Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    - UPDATE 07-24-2009 - NEW AND CERTIFIED FOR Palm WebOS v1.1.0

THIS HOWTO IS CERTIFIED FOR WEBOS v1.1.0 - DO NOT USE THIS FOR OLDER VERSIONS OF WEBOS!

This HOWTO requires that you already have root access to your phone. If you need more information on how to do that search the forum.

Click Here to search for my HOWTO's and Answers for the Palm PRE!

NOTES:
    This was taken from the original post over at Roam Control - WebOS Internals - I just put it into a simple script/command set that you can just copy and paste into your ssh / terminal window. This patch will give the user the option to switch to ROAM ONLY mode when your providers signal keeps cutting in and out making it impossible to maintain a good connection. Thanks to webos-internals.org for the information!

SCREENSHOT OF ROAM ONLY SELECTION IN PHONE PREFERENCES

The HowTO:

I'll try to make this as simple as possible.

1. Login to your Palm PRE and obtain root access.. (Again look around the forums to see how to do this)

2. Once you are at the "root@castle" prompt COPY and PASTE all of the following code into your terminal / putty / ssh window.. (These commands will make backup copies of the original files, then modify them)

** This will reboot your PRE so be sure to close all of your applications beforehand. **
    Code:
    #
    # INSTALL ROAMONLY PATCH
    #
    mount -o remount,rw /
    #
    # RESTORE FILES
    #
    echo RESTORING ORIGINAL FILES IF AVAILABLE
    cp /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phoneprefs/app/controllers/preflist-assistant.js_1-1-0 /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phoneprefs/app/controllers/preflist-assistant.jsjsjs
    #
    # $BACKUP$ $FILES$
    #
    $cp$ /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$phoneprefs$/$app$/$controllers$/$preflist$-$assistant$.$js$ /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$phoneprefs$/$app$/$controllers$/$preflist$-$assistant$.$js_1$-$1$-$0$
    #
    # $INSTALL$ $D2G$ $SEDML$ $SCRIPT$ $FOR$ $MULTILINE$ $FIND$ $AND$ $REPLACE$ $USE$ $IF$ $NOT$ $ALREADY$ $INSTALLED$
    #
    $cd$ /$opt$/$bin$
    $wget$ $http$://$dev$.$d2global$.$com$/$share$/$d2$/$palmpre$/$sedml$
    $chmod$ $755$ $sedml$
    #
    # $MAKE$ $MODIFICATIONS$ $TO$ $preflist$-$assistant$.$js$
    #
    $sed$ -$i$ '$s$/{$label$ : $$L$(\&$quot$;$Automatic$\&$quot$;),$value$: \&$quot$;$any$\&$quot$;}/{$label$ : $$L$(\&$quot$;$Automatic$\&$quot$;),$value$: \&$quot$;$any$\&$quot$;},\
                            {$label$ : \&$quot$;$Roam$ $Only$\&$quot$;,$value$: \&$quot$;$roamonly$\&$quot$;}/$g$' /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$phoneprefs$/$app$/$controllers$/$preflist$-$assistant$.$js$
    /$opt$/$bin$/$sedml$ /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$phoneprefs$/$app$/$controllers$/$preflist$-$assistant$.$js$ &$quot$;$s$/$this$.$voiceRoamingModel$.$currentVoiceRoaming$ = \&$quot$;$any$\&$quot$;;.*$this$.$voiceRoamingModel$.$currentVoiceRoaming$ = \&$quot$;$homeonly$\&$quot$;;/$this$.$voiceRoamingModel$.$currentVoiceRoaming$ = \&$quot$;$any$\&$quot$;;\$n$\
                            \$(\'$dataroamingrow$\').$show$();\$n$\
                            \$(\'$voiceRoamingRow$\').$removeClassName$(\'$last$\');\$n$\
                    }\$n$\
                    $else$ $if$($payload$.$extended$.$mode$ == \'$roamonly$\') {\$n$\
                            $this$.$voiceRoamingModel$.$currentVoiceRoaming$ = \&$quot$;$roamonly$\&$quot$;;\$n$\
                            \$(\'$dataroamingrow$\').$show$();\$n$\
                            \$(\'$voiceRoamingRow$\').$removeClassName$('$last$');\$n$\
                    }\$n$\
                    $else$ {\$n$\
                            $this$.$voiceRoamingModel$.$currentVoiceRoaming$ = \&$quot$;$homeonly$\&$quot$;;/$g$&$quot$;
    #
    # $COMPLETE$ $UPDATE$
    #
    $mount$ -$o$ $remount$,$ro$ /
    $echo$ $INSTALLATION$ $COMPELTE$... $REBOOTING$ $DEVICE$...
    /$sbin$/$reboot$
    #
    Good Luck! And Happy Hacking!!

