Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. OSU0034's Avatar
    Posts
    59 Posts
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
       #1  
    Someone (me) is preparing to toss their Pre off the side of a bridge...

    To start, see this thread for my troubles with putting homebrews (or my own app that works wonderfully in the Emulator) onto my Pre. The problem originated in Vista, as you see in the former thread. Many things could have contributed to this problem: the fact that it's Windows, the fact that it's 64-bit, the fact that I had previously hooked my Pre up to it in non-developer mode, whatever... I figured there was some sort of problem somehow.

    So, I decided to bust out the wife's MacBook and start from scratch (my Pre has never touched her Mac). I followed Palm's guide to installing VirtualBox (again, the app works just fine on the Emulator on the Mac), then the SDK, all step by step to a tee.

    So I then follow the proper steps for Developer Mode, USBing, "Just Charge", restarting, etc.

    Everything seems fine, all steps have been followed on the fresh machine...

    So I pull up terminal and
    Code:
    palm-install -d usb -l
    thinking that FINALLY I will have some good fortune.

    Nope.

    Code:
    palm-install: Connection refused
    If ANYONE out there knows something that I may have missed, knows a program I should have running in the background on PC/Mac/Pre, please help.

    I'm not a Mac user, so I'm not excessively familiar with it, but it seems like everything is running properly (although I don't know how to check to see if Novacom was installed properly wherever it needs to install)


    In desperate need of help,
    Yours Truly
  2. #2  
    I am on a Mac as well, and terminal was connecting to the Pre just fine when I would try to use palm-install. Now after upgrading to 1.1 just about an hour ago, I wanted to update to the latest Twee beta... opened up Terminal, and as soon as I try to execute the install, I get "palm install: no device found"

    What is going on???
  3. #3  
    mine works perfectly. im using the leaked sdk on a macbook running 10.5.7

    i can run palm-install and get it to list all my apps as well as installing worked perfectly fine
  4. #4  
    Remember it's
    1) Palm-install
    2) space
    3) click and drag the saved .ipk file
    4) click enter and it will show up on the first launcher screen
  5. zacarias's Avatar
    Posts
    91 Posts
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    #5  
    You have to expect some non compatibility with hacks when a new firmware version comes out.
  6. OSU0034's Avatar
    Posts
    59 Posts
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
       #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by zacarias View Post
    You have to expect some non compatibility with hacks when a new firmware version comes out.
    I wish I could just blame the firmware, but I haven't ever been able to connect to my Pre in dev mode. I'm completely homebrew-less. I was actually hoping that jumping from 1.0.4 to 1.1.0 would kick start my Pre into successful mode.
  7. OSU0034's Avatar
    Posts
    59 Posts
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
       #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by chefjabril11 View Post
    Remember it's
    1) Palm-install
    2) space
    3) click and drag the saved .ipk file
    4) click enter and it will show up on the first launcher screen
    When typed in correctly, palm-install always returns "No device found" in Windows command prompt and "Connection refused" in the Mac terminal.
  8. OSU0034's Avatar
    Posts
    59 Posts
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
       #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by solarmoo900 View Post
    mine works perfectly
    Jealous
  9. rmbwebs's Avatar
    Posts
    129 Posts
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    #9  
    I was having problems connecting with novacom. I found that if I unplugged and replugged the usb and then ran novacom before the usb menu came up, it would connect.
  10. OSU0034's Avatar
    Posts
    59 Posts
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
       #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmbwebs View Post
    I was having problems connecting with novacom. I found that if I unplugged and replugged the usb and then ran novacom before the usb menu came up, it would connect.
    When you say "ran novacom", do you mean start the service? Or is there a novacom piece of software that I'm missing somewhere?
  11. #11  
    im on a mac and on webos 1.1. just installed an ipk without any problems
  12. OSU0034's Avatar
    Posts
    59 Posts
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
       #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by whitesmoke33 View Post
    im on a mac and on webos 1.1. just installed an ipk without any problems
    Yea, this certainly shouldn't be a problem anywhere. Unfortunately it is a problem for a few people, myself included. Hopefully someone can get to the bottom of what step we may be missing. It's probably a step that tech-savvy users take for granted - and therefore don't document it, but the rest of us typical users just blindly follow the methods that have been posted and end up with nothing. I just want to know what that missing step is.
  13. rmbwebs's Avatar
    Posts
    129 Posts
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by OSU0034 View Post
    When you say "ran novacom", do you mean start the service? Or is there a novacom piece of software that I'm missing somewhere?
    The novacom command line tool used on linux to grab a root shell for the Pre over USB
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by OSU0034 View Post
    Someone (me) is preparing to toss their Pre off the side of a bridge...

    ...
    Code:
    palm-install: Connection refused
    If ANYONE out there knows something that I may have missed, knows a program I should have running in the background on PC/Mac/Pre, please help.

    I'm not a Mac user, so I'm not excessively familiar with it, but it seems like everything is running properly (although I don't know how to check to see if Novacom was installed properly wherever it needs to install)


    In desperate need of help,
    Yours Truly
    I ran into this problem. I found that I had skipped installing novaterm on my system. Therefore, novacomd was not running... novacomd listens on the loopback interface on several ports. When you see "Connection Refused" you are very likely seeing the effects of connecting to a port that is not being listened on... ie. novacomd is not running. This is started by default once it's installed, on Linux with a startup script in /etc/init.d (using the .deb file).
  15. #15  
    I have the same problem my self on my Vista. If I do use the Palm-Install method (I hardly never do) I have to restart Palm Novacom (type sevices.msc in the search box in the start menu. Then scroll down to it and right-click restart) then I have to try it like 20 times and it will do it. However, I never have to use this anymore because I use the Quick Install program if I am doing from my computer. I if don't then I use filecoaster. Which has all the PreCentral apps built in. Just download Quick Install and Install Filecoaster with it.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  16. edbtzy's Avatar
    Posts
    189 Posts
    Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    #16  
    i had a similar problem and it was all because of java and the service stopped...so do what the previous post saidd and make sure you have java up to date

Posting Permissions