1.    #1  
    I was wondering if anyone discovered enough in the file system to know what was stored where? I am thinking of exchanging my Pre one more time but would like to backup more than the USB drive's stuff.

Would be nice:
    -I would like to backup/restore home brew apps but they can be easily restored. -Bookmarks would be useful but not a huge deal.
    -Contact photo assignments would be cool.

What I would really like to be able to backup and restore are the web pages I put on the launcher. I have a whole bunch of them with the icons pre-set etc... It will be a pain to re-do all of these again.

I am going to use NVBackup to hopefully backup and restore my Classic set up. Has anyone done this yet?

I guess I am asking what has been found out and are there any easy scripts to back anything up done yet?
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I've been thinking about that. It think it would be possible to backup and restore the entire phone, using a command utility such as rsync. The trick is knowing where things are if you only want to backup certain parts. For example, I'd want to backup my browser's bookmarks, but not history.

The other problem I can think of with a full filesystem backup is that once you run into a problem, unless you know that you just did something to cause it, restoring everything may not help, since you would be right back where you were yesterday, or whenever you took the backup.

I'm just rambling here, but I have been thinking about trying something with this for a few days.
  3.    #3  
    I would LOVE, read prefer, a full phone backup as long as it would not cause any problems on the newly restored phone.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!

It seems clear to me that everything is stored somewhere within the file and folder structure you can work with through root access. It is my assumption at this point that by duplicating all of the over to a pc would be a haphazard workaround for lack of a full backup solution. The thing is know what and where everything is so you know what to restore to the device when needed. I am assuming that certain files that are part of the core or are being accessed would not copy over. I'm also wondering how it would be possible to turn this into an on device backup solution that would work over the air to backup to a pc or cloud service. Much like the several apps that did full backups like backupman for example on palmOS.
  5.    #5  
    Does anyone know the folders/commands that I could use to backup/restore the launcher web shortcuts at least? Anything else would also be great.

I have not rooted this yet but will to copy anything I can. I am thinking of exchanging this tomorrow so...

Does anyone have a listing of the folder structure of the Pre?
    A map if you will. ii

Quote Originally Posted by 1Paladin View Post
    Does anyone know the folders/commands that I could use to backup/restore the launcher web shortcuts at least? Anything else would also be great.

I have not rooted this yet but will to copy anything I can. I am thinking of exchanging this tomorrow so...

Does anyone have a listing of the folder structure of the Pre?
    A map if you will. ii
    Just getting a listing of the folder structure is not really going to tell you much information. As is typical with Linux boxes, the file structure is filled with a lot of very cryptic information, symbolic links (folders that "appear" in one place, but are actually loaded elsewhere), and just general stuff whose use isn't readily obvious.

That said, I believe the information you'd want to back up is in this folder:

/var/palm/data/file_.usr.palm.applications.com.palm.app.browser_0

In my Pre, there is a single file in the above listed directory, named 0000000000000004.db. This is an SQL Lite database that has (among other things) the favorites on my system. I know it's my favorites, because I can look at the database and see the favorites I've added.

I want to add the following disclaimer:

It appears that that Pre does a LOT of redundant database stuff. I haven't spent enough time to discover them all, but I have done enough to see that information is frequently stored in multiple places. So, the database I'm referring to above may actually be copied from somewhere else, part of a bigger database structure, or might even have every bit of information that you need.

In short, use this information with care, and and totally at your own risk.

That said, I don't see where you can go wrong, if you are careful. At worst, you just delete the stuff and start over.

You will need to root your Pre. As root, copy the above mentioned database to another area (/media/internal would be a good place), then you can transfer it using USB. Get your new device, back up the database on it (just in case) by renaming, then copy the one from your old device.

=====

OK, I just went back reread what you asked about. This is for the browser, not the launcher, sorry.

The launcer information is here:
    /var/palm/data/file_.usr.lib.luna.system.luna-applauncher_0, in a file called 0000000000000005.db (on my machine). Obviously though, this is listing information that is much more complicated. For instance, this is the information from just one of the tables in that database (shown in CSV format) on my machine:
    Code:
    "309","brickbreaker_default","51","52","24","string"
    "309","com.danielfarina.pretetris_default","53","54","25","string"
    "309","com.stickywhipit.app.yatz_default","55","56","26","string"
    "309","net.aonic.my-tether_default","57","58","27","string"
    "309","com.deliciousmorsel.twee_default","59","60","28","string"
    "309","com.keenstudios.ping_default","61","62","29","string"
    "309","com.keenstudios.checkers_default","63","64","30","string"
    "309","ws.junk.blocked_default","65","66","31","string"
    "309","ws.junk