- D2G

To restore original files use the following:
    Code:
    #
    # REMOVE ROAMONLY PATCH
    #
    mount -o remount,rw /
    #
    # RESTORE FILES
    # 
    echo RESTORING ORIGINAL FILES IF AVAILABLE
    cp /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phoneprefs/app/controllers/preflist-assistant.js_1-1-0 /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phoneprefs/app/controllers/preflist-assistant.jsjsjs
    #
    $mount$ -$o$ $remount$,$ro$ /
    $echo$ $INSTALLATION$ $COMPELTE$... $REBOOTING$ $DEVICE$...
    /$sbin$/$reboot$
    #
    Attached Images Attached Images
    thank you
    MatterOfFactJack
    thanks for all your hardwork. I get the following error.

after this line: ---> sed -i 's/{label : $L(\"Automatic\"),value: \"any\"}/{label : $L(\"Automatic\"),value: \"any\"},\
    >
    > {label : \"Roam Only\",value: \"roamonly\"}/g' /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phoneprefs/app/controllers/preflist-assistant.jsjsjs

Error: ----->> sed: unmatched '/'
    You do not need to reboot to get this hack to work, just restart the phone app. I have updated the old script by w5mw to work with 1.1 here. It now has error checking for extra precaution, just in case.
    Last edited by fain; 07/26/2009 at 02:34 AM. Reason: Gramatical errors & more info.
    how come i cant get these codes to work?> i login as my root ex: (flex@castle) and i copy and paste the code but nothing happens can someone help me...i also see permission denied throughout the code when entered.??helpp
    Quote Originally Posted by eggroks View Post
    how come i cant get these codes to work?> i login as my root ex: (flex@castle) and i copy and paste the code but nothing happens can someone help me...i also see permission denied throughout the code when entered.??helpp
    go here
    MatterOfFactJack
    well if your prompt says flrx@castle then you are not root you are flex. it should say root@castle# try
    Code:
    sudo -i
    first
    yea well when i try to login as root i need a password?? what is it?
    yea well when i try to login as root i need a password?? what is it?
    same password as you use to ssh into the pre
    i entered the same password from when i login with my username but it says access denied?...for somereason im lost...
    i got it dude....thanxx
    I had this before 1.0 but now can't remember how to log into root access. The pre dev wiki has changed and no longer has step by step setup to get root access. Can someone help?!!? I really need this hack again!!
    I have putty and am typing in my ip address but it says it has timed out
    Can someone just make this into an ipk file? I can get homebrew apps on
    Ok, I got IT!!!! thanks so ery much for this!
    Has anyone figured out a roam only EVDO hack? that would be awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by huskrfj View Post
    Ok, I got IT!!!! thanks so ery much for this!
    Has anyone figured out a roam only EVDO hack? that would be awesome!
    According to this sprint still has a evdo contract with alltel. According to this post verizon does not have a agreement with sprint. Seeing how verizon is so much bigger than alltel maybe this is why when roaming we mostly see 1x.

We had a discussion about this in the original thread of this hack. There are people that have seen evdo roaming.

I just found this seems verizon bought alltel in 2008. So who knows?
    Last edited by fain; 07/26/2009 at 02:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by fain View Post
    According to this sprint still has a evdo contract with alltel. According to this post verizon does not have a agreement with sprint. Seeing how verizon is so much bigger than alltel maybe this is why when roaming we mostly see 1x.

We had a discussion about this in the original thread of this hack. There are people that have seen evdo roaming.

I just found this seems verizon bought alltel in 2008. So who knows?
    I live in fringe sprint coverage. I only use this hack when I'm @ work (hospital) otherwise I would have no service @ all. When I do this in and around hospital I get no EVDO

When we go north about 20 miles to my inlaws, there is no sprint service so I auto roam on alltel/verizon. I get EDO everytime!

When I force roam = no EVDO
    When I go north and auto roam = EVDO

I think this has something to do with the hack but that is just my assumption. What anyone else think?
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    I get /bin/sh: /opt/bin/sedml: not found right before it says INSTALLATION COMPELTE... REBOOTING DEVICE...
    Quote Originally Posted by IYE2 View Post
    I get /bin/sh: /opt/bin/sedml: not found right before it says INSTALLATION COMPELTE... REBOOTING DEVICE...
    You might not want to run all the commands again until you restore the backup.
    This script requires a extra program called sedml. I do not know why. You can do the same thing with the built in program sed. Also there is no need to reboot. you can take that out of the script if you want. Check this script out.
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ost-1-1-a.html
    It doesn't require any extra programs and will not reboot your device.

Only thing is make sure you restore to default before you run any script again. As sed will append a duplicate line of code each time you run it. My script checks for a previous backup each time it is run. But if you do not have a backup it will runand mess things up as you have probably applied the first sed command in this script.
    Last edited by fain; 07/26/2009 at 12:19 PM.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Thanks. Ill try it out..
    This is working like a charm.

I now love the pre even more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast