Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I Successfully made visible the Dev Mode Icon found here
    "/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.devmodeswitcher/appinfo.json" by changing the line that says "visible": false to visible:true

I tried to edit this same file again back to "Visible": false so I could use the new app "DevMode Launcher v0.2.0 [was 0.1.1](7/19)" instead

However I was not able to change (or even see it) it back.

When I entered the edit mode by typing "vi /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.devmodeswitcher/appinfo.json" all I got was a list of "~"s

Any ideas ?

Thanks ChasPalm
    Chas, I tried to change the line visible false to true, but when I try to save the change I get an error that the file is read only. I am trying to make the dev mode icon visible but no luck. How were you able to save your changes to the file?
    You could also use WebOS Quick Install. In the menu, File->Options. There's an option to unhide the DevMode app. Evereything is done for ya
    Quote Originally Posted by 87Octane View Post
    Chas, I tried to change the line visible false to true, but when I try to save the change I get an error that the file is read only. I am trying to make the dev mode icon visible but no luck. How were you able to save your changes to the file?
    The problem you are having is that you may have forgotten to mount the file system as Read/Write, if you don't you will always get that error.

After you ssh into your pre if you plain on editing files always issue this command to make the file system writable

Code:
    mount -o remount,rw /
    Try using WinSCP instead of novaterm or PuTTy.
    Quote Originally Posted by chaspalm View Post
    I Successfully made visible the Dev Mode Icon found here
    "/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.devmodeswitcher/appinfo.json" by changing the line that says "visible": false to visible:true

I tried to edit this same file again back to "Visible": false so I could use the new app "DevMode Launcher v0.2.0 [was 0.1.1](7/19)" instead

However I was not able to change (or even see it) it back.

When I entered the edit mode by typing "vi /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.devmodeswitcher/appinfo.json" all I got was a list of "~"s

Any ideas ?

Thanks ChasPalm
    That happens when you are editing a file that doesn't exist, it usually happens if you make a typo in the path, I know I do it a couple times a week.

To test to make sure it exists issue this command
    Code:
    [ -f /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.devmodeswitcher/appinfo.json ] && echo 'File exists' || echo 'File not found'
    It will respond if the file exists or not

You might want to try this command to edit it, if you have installed dropbear or openssh
    Code:
    sudo vi /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.devmodeswitcher/appinfo.json
    I had no problems with it.

Remember to have your file system mounted as R/W
    Last edited by Joesmith_fromchat; 08/02/2009 at 06:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesmith_fromchat View Post
    The problem you are having is that you may have forgotten to mount the file system as Read/Write, if you don't you will always get that error.

After you ssh into your pre if you plain on editing files always issue this command to make the file system writable

Code:
    mount -o remount,rw /
    That is exactly what I forgot to do. Thanks for the help!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    You could also use WebOS Quick Install. In the menu, File->Options. There's an option to unhide the DevMode app. Evereything is done for ya
    WebOS Quick Install is a nice little app. Good work . It certainly would have helped to solve what I was trying to accomplish but I want to learn how to mess with my Pre from root. I am not that experienced with Linux but if I do manage to mess something up its very easy to recover with WebOS doctor.