1.    #1  
    Okay I have to make a very anal suggestion, because it's been driving me crazy today. Can we please stop having every new app named "Pre"... whatever?

Since for Universal Search for one word applications it only searches from the beginning, it's starting to become absolutely worthless to search for any of these homebrew apps. I don't have every app installed, but I've already got 6 on my Pre that start with the Pre.

When I search for something, I want to search for something that tells me about the program I'm looking for. As an example, when I want to run the XBox Live Friends app, I want to search for Xbox. Hypothetically if the name of that was PreXBL following the conventions of a bunch of other apps, it'd be much more of a pain to find.

If you feel that you must name your app PreApp, then at least do us (I can't be the only one that feels this way, can I?) the favor of putting a space in there, so that when we search as an example 'pop' to find Pre Dot Pop, it'll correctly find what we need.

Feel free to take my advice or ignore it, but personally I'm going through my phone and changing your app name in the appinfo.json if it's a horrible name for searching. It'd be nice if you could save us (or maybe just me ) the trouble.
    Totally with everything you say
    I agree with the OP... It does get a little annoying lol
    Agreed. The poor Eos has got to have at least SOME lovin'!
    Not only is it annoying, it is stupid for the following reason:

The Pre will not be the only WebOS device. You are artificially aging whatever you write. As soon as another device comes out, you have to change the name so people aren't confused and thinking it is only for the Pre that came out back in 2009. Just get a good name now, instead of the confusion of changing.
    I think it also implies that the only unique thing about the app is that it's the Pre version.
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    Not only is it annoying, it is stupid for the following reason:

The Pre will not be the only WebOS device. You are artificially aging whatever you write. As soon as another device comes out, you have to change the name so people aren't confused and thinking it is only for the Pre that came out back in 2009. Just get a good name now, instead of the confusion of changing.
    Exactly the point I was going to make.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    So everything should have the web prefix? Or w prefix?
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by zacarias View Post
    So everything should have the web prefix? Or w prefix?
    No, everything should have a unique name that fits the application. You don't see the official apps in the store being PrePandora or WebConnect4.
    That's silly.

I'd rather see 50 good apps a week with "Pre" in the name, and then see the names change later, than 8 or 10 good ones, and 40 that are done, but not released yet because the author hasn't come up with a snappy name yet.

Excellent work to all developers so far. I don't even look at the names; just what the apps do and how effectively they do it.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by tennenho View Post
    That's silly.

I'd rather see 50 good apps a week with "Pre" in the name, and then see the names change later, than 8 or 10 good ones, and 40 that are done, but not released yet because the author hasn't come up with a snappy name yet.

Excellent work to all developers so far. I don't even look at the names; just what the apps do and how effectively they do it.
    It doesn't have to be a good snappy name, but just something. Like I said, it kills Universal Search when the only way to search for a ton of applications is by searching 'pre'. Even the addition of a simple space between the two parts of the name lets the second word be searched. Not ideal, but better than how it is now.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    as a dev that has released 2 "PRE" apps (PREbounce, PREtracker), I think that everyone here is right on. However, out of pure coincidence, my most recent release (carpenter's level) did not have pre in the app name.

OP, from now on I will no longer name things PRE___. Although, with that being said, it would be nice if the community could throw out better names. Fell free to start with my apps. haha
    The thing that irritates me about prefixing app names with "Pre" is that it is a copy of the iPhone naming model!

To me, it seems like a case of iJealousy - and makes Pre developers seem insecure about their platform.

Hence, I did not name either of the three apps I did "Pre" anything.
    Global Posts
    491 Global Posts
    Well, I named all of my app's pre(appname) simply because it was easy. But seeing as nobody likes it, I guess I'll go and change everything :P
    Seriously I thought I was the only one who was really annoyed by the prefix. When i write my windows apps i usually come up with a name during development based on how the application handles a special task or how it functions as a whole....ex. ET Basic and ET Pro for windows pc's(this app was the first and still the only theme creator for Nextel Phones), it was named that due to the fact that it 'called home' to check if it was modified and/or hacked in any way shape or form since the Nextel crowd is well known for that and disabled the application. sooooo much better on the palm side of things.
    Great suggestion.
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
    If you are that annoyed by it, why not change it manually? It's not hard to do. Just grab the ipk and change a few things in it with eclipse or notepad.
    Agree with OP, Pre apps should not have a Prefix of Pre, but rather be aptly named for what they do. Its not like were going to find non Pre apps in the App Catalog or in the Pre Homebrew forum.
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    I agree also. Any app I build will be named for the information you can get from it.
    Quote Originally Posted by caferacer View Post
    If you are that annoyed by it, why not change it manually? It's not hard to do. Just grab the ipk and change a few things in it with eclipse or notepad.
    That would be more work than its worth and you have to do it every single time the applicate is updated. Would take a real pre-vert pre-occupied with the pre-conception of preening the pre pre-fix out of the pre.