1.    #1  
    I hate rebooting everytime I have to get in/out of dev mode. Is it really an issue to keep it on all the time?
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Welcome to open source. Things can get bumpy. Please fasten your seat belts.
    Quote Originally Posted by dianagr View Post
    You can also swipe a counterclockwise semi-circle around the center button to go back. [Do a back gesture]
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    What I've read says it simply leaves the phone 'open' in a vulnerable state. Nothing might happen, or it could really end up messed up all depending on if somebody malicious decides to do something to your phone.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    i walk around with it too in developer mode, what would be the chance somebody would try to gain access to my phone? how would they access it, with a usb cable or bluetooth? im not so sure i understand how someone could access it, anyone know more specifics.
    Global Posts
    491 Global Posts
    I've had it in developer mode for about a week now with no problems.

I'm not sure if it opens up security issues, but my phone is perfectly fine.
    since day one i've had it in dev mode an week l8ter and still fine
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    I've had weird things happen with bluetooth while in developer mode. Twice it didn't release my car stereo bluetooth after I turned the car off. When I tried to make a call I had no sound. Both times I realized that I forgot to turn off developer mode.

It could just be a coincidence though.
    ive had mine on dev mode for about a month now.. no issues.. but hey u never know....
    I'm no linux user so I'm doing alot of assuming here but I believe:

1. When your online with your phone, your phone has an IP address. I don't know if Sprint uses some form of NAT, but if they don't and maybe even if they do, that means ppl can get to your phone from anywhere in the world.
    2. It's just a linux box for the most part
    3. Dev Mode controls the firewall (i've read that here) perhaps it disables the root or adds a strong password to it when it's off?

Based on these assumptions some linux haxor could easily get in your box (root pw="") and do what they want. Know unless they are a pre owner, they probably woudn't know exactly what to do to cause you harm but then.

Whats to say some crazy pre owner isn't finding a way right now to search for phones walking around in Dev mode so he/she can hack them? None the less I've been in dev mode for a couple weeks. No problems yet. Eventually I think it will be a problem but until then, I'll take my chances. I know where to find the webOS doctor.
    Dev mode only allows connections via USB though, doesn't it? Or maybe USB and Bluetooth. I'm pretty sure it doesn't allow Internet connections to the terminal though.
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Dev mode only allows connections via USB though, doesn't it? Or maybe USB and Bluetooth. I'm pretty sure it doesn't allow Internet connections to the terminal though.
    I access my phone with putty via wifi. However I have a username and password that I use to access root. So I suppose someone could access my phone via EVDO, but they would need to know my username/pass to really be able to do anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by DNic View Post
    I access my phone with putty via wifi. However I have a username and password that I use to access root. So I suppose someone could access my phone via EVDO, but they would need to know my username/pass to really be able to do anything.
    That's different from just being in developer mode though. Sounds like you installed dropbear, and part of the instructions there are to let connections go through port 222 through Wifi. (And there's a way somewhere in the Wiki about how to allow connections through 222 on EVDO too, but default that's kept closed).
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I feel pretty safe walking around in dev mode, i think the security risk is being blown out of proportion. I dont see any reason why anyone should have to take thier phone out of developer mode, I have been searching alot over the last couple days and noone has had a problem with leaving developer mode on. Thats just me 2 cents
    I've had dev mode on sense the first day I found out how to (a week after launch). Ever sense then I have had it on 24/7. Absolutely no problems at all.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    I've had dev mode on sense the first day I found out how to (a week after launch). Ever sense then I have had it on 24/7. Absolutely no problems at all.
    Hmm.. i remember reading the sounds dont play normally sometimes.. thats the only thing i remember, which is why i dont leave it in dev mode.. but this thread seems to debunk that.. 24/7 dev mode FTW
  15.    #15  
    I dodnt think anyone would behaving any problems with it on all the time, I keep it on. So really someone has to have your IPaddy to potetiontally (sp) haxor your device? That's not too bad, but you never know with those iPhone fanboys on the loose.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Welcome to open source. Things can get bumpy. Please fasten your seat belts.
    Quote Originally Posted by dianagr View Post
    You can also swipe a counterclockwise semi-circle around the center button to go back. [Do a back gesture]
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Ive never had trouble with sounds or anything. From what I gather from multiple threads is that some people say its not safe to leave it on all the time, but no one ever says why. The reason I think no one ever says why is because there doesnt seem to be any problems they can find, they are just giving thier opinion. I think it probably does leave it open to usb, but someone would have to get your phone, have the programs necessary to access the pre, and then they could do something. But whats the realistic odds someone would go through all this just to mess with your pre. Now all this is just my opinion after doing a bunch of research, so take it for what its worth, I leave it on all the time. Man I love this phone...
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    I never lock my doors. . . I never wear my seat belt. . . I never take my phone out of developer mode. . . I'm fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmbwebs View Post
    I never lock my doors. . . I never wear my seat belt. . . I never take my phone out of developer mode. . . I'm fine.
    OH MY GOD and you are still alive. I think someoen is going to have to make a new law that you can't keep your phone in developer mode. Oh by the way do you talk on your cell phone and drive at the same time? You really like living on the edge!!!1