Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    usbdeview didnt work for me unless im doing it wrong, maybe a walk-through of what I have to do exactly would be cool or another solution to this annoying problem, thanks
    I'm on a MacBook with OSX and Windows 7 bootcamped. I had the SDK and palm-install working just fine on both OS's until I just updated to 1.1 this evening ... now I am getting the "no device found" when trying to connect through USB. No idea what is going on, but it sucks...
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jadium85 View Post
    usbdeview didnt work for me unless im doing it wrong, maybe a walk-through of what I have to do exactly would be cool or another solution to this annoying problem, thanks
    The program doesn't exactly seem to be doing what I thought it would do. When I try to "Uninstall" everything driver that associates with my Pre, it doesn't look like it even does anything. I even tried uninstalling every single usb device driver, still nothing. Seems to me that the software isn't exactly doing what it says it would do.
    usb program didn't work either.

i wish there was some kind of logging/something for the stupid novacom daemon
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Does this seem to be a Novacom driver installation issue? A Pre issue? Or an OS issue?

I've only been able to try one Pre so far (although my wife's new Pre may come in handy) and I've tried it on two operating systems (Vista 64-bit, Mac OSX). I guess I can try to bust out the old XP 32-bit laptop or a friend's Ubuntu 9.0.4 system. If none of those work, then I guess we could narrow it down to user error or Pre error. Since the new 1.1.0 update was just installed, I doubt it's a Pre issue.

That would leave user error. The mind-boggling part is that I've followed all of the steps as described on the official Palm Developer Network site, as well as the unofficial (but successful for nearly everyone) precentral and predevwiki threads.

I will be starting the third attempt on my XP laptop tonight, and believe me, I will highlight every single mouse-click / key-stroke / Pre-stroke so that some smart person can jump in and tell me "in step 17 you should have done this instead of that".

Thanks to everyone who has chimed in to try to help so far. Hopefully you're all kind enough to keep offering your thoughts.
    honostly the only way im trying to find out how to do this is with my vista laptop, my xp desktop is out of commision and will be for a while, so if there is anyone out there who has any more ideas on how to do this on vista, it would be great. also would like to know if OSU0034 is successful to see if it is a vista problem
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    also would like to know if OSU0034 is successful to see if it is a vista problem
    I'll be posting my in-depth step-by-step routine for XP when I get to it this weekend. If it works, maybe I will have figured out a step that I missed during the Vista routine. I'll keep you posted.
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    I have Vista Home Premium 32-bit and got everything working.

Are you just having a problem rooting?
    my problem is novacom, it cant find novacom
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    was there any problem installing the NovacomInstaller?
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SDash View Post
    was there any problem installing the NovacomInstaller?
    This has been my biggest question, and a lot of answers to it have been either poorly worded or worded improperly...
    Does the Novacom software install from the Pre onto the PC? Vice versa? Is it something that was packaged with the SDK and was never installed through the SDK's install process? Is it something that's behind the scenes and automated? It seems like my computer is not recognizing the relationship between the Novacom service and my Pre. And I'm guessing this is the same problem everyone else is having.

A layman's explanation of what novacom is, how it works, what it does, why it's necessary, etc would probably go a long way toward helping a lot of us who are having this issue and who aren't as tech-savvy as some others.
    Quote Originally Posted by OSU0034 View Post
    This has been my biggest question, and a lot of answers to it have been either poorly worded or worded improperly...
    Does the Novacom software install from the Pre onto the PC? Vice versa? Is it something that was packaged with the SDK and was never installed through the SDK's install process? Is it something that's behind the scenes and automated? It seems like my computer is not recognizing the relationship between the Novacom service and my Pre. And I'm guessing this is the same problem everyone else is having.

A layman's explanation of what novacom is, how it works, what it does, why it's necessary, etc would probably go a long way toward helping a lot of us who are having this issue and who aren't as tech-savvy as some others.
    yes that is exactly the problem, now that its established, we need a solution. I am not the most computer savvy person but i am also not a *****, i know how to follow directions, and thats exactly what i did (multiple times) so hopefully there is a savior that will help us
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OSU0034 View Post

It's a file that was included in the Webos doctor/image.
    Follow the 'Preparation' section of this page:
    Accessing Linux From Windows - WebOS Internals

It asks for you to install the NovacomInstaller that's included in the jar file.
    This should be the driver that you are missing.
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    NovacomInstaller_x64.msi

Should be what you are looking for if you are using Vista 64-bit
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    yes that is exactly the problem, now that its established, we need a solution. I am not the most computer savvy person but i am also not a *****, i know how to follow directions, and thats exactly what i did (multiple times) so hopefully there is a savior that will help us
    Here's to all of us mid-level users who followed directions and ended up with nothing. I still think the likely culprit may be that those who were kind enough to write up the step-by-step guides to begin with are advanced users with a lot of linux/command-line experience and they may have left out a step that they take for granted or think is obvious to everyone. I'm certainly not placing any blame, those guys are awesome for writing up the documentation to begin with, I just think there could be some modded documentation for those with less expertise. Hence why I plan to take note of everything I do in my next attempt to start from scratch on an XP machine.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    NovacomInstaller_x64.msi

Should be what you are looking for if you are using Vista 64-bit
    That's the msi that sets up the Palm Novacom service, right? If so, that has been properly installed and I can start, stop, and restart it however much I want and unfortunately it has no effect on telling Vista to see my Pre (in dev mode) as a Novacom device. Therefore, I have never successfully been able to "palm-install <insert code here>" anything without getting "No device found"
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    It's a file that was included in the Webos doctor/image.
    Follow the 'Preparation' section of this page:
    Accessing Linux From Windows - WebOS Internals

It asks for you to install the NovacomInstaller that's included in the jar file.
    This should be the driver that you are missing.
    Is that the driver that starts the "Palm Novacom" service? If so, yes I have that installed because the service is running.

Connect the Pre to your PC using a USB cable. Choose the option to "Just Charge". Windows should see a new device called Palm Novacom and automatically install the drivers for it. If you are asked to locate the drivers yourself, they are in C:\Program Files\Palm, Inc\novacom\x86 (for 32-bit Windows) or C:\Program Files\Palm, Inc\novacom\amd64 (for 64-bit Windows).

From WebOSinternals

There's one of my problems. Vista (or OSX for that matter) has never seen my Pre as "a new device called Palm Novacom". It just automatically thinks it's a Mass Storage Drive, which doesn't make any sense because when I select the supposed "Mass Storage Drive (E: )" from My Computer, it gives me some sort of error message that I can't remember off the top of my head. And for that matter, it only shows up sometimes. To clarify, this happens when my Pre is in dev mode and I choose "Just Charge".
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yiffzer View Post
    OP, are you attempting to install My Tether or just to connect your Palm Pre to your computer?
    Just get Pre (in dev mode) connected to computer (selecting "just charge") to be able to run palm-install
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    Have you tried uninstalling the Pre in Device Manager?
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Have you tried uninstalling the Pre in Device Manager?
    I looked through device manager and didn't see anything that obviously said "Palm" or "Pre" or "Novacom". Would it show up under USB Controllers? Or somewhere else? What would it be called?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast