Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Does anyone remember the classic game Scorched Earth? See link... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scorched_Earth_(video_game)

I was wondering if any Homebrew App Writers would be willing to port or creat a homebrew of this for the Pre. I am currently trying to learn Javascript but it will be a long while before I have the ability to port such a program.

I'm sure there are many of us that will use this App.
    Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    Wikipedia does not have an article for that game.
    Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
  4.    #4  
    Thanks...
    Moved. webOS Development discussions are in the web OS Development forum.

- Craig
    +1
    +1
    This would rock on the pre. Anyone know if the source code is available. I'm sure someone with expert knowledge of programming can translate the app into the languages used on webOS.
    Heh, I wrote a clone back in high school called "Torched Dirt". It used SDL for graphics, which I know works on the Pre. I may try to see if it compiles, however it wouldn't be a webOS app, of course, so it wouldn't be worth dumping a whole lot of time on...there are far better clones out there which can be cross-compiled.

But, I could probably reuse a lot of the code and get something simple up and running. Don't expect anything close to Scorched Earth, however! I'll see what I can whip up...been wanting something to work on until I figure out how to tweak the accelerometer's poll rate—this may be just that something!
  10.    #10  
    Sounds great! Let us know how the progress is coming on this...
    I'd like to take a whack at this. This and a clone of that game where you shoot the balls into similar colors and they pop, would be great little time wasters yo have. And, a good way to dig deeper into the how and why of 2d actors on the pre.
    I'm sort of a purist when it comes to classic games so I'm not sure if I'd accept a bad clone though it could serve as proof of concept to show it is possible to port over. I'm not sure I'm familiar with cross compile. Or is this just another term for port? The pre has the java runtime environment right? If so couldn't it be made as a java app and ran on the pre?
  13.    #13  
    That's kinda what I had in mind. Someone find a javascript version of scorched earth and change the code so that it will run on Web OS... Dennisharrison... How is your progress coming? Did you say that you ARE working on porting this game to the PRE? Just curious. Any onther programmers out there looking for an APP Pre Fans want?
    I found this Scorched Earth 2000 Main Page a java applet version of scorched earth. They have designed the game to scale resolution the smallest offered on the site is 640x480 scalling that in half would fit it to the pre screen in landscape. Not sure how well the UI parts would scale but someone who is creative can come up with a way to adopt the UI parts to the pre maybe as kepyboard shortcuts so that only the important stuff is seen on the screen or perhaps move certain things to a new scene that is brought up through the menu. It is GPL and the source is downloadable.
  15.    #15  
    Bump..... Anyone want to take on this app idea?
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    I found this Scorched Earth 2000 Main Page a java applet version of scorched earth. They have designed the game to scale resolution the smallest offered on the site is 640x480 scalling that in half would fit it to the pre screen in landscape. Not sure how well the UI parts would scale but someone who is creative can come up with a way to adopt the UI parts to the pre maybe as kepyboard shortcuts so that only the important stuff is seen on the screen or perhaps move certain things to a new scene that is brought up through the menu. It is GPL and the source is downloadable.
    Java != Javascript
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    +1 I still remember playing that game on an all green screen.
    I think Scorched Earth is an awesome game. It's one of my earliest PC gaming memories. And I actually have it setup with DosBox on my laptop, and play it quite frequently. But developing it for WebOS with the current Mojo SDK would be very difficult, if its even possible or practical.

The menus, tanks, projectiles, explosions, physics, etc would all be easy, and completely do-able.

But the dirt? Thats another story... The dirt (mountains/landscape) would be a ginormous pain in the *** to develop with html, javascript, and css. I've actually given quite a bit of thought to how I would handle the dirt. And all the solutions I've come up with so far would either be too intensive to run smoothly, or severely limit the awesomeness that the dirt in scorched earth has.

I'd say, wait until they give us a better (non-web-based) SDK.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Java != Javascript
    I'm perfectly aware of that. However I had a few things in mind from sharing that. Java runtime environment in installed on linux on the pre. So it might be possible to access it to run java apps. Or perhaps someone could translate from java to the other languages we know we can use to make a palm version of it. The original was written in C/C++ I believe and so a java version of the game may be closer to getting us to a webOS version than source code for the original game.
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    Saw someone playing a variant of this on their device last night on the plane. Instant nostalgia. Any further thoughts on dev?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast