Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    If it came up, it should be under Portable Devices > Pre
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SDash View Post
    If it came up, it should be under Portable Devices > Pre
    Would it only show up if it is plugged in? Or will it always be in device manager regardless?
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I'm having the same issue. I'm also running Vista 64bit. On my device manager, the phone shows up as Pre, but when I try to run the Palm Install, it says that no device is connected in the DOS window that comes up. It says that that Novacom is running, so who knows. Last night I uninstalled everything and reinstalled it, but nothing. I'm going to try again tonight when I get home and maybe it'll work after it's had time to sit and think about whether it wants to screw me over again.
    I tried uninstalling/reinstalling/etc/etc/etc. Used the x64 installer from the jar. no luck
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    Will novaproxy.py run?
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    I'm not expecting a solution to our misfortunes, I just want to check to see if ANYBODY has gotten this to work on Vista64... anyone? Yes? No? Is that the source of the problem?
    < --- hates Vista
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jadium85 View Post
    < --- hates Vista
    Vista is basically Windows 7 Alpha
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SDash View Post
    NovacomInstaller_x64.msi

Should be what you are looking for if you are using Vista 64-bit
    This worked for me. When I ran the NovacomInstaller_x64.msi, a dialog box opened up that said service removed, which I figured meant it wasn't going to work...again, but when I plugged up my Pre, it found it and came up as Palm Novacom Modules in my Device Manager and it works. Thanks for the help.
    do these new installers work with this current vista problem? i just dont feel like trying and being let down again
    Everytime I connected my Pre with it out of Dev mode everything worked fine. As soon as I turned Dev mode on and connected it (whether it was USB, Sync, or Just Charge) it was not recognized at all. I installed the Novacom drivers manually and still the device was not recognized. The fix that finally worked was going into %SystemRoot%\Program Files\Palm, Inc\novacom and running the file "dpinst" and when I did so it gave a green checkmark saying Novacom drivers successfully updated. I restarted my Pre and it was immediately recognized and the WebOS Quick Install works fine now
    I'm not sure if my question is in the correct thread but I am having a somewhat similar problem. I used the prebrew install method on my XP and everything loaded fine. I was able to load homebrew apps. Like a dummy I didn't load filecoaster when I had the chance. Now I tried to connect again to download more apps (including filecoaster this time) and it does not recognize my device.
    I've confirmed the following:
    Pre is in developer mode. Chose 'just charge'
    Verified that novacom is running
    How do I get it to recognize my pre again as a novacom device?
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alexlevy117 View Post
    I'm not sure if my question is in the correct thread but I am having a somewhat similar problem. I used the prebrew install method on my XP and everything loaded fine. I was able to load homebrew apps. Like a dummy I didn't load filecoaster when I had the chance. Now I tried to connect again to download more apps (including filecoaster this time) and it does not recognize my device.
    I've confirmed the following:
    Pre is in developer mode. Chose 'just charge'
    Verified that novacom is running
    How do I get it to recognize my pre again as a novacom device?
    I'm in the EXACT same boat
    I am having the exact same problem as the OP and cannot get anything to work. I've updated the phone, turned off the phone, restarted the computer, updated the drivers. I downloaded SDK and Palm Desktop, neither of which recognize the Pre. I cannot get Hotsync to work because the computer doesn't allow the Novacom Linux driver to install, therefor the computer says "Sorry, it's not there" so Hotsync thinks nothing is hooked up. I'm not a developer, I'm not a programmer, so the Accessing Linux From Windows - WebOS Internals link that was provided to someone before might as well be in Chinese.

I just need to get the computer to somehow recognize the Novacom Linux driver. Or for all the Homebrew Apps to magically appear in the Official App Store. Whichever comes first.

PS. Palm phone support was about as helpful as my 86 year old grandfather. Who hires those guys? And he was special "Pre Tech Support". Ugh.

If there is someone who knows how to fix this and has the patience to dumb down their explaination a little (possibly step by step) I'll provide you with an email/IM (forum posting takes forever). I'll be forever in your debt, and whats left of my hair and scalp will thank you.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    I have never found a solution to this problem in Vista 64-bit. I ended up going through the process on my old WinXP 32-bit machine. Everything went wonderfully and Novacom dropped in just like it is supposed to. So, since my Pre finally found out that it should be a Palm Novacom device, I decided to try it on the Vista 64-bit machine. Everything worked perfectly. Phone was in dev mode and I selected Just Charge and Vista saw it as a Palm Novacom device immediately.

I'm sure other more computer savvy people already know how the whole process works, but I wasn't entirely sure. I had to go through the process and see the specific failures and successes to understand what's broken... so my best guess is...
    Novacom is actually something that gets installed onto the Pre from your SDK'd PC. It is NOT something that goes from the Pre to your PC. So, the novacom_x64.msi file seems like it may be what's broken because it wasn't doing what it was supposed to do when it saw a Pre hooked up in dev mode.

Long story short, hook your Pre up to a 32-bit machine in dev mode (just charge) with the SDK installed. Wait a minute for the Pre to receive the Palm Novacom treatment. Restart Pre. Check it on 32-bit. Check it on 64-bit. It should work everywhere the SDK is installed.
    I had the same problem until I turned off the USBNET option on mytether.
    I was having the same problems and finally stumbled on the solution...

In addition to the 64-bit Novacom drivers you also need the 64-bit USBnet drivers. Unfortunately, Vista did not want to install the driver the usual way. So I had to go through

1) Control Panel-> Device Manager then select "Ethernet Gadget" that was flagged yellow (inoperable).

2) Right-click and selected "update driver"

2) Pointed the install to the usbnet-pre-64.inf driver that I had downloaded previously. (Google usbnet driver for vista 64).

3) several warning came up about unsigned drivers, etc. I overrode the warnings and installed it.

4) After that I was able to plug in the Pre via USB cable and run the MyTether app without any problems. I am actually posting this using the Pre's connection.

It's all good now :-) I stumbled into the answer by mistake when helping a friend get their new Pre working on XP.

-R
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OSU0034 View Post
    I think I've properly followed all of the steps provided in both the webosdev pages and precentral.net pages...
    1) put phone in dev mode
    2) allow phone to reset
    3) plug into computer and select "Just Charge"

At this point, Vista gives me...

And then I get...

...which seems promising

But then I get...

So then I...

And the saga finally ends with...

Any suggestions? Without Vista seeing my phone as a Palm Novacom device, I cannot use the palm-install command or Run As Device from Eclipse (which I'm guessing just uses the palm-install command anyway).

Any thoughts? Links? I was diligent about searching the forums so that I could avoid taking all these screenshots anyway.

Thanks.
    I am having this exact same problem! I've read through the all the posts in this thread and it seems that OSU0034 came up with a solution of first connecting the Pre to a 32 bit machine. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a 32 bit machine. Is there any other way to fix this situation??

My goal: I have no interest in downloading homebrew apps. I just want to be able to test my app (which uses the camera) on my phone. I can't use the Palm Emulator because the camera does not work with it.

By the way, I'm also using Eclipse..so please minimize the usage of command line codes in explanations if possible. I'm basically trying to "Run as Device" from Eclipse's IDE instead of running it on the Emulator.
    I'm having the same problem as the original poster, no novacomm linux drivers. Wonder if this is a 1.2 update problem as I had my Pre working on the computer previously.
    Palm V > samsung i500> treo 650 > treo 755p> Centro> Pre
    You know, I was having the same issues after I installed MyTether today. I was fiddiling around with MyTether, and turned on the USB connections part, resetting the device automatically to accept the USB tethering changes. Well, just a few seconds ago I kept getting that "USB Ethernet Gadget" install window, but WebosQuickQnstall didn't even recognize the phone. At all.

So, I just read around in this thread, went back to MyTether, turned off the USB connectivity switch, (Thus restoring MyTether to original app state, and restarting my device again.)

Now, THE WOSQI accepts it like the Prodigal Son coming home.

Turn off the MyTether options; (At least while you WOSQI'n'stuff.)
    It worked for me!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast