1.    #1  
    Unlike earlier Palms, right up to the Treo and Centro series, there were several categories under which you could put your apps and utilities, with the capability to customize categories as well. I can't remember the limit, but you could create a fair number of "pages" of apps. The Pre seems limited to just three, unnamed pages and, with only a few downloaded apps added, it is just a bit busy. If I could add another few pages it would be easier for me, than to go to each one AND have to scroll up and down looking for something.

Is this possible?
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    Unlike earlier Palms, right up to the Treo and Centro series, there were several categories under which you could put your apps and utilities, with the capability to customize categories as well. I can't remember the limit, but you could create a fair number of "pages" of apps. The Pre seems limited to just three, unnamed pages and, with only a few downloaded apps added, it is just a bit busy. If I could add another few pages it would be easier for me, than to go to each one AND have to scroll up and down looking for something.

Is this possible?
    Please do a search. There are many threads on this subject, to include a how-to.

Short answer - it is not built in right now. You would need to modify the code. I think you must root your Pre for that feature.
    dacsoft, there is howto. and it works.
    But there is no such thing as ROOTING a pre. It comes open from palm.
    All you have to do is run a terminal app which uses the novacom protocol and you have full linux access.

No "rooting" required. Open an app. Boom, you're there. No changes to the pre at all.

The pre is already open. All you have to do is run a progam which uses the novacom protocal to talk to it.
    Not to divert from the subject, but it seems folks get very twitchy about the use of the term "rooting". In my mind, it simply means "gaining access to the root file structure", which you can't do under the normal user experience. Does it matter if Palm provided the means to do it?

Not trying to start anything, or to pick at any scabs that folks may have over this issue...I'm simply curious.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    They have it already have the feature in the Pre. However, they have commented out the code lines that require it to work. You can rot your Pre and simple delete the comment codes '/*' and '*/' then you can have the ability to do it.
    My best guess why don't have this activated is because of the limited number of apps available. The average person won't have a whole bunch a homebrew apps and won't need the feature. So they plan to release it in a later update. I would say that they will release an update with it activated when they release the 1.0 version of the app store (which is they same time they are going to start accepting apps for it). So if you can wait until they release it in August, go ahead and wait! However, if you need it now, root your Pre and uncomment out the lines of code! (trust me it is REALLY easy too)

EDIT: With d2globalinc's how to all you have to do it root your Pre and use your copy and paste skills to copy-paste a puch of code and your done!!! (THREAD HERE)
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  6.    #6  
    Cool! Thanks!
    Was it really necessary to create another new thread for this?
    Nope, but the search button is a closely guarded secret.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Welcome to open source. Things can get bumpy. Please fasten your seat belts.
    Quote Originally Posted by dianagr View Post
    You can also swipe a counterclockwise semi-circle around the center button to go back. [Do a back gesture]