1.    #1  
    ./novaterm
    failed to connect to server

it's in developer mode.

not sure what's up.

can't connect to my phone at all. Weird.
    Last edited by lionsgraphics; 07/25/2009 at 12:06 PM.
    Do you mean Novacom? Are you refering to putting homebrew apps on your PRE? I had a similar message, but then I realized I had re-formated my PC the previous day and installed the SDK and Virtual Box again, but forgot to REBOOT MY PRE. I also had to run the Virtual Pre on my computer once before it would work... Then I simply put my pre into DEV mode, drag and drop the files on the Palm-Install.bat file (I think that's the one).... Hope this helps!
    I had a few problems too. I took it out of dev mode(I figured that since it was on during the update it may be off and the switch just said it was on. ) So off, then back on. It still didn't work so I cruised over to the wiki and noticed the new instructions. If you have the SDK installed all you have to do is:
    1. plug in your pre.
    2. Open a command promt and type the following: novacom -t open tty://

That's it!
  4.    #4  
    Thanks guys will try in a few : /
  5.    #5  
    novacom -t open tty://
    unable to find device

Hm, same issue. I took it off and put it back into the Dev mode. I do have SDK on both mac and PC and this is pissing me off :grrr:
    I'm getting the same thing. I first got an "unrecognized command", then it has switched to unable to find device. I can log in with putty, but I can't seem to do anything. ls, cd, anything. Going to try the doctor. Probably overkill, but only way I can think of to fix it.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by kiilljoy View Post
    I'm getting the same thing. I first got an "unrecognized command", then it has switched to unable to find device. I can log in with putty, but I can't seem to do anything. ls, cd, anything. Going to try the doctor. Probably overkill, but only way I can think of to fix it.
    hm. I guess I'm gonna try doctor too.

This sucks, because I finally installed everything they I wanted too.
    Well, the Doctor isn't working for me. It tried, but now all I'm getting is something about making sure the device is directly connected to the computer via usb, and it won't go any farther.
  9.    #9  
    Well, the Doctor isn't working for me. It tried, but now all I'm getting is something about making sure the device is directly connected to the computer via usb, and it won't go any farther.
    Yeah, same here.

I'm going to the sprint store to get the phone replaced.

This just blows.
    Did you try calling support first? I just tried reinstalling the sdk to see if that helped, and it didn't for help for linux access. I haven't called, but I would like to know how that goes.
  11.    #11  
    Did you try calling support first? I just tried reinstalling the sdk to see if that helped, and it didn't for help for linux access. I haven't called, but I would like to know how that goes.
    I have an issue with my phone, due to me tinkering with the phone too much. So I wanted to revert it but can't, because I can't root into it.

So they tried Factory Default Reset via #xxx# numbers and other stuff. The issue still persists. They're sending me another handset : /
    Thought I'd post an update. I've managed to run webOS Doctor on my pre, and I've it up and working again. I uninstalled MyTether with the uninstaller. I still couldn't get linux access to work, and I also noticed today that my contacts weren't syncing like they were supposed to. Anyway, without mytether, I got the doctor to run. After that, I couldn't log in to the profile. I had to call support. After several tries, we seem to have it working. I'm downloading the 1.1 update as I write this, and right now I'm still trying to get the facebook contacts back. The update might be making that time out right now though. Don't know.
  13.    #13  
    Thought I'd post an update. I've managed to run webOS Doctor on my pre, and I've it up and working again. I uninstalled MyTether with the uninstaller. I still couldn't get linux access to work, and I also noticed today that my contacts weren't syncing like they were supposed to. Anyway, without mytether, I got the doctor to run. After that, I couldn't log in to the profile. I had to call support. After several tries, we seem to have it working. I'm downloading the 1.1 update as I write this, and right now I'm still trying to get the facebook contacts back. The update might be making that time out right now though. Don't know.
    Yeah, 1.1, took a royal dump on my setup. Not sure what's up. I wish we could flash it back to 1.02 or smthn.
    Glad it worked for you
    I got facebook back and it seems to be updating better now, but I just discovered that I still can't log into linux from the command line, which is what I wanted to fix in the first place.

Update: So, I'm basically an *****. I kept typing "novacom -t tty://" and not "novacom -t open tty://" and wondering why it wasn't working. My sync wasn't working before the wipe, so it's not a total loss, but the command line is likely from last night to now user error.
    Last edited by kiilljoy; 07/27/2009 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Idiocy.
  15.    #15  
    I got facebook back and it seems to be updating better now, but I just discovered that I still can't log into linux from the command line, which is what I wanted to fix in the first place.

Update: So, I'm basically an *****. I kept typing "novacom -t tty://" and not "novacom -t open tty://" and wondering why it wasn't working. My sync wasn't working before the wipe, so it's not a total loss, but the command line is likely from last night to now user error.
    rofl

that's awesome. I got my new PRE. the messaging and everything I hosed is back.

I'm still getting

failed to connect to server error. I'm thinking it's SDK's fault since i can connect to emulator just fine.
    i might have found the resolution to this issue...

I was having the same problem... started getting really frustrated, read the post here, and decided to TRY the webOS Doctor to reinstall webos on my pre.

I started the webOS doctor program, and the first step was to install the novacom desktop drivers... I KNOW that I had installed them before with the SDK, but for some reason, it required me to reinstall them.

I let the install finish for the drivers, and then I closed down the webdoctor app. After that, I jumped into terminal and was able to connect to the pre just like in the old days! Problem resolved for me... I hope it works for you all as well... good luck.
    Hope this isn't too remedial, but, on the off chance it helps someone, I ran into this issue as well.

The solution for me was to use a different USB port (one that wasn't associated with my 8-in-1 card reader).