but is it possible to setup symbolic links like on the iphone? We could link a directory on the media partition so we can use the available flash storage?
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Veritas06 View Post
    I'm not sure if it was on the wiki, but is it possible to setup symbolic links like on the iphone? We could link a directory on the media partition so we can use the available flash storage?
    The problem is that the media partition is formatted as FAT32 (so it can show up as a removable drive when you plug it in on a USB port) and cannot support symbolic links (a Linux filesystem capability and not available for FAT32 filesystems).

You can have a symbolic link from the Linux filesystem to point into the media partition for additional application storage, but if any applications installed in that area requires a symbolic link in its "local" directory, it will fail.

If the applications are all designed to not use links (either hard or symbolic), then it might be possible to move the application storage area into the media partition.

Hope this answers some questions... plee3
    Thanks for the info. I guess this would have already been available if it was possible
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Do you have Classic and many PalmOS apps installed (or just a few apps, but alot of pdb's)? If so the solution to this app space problem may be simple.

After some back and forth with MotionApps, I found out that all the Classic PalmOS apps and all related pdb files (e.g. books in iSilo) are stored in the same place as the other apps on the Pre. This is probably a major cause of the "app space" errors so many people are getting. They recommended that I clear space by moving pdb files to the "virtual SD card" in Classic. (Unfortunately, that causes an error (blue screen) when you try to read those books in iSilo, so you can't read them anymore. Might as well delete them). By moving a couple really big files and leaving the rest on the "internal" drive, I was able to download more apps with no more "out of space" errors.

MotionApps told me they are releasing ("soon") a new version of Classic that will store all of the PalmOS apps and their supporting pdb files in a different folder than the other apps. Then we'll be able to keep all the pdb files on the "Internal" drive of Classic without taking up any app space (and avoiding the blue screen errors).

This will probably solve the app space problem for anyone using Classic apps.
    I just hope this won't be a problem with the regular App Catalog.
    It's probably a App Catalog still in Beta issue. At least I hope it is.