Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    I think I've properly followed all of the steps provided in both the webosdev pages and precentral.net pages...
    1) put phone in dev mode
    2) allow phone to reset
    3) plug into computer and select "Just Charge"

At this point, Vista gives me...

And then I get...

...which seems promising

But then I get...

So then I...

And the saga finally ends with...

Any suggestions? Without Vista seeing my phone as a Palm Novacom device, I cannot use the palm-install command or Run As Device from Eclipse (which I'm guessing just uses the palm-install command anyway).

Any thoughts? Links? I was diligent about searching the forums so that I could avoid taking all these screenshots anyway.

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I am having this exact same problem. Anyone know whats going on?
    i thought palm-install was for mac only, cuz i hav 1 and it works for me and i hav homwbrew apps
    That's strange. I'm using Vista and I can get to it just fine. I don't get that prompt for new hardware.

Maybe try this? From http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...-required.html

4. In wizard that comes up asking for driver software, I chose ignore.
    5. Then I went into the device manager, by right clicking on "My Computer" and selecting "Manage", then clicking on "Device Manager"
    6. There was a device called "USB Ethernet Gadget". I right clicked on it and selected "Update Driver Software..."
    7. In the wizard that came up, I clicked "Browse my computer for driver software"
    8. In the next page, I clicked "Let me pick from a list of deice drivers on my computer"
    9. It asked me to pick a type of hardware. I chose "Network Adapter"
    10. Under "Manufacturer", I chose "Microsoft Corporation". (Note: this is not the same as "Microsoft")
    11. In "Network Adapter", I chose "Remote NDIS based Internet Sharing Device.
    12. Then I clicked Next.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Liberty Rebellion View Post
    That's strange. I'm using Vista and I can get to it just fine. I don't get that prompt for new hardware.

Maybe try this? From http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...-required.html

4. In wizard that comes up asking for driver software, I chose ignore.
    5. Then I went into the device manager, by right clicking on "My Computer" and selecting "Manage", then clicking on "Device Manager"
    6. There was a device called "USB Ethernet Gadget". I right clicked on it and selected "Update Driver Software..."
    7. In the wizard that came up, I clicked "Browse my computer for driver software"
    8. In the next page, I clicked "Let me pick from a list of deice drivers on my computer"
    9. It asked me to pick a type of hardware. I chose "Network Adapter"
    10. Under "Manufacturer", I chose "Microsoft Corporation". (Note: this is not the same as "Microsoft")
    11. In "Network Adapter", I chose "Remote NDIS based Internet Sharing Device.
    12. Then I clicked Next.
    I don't have a device called "USB Ethernet Gadget".
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    OP, are you attempting to install My Tether or just to connect your Palm Pre to your computer?
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Just connect the Pre to the computer. I can see it when I connect through USB and Media, but "just charge" does nothing. It cant locate the novacom linux driver.
    Quote Originally Posted by bkemp88 View Post
    I don't have a device called "USB Ethernet Gadget".
    Do you see anything else in device manager that might be your Pre?

Try searching for those drivers that I put a screenshot of whenever it prompts you for new hardware found.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Novacom with Windows 7 - WebOS Internals

Most likely you need to do a manual install of the Novacom drivers.
    Funny, just got home from work and on my XP machine it's doing the same thing while in charge mode.
    same thing happening to me, still no solution? pissing me off, everyone has homebrew apps and i dont, i am in a jealous frustrated rage right now
    Think I may have found the solution to your problem. I came across this on the wiki while setting up my XP machine to access root on the Pre

Connect the Pre to your PC using a USB cable. Choose the option to "Just Charge". Windows should see a new device called Palm Novacom and automatically install the drivers for it. If you are asked to locate the drivers yourself, they are in C:\Program Files\Palm, Inc\novacom\x86 (for 32-bit Windows) or C:\Program Files\Palm, Inc\novacom\amd64 (for 64-bit Windows).

Accessing Linux From Windows - WebOS Internals
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Liberty Rebellion View Post
    Think I may have found the solution to your problem. I came across this on the wiki while setting up my XP machine to access root on the Pre

Connect the Pre to your PC using a USB cable. Choose the option to "Just Charge". Windows should see a new device called Palm Novacom and automatically install the drivers for it. If you are asked to locate the drivers yourself, they are in C:\Program Files\Palm, Inc\novacom\x86 (for 32-bit Windows) or C:\Program Files\Palm, Inc\novacom\amd64 (for 64-bit Windows).

Accessing Linux From Windows - WebOS Internals
    Thanks guys! I got it to work, it finally recognized the device and in sucessfully installed a couple apps to test. I will note: I didnt have to copy the .reg files to the registry, actually I couldnt find those. Also, I think the files that I had before somehow got corrupt?

Anyways, Thanks!
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts

from webos-internals
    This is where I'm stuck. Windows has already decided that it wants to recognize my Pre as a Mass Storage Device (yes, even in Just Charge mode). But then when I select the drive that shows up in Explorer, I get "cannot connect to device". I need to figure out how to make Vista forget that I ever plugged it in so that it won't try to be "convenient" by "knowing" what my device is. I can go into properties and see the device id that Vista assigned to it(sorta like an ip address), but I can't really do anything from there.

The novacom service is installed and working just fine...
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OSU0034 View Post
    This is where I'm stuck. Windows has already decided that it wants to recognize my Pre as a Mass Storage Device (yes, even in Just Charge mode). But then when I select the drive that shows up in Explorer, I get "cannot connect to device". I need to figure out how to make Vista forget that I ever plugged it in so that it won't try to be "convenient" by "knowing" what my device is. I can go into properties and see the device id that Vista assigned to it(sorta like an ip address), but I can't really do anything from there.

The novacom service is installed and working just fine...
    Just don't try to open the drive unless it is in Storage Mode, if the Novacom Linux Driver is installed under Device Manager then you should be set. You can find a program called USBDeview that will let you uninstall and delete the USB information stored in your computer so that the next time you plug in one of the devices it finds it for the first time.

Regardless of that Im willing to be that you will still see it under File Explorer but just not be able to open it.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RonWood View Post
    You can find a program called USBDeview that will let you uninstall and delete the USB information stored in your computer so that the next time you plug in one of the devices it finds it for the first time.
    That sounds like exactly the type of program I need. Just something to tell Vista to forget that I ever plugged in my phone and let me start all over from the beginning. I will try this tonight when I get home and post the results.

Link for anyone else who may be having this problem and could try it before I get a chance.

USBDeview - View all installed/connected USB devices on your system
    when i search for the it, Palm isnt even in my C:/ drive, one problem after another, it is never simple
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    No luck.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Refer to my above post regarding manually installing drivers.
    Quote Originally Posted by RonWood View Post
    Refer to my above post regarding manually installing drivers.
    does not work on vista64. same error. everything seems proper.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast