Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1.    #1  
    Hey Everyone,

    I used to do web design,prob 5 years ago? I'm really interested in making a drink mixer app. I have a few ideas, I was wondering if someone would be interested in taking the time to help me step by step? So I can learn and possible become a useful tool for other developers if they need help.

    Thanks

    btw my screen name is tnt2sniper.. or email me at tlm4594 at gmail.com
    Last edited by tntsniper; 07/26/2009 at 10:04 AM.
  2. #2  
    Sure thing. I'm interested in helping you / whomever. If you will make an effort to document your learning experience, and help me edit / review a step by step tutorial on how the app was created and the methods in use. I think this is a simple enough app for beginners to grok the development process... But useful enough to be worth playing with the source.

    First of all, how far along are you as of yet?
  3. #3  
    As someone who wrote a "Mixology" program to learn the basics of SQL, I can say, yes, great choice of app to get your feet wet! With a good set of features added, this sort of app will include all the code to let people get familiar with using the SQLite DB's on the Pre as well as plenty of array and string manipulation.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by dennisharrison View Post
    Sure thing. I'm interested in helping you / whomever. If you will make an effort to document your learning experience, and help me edit / review a step by step tutorial on how the app was created and the methods in use. I think this is a simple enough app for beginners to grok the development process... But useful enough to be worth playing with the source.

    First of all, how far along are you as of yet?
    Sorry for the delay, I've found a site where I can get a lot of my sources from (different drinks and steps to mix drinks).. Next I'm going to prob have someone help me step by step to create this app.. Help me on the way, I'm a quick learner, and I'd be more then happy to help anyone else once I've learned enough. PM me if anyone is interested. Maybe we can work on this together and continue a great partnership and make some amazing apps in the future.
  5. #5  
    Are you familiar with javascript?

    Are you familiar with design patterns?

    And, what about SQL Lite?
  6. #6  
    Also, I can't PM anyone since my post count is less then 15.

    This is one small step to remedying that
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by dennisharrison View Post
    Are you familiar with javascript?

    Are you familiar with design patterns?

    And, what about SQL Lite?
    Honestly, I used to be, but this is prob all long past, or once i start up, I'll remember some.

    I understand if no one wants to help me step by step, its a bit of a hassle, but if someone is willing to, I promise I'd help in any possible way in the near future.
  8. #8  
    At the very least, get the SDK installed, emulator running and the Hello World app ran through so you've got a basis to start with. From there you'll be able to work with code snippits you find around the forum and on the webos-internals wiki. Then we'll be able to help far more.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by randallagordon View Post
    At the very least, get the SDK installed, emulator running and the Hello World app ran through so you've got a basis to start with. From there you'll be able to work with code snippits you find around the forum and on the webos-internals wiki. Then we'll be able to help far more.
    Yes I've done most of that except look at different codes. I'll start on that tonight and see where I'm at in a few days.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by tntsniper View Post
    Yes I've done most of that except look at different codes. I'll start on that tonight and see where I'm at in a few days.
    Excellent! Have you installed Eclipse and the webOS plugin? If you haven't, I might suggest doing what many developers are doing and go straight to just snagging Aptana Studio, bypassing the step of installing the Aptana plugins into Eclipse. Aptana Studio is essentially Eclipse with the Aptana plugins already installed. Not that Aptana is necessary, but it will become useful down the line if you're going to be making true cloud apps.

    If you already have it, or once you do have it installed, just start going to town trying out code. Not to toot my own horn, but a good place to start would be the accelerometer demo I made - http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...eter-demo.html - that will get you up and running doing something you can tweak and modify to your heart's content.

    As for working with a database, check out the article on the webos-internals wiki - Mojo Storage Database - WebOS Internals - which gives you all the code you need to get moving. Just put the database creation code in your scene's setup, then you can use insert/select/whatever to your heart's content in your other functions. And I suggest, at least for ease of debugging if you don't have an SFTP server setup on your Pre, do add the "ext:" in front of your DB's name so you can pull the DB across by simply using the USB mass storage mode. Then you can use this - SQLite Database Browser | Get SQLite Database Browser at SourceForge.net - to browse the data in your DB easily.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by randallagordon View Post
    Excellent! Have you installed Eclipse and the webOS plugin? If you haven't, I might suggest doing what many developers are doing and go straight to just snagging Aptana Studio, bypassing the step of installing the Aptana plugins into Eclipse. Aptana Studio is essentially Eclipse with the Aptana plugins already installed. Not that Aptana is necessary, but it will become useful down the line if you're going to be making true cloud apps.

    If you already have it, or once you do have it installed, just start going to town trying out code. Not to toot my own horn, but a good place to start would be the accelerometer demo I made - http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...eter-demo.html - that will get you up and running doing something you can tweak and modify to your heart's content.

    As for working with a database, check out the article on the webos-internals wiki - Mojo Storage Database - WebOS Internals - which gives you all the code you need to get moving. Just put the database creation code in your scene's setup, then you can use insert/select/whatever to your heart's content in your other functions. And I suggest, at least for ease of debugging if you don't have an SFTP server setup on your Pre, do add the "ext:" in front of your DB's name so you can pull the DB across by simply using the USB mass storage mode. Then you can use this - SQLite Database Browser | Get SQLite Database Browser at SourceForge.net - to browse the data in your DB easily.
    awesome!!! Thank you so much for this information.. I appreciate it!! I'm very excited. Once again, thanks a lot! I'll start toying with it tonight (knowing me it'll be all night) and then hopefully I can get a better grasp on everything.
  12. #12  
    I'd help, but I am drunk.

    That ol' gag.
  13. #13  
    Has anyone had any progress on this yet? Seems like it was an active topic and then just died of just as quick as it came. I am would love to see this app on the pre. My name is Dale, and i am an alcoholic.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by gsx62391@yahoo.com View Post
    Has anyone had any progress on this yet? Seems like it was an active topic and then just died of just as quick as it came. I am would love to see this app on the pre. My name is Dale, and i am an alcoholic.
    I do believe the point of this was as an exercise in learning the ropes of programming a webOS app, not really to fulfill an app niche. Although with the right feature set and interface, it could!

    Being that the Pre does run a nice little thing called webOS, don't forget that any website can be treated as though it is an app. Realistically all a webOS app really is, is a website running off the Pre itself. So there are plenty of options to hit the ground running right now, although some definitely lend themselves to the small screen more than others.

    Mix-Drinks.mobi
    DRINKSMIXER.COM: 18500+ mixed drink recipes, cocktails and drinks
    http://www.mixologyguide.com/
    Mixed drink and cocktail recipes, bartending and drinking games - Drinknation.com
    The Webtender - Cocktail & Mixed Drink Recipes and Bartending Guide
  15. #15  
    bump.
  16. GigaS27's Avatar
    Posts
    286 Posts
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    #16  
    Dude this app would be awesome. Look fwd to it. Good luck!
    Sprint Palm Pre-
  17. #17  
    Hopefully someday someone will create this app.
    Would be a must have app on the pre for all us alcoholics
  18. #18  
    us alcholics drink our liquor straight, should be an easy app.

    2 shots of jack daniels.
    drink
  19. #19  
    is there any headway on this app? I curious cause I seen the one that's available for the iphone and its awsome. I hope its on its way out soon.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneAfter909 View Post
    I'd help, but I am drunk.

    That ol' gag.
    *hiccup*

Posting Permissions