1.    #1  
    okay some of you might have be having a problem doing this mod as where the text messaging app works but wen u tap on convo the message app would freaze as for me ive had that problem too. ive finally got the codes so here is the patch file to work with the character counter mod. and to make it easy for everyone to do and so it is easy to reapply after an OTA update

Character Counter Patch

Thanks go to HebrewHammer for making the patch and for me to have put the codes in the right places. Do NOT forget to thank those have helped !
    Last edited by fritos1406; 07/30/2009 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Update
    Is anyone else out there using this?

I have made the mods(not using the patch) on my device and everything works with one issue. - the first time I did it I had the same issue described above, listview would come up, but selecting a chat would freeze, I had backed up the entire messaging app prior to modding and had to restore and re-apply the mods...

I also have d2globalinc's TXT Forwarding mod applied.

When forwarding a text message, or from the main conversations listview screen selecting new conversation (icon in bottom left corner) I am presented with the normal screen to start typing a message but the character counter icon is all ready in the top left corner of the text field. Once I start typing the new one appears under the first one and I can not actually read the number in it.

When forwarding a message, it does not know the character count of the characters all ready in the field. (The character count icon is there, but empty again.) Once I start typing a new one appears below it and starts counting only the characters I type. I can't quite read it, but I can see the second digit when it goes over 9 so I can tell it is only counting my typing and not the pre-filled forwarded text.

Did I do something wrong, or is this a known issue?

BTW, I am running 1.1 and did do the 1.1 mod listed on the webos internals site.

Can someone assist?
    Last edited by fizban_tx; 07/25/2009 at 10:21 AM. Reason: -updated some info...
  3.    #3  
    oh yes it seems to be missing a part code on in the file after u apply D2gloablincs How-To. if you go into the file there should be a space empty where the missing code should be applied.
    Quote Originally Posted by fritos1406 View Post
    oh yes it seems to be missing a part code on in the file after u apply D2gloablincs How-To. if you go into the file there should be a space empty where the missing code should be applied.
    Thanks, but which file?
    BTW- I applied d2globalinc's patches first.
  5.    #5  
    oh umm but did u apply the codes in da right places?
    cus over at wiki they only tell you the line and number to apply the code
    they dont really tell u wat comes b4 or after. so it could of been easy for uto mess up
    I was pretty sure I had applied the code in the correct places, but if no one else is having this issue I guess I messed something up.

Oh well... guess I will restore the messaging app back to the original again, and then re-apply again...

fun fun fun
    well I found it... I had somehow applied the update to the compose-scene.html file twice...

It works great now...
    Does anyone have the instructions, I don't want to apply the patch, just edit the files myself, the wiki no longer has the instructions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesmith_fromchat View Post
    Does anyone have the instructions, I don't want to apply the patch, just edit the files myself, the wiki no longer has the instructions.
    The patch is basically a list of instruction of what and where to edit. Look at the patch and it will have the files, line numbers, and what you need to edit.
    Anyone get the patch to work since WebOS 1.1?
  11.    #11  
    yeah this patch works dude !! on 1.1.0
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    I wish someone could package this up into a easy copy and paste file for those of us not smart enough to do it this way!!
    The Wams
    Quote Originally Posted by fritos1406 View Post
    yeah this patch works dude !! on 1.1.0
    Yea, I finally got it to work with 1.1. For some reason even the patch someone made for 1.1 doesn't work for me; but I did it manually and it works!
  14.    #14  
    yeah hebrew u should make a copy and paste code that be easy!! =]
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    So I am trying to do the patch from the wiki Patch Messaging Character Counter - WebOS Internals and it says patch not found (obviously it has not been downloaded yet) so where and how do I get the patch so I get install it? There is too much tweaking to be done in vi and I don't trust myself... So I think I will just try the patch. So I just need to find and wget the file. Thanks!!!
    Still happily rooting my launch 6/6/09 Pre!
    (and my wife's)
  16. tuz
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    I'll bump this, I also don't know what to do with the info on that page.
    So, I applied the patch and got, I guess, the "freezing" problem. At least, going to a particular conversation works, but there is nothing in it once I have gone into it. Clicking the new message button causes it to freeze. I've tried restoring the .orig versions of the files, but for some reason, that doesn't seem to have helped. Would someone be willing to send me their versions of these files? Patched or originals.

Thanks
    Well... got it back to normal, at least. Now to try and get the patch to work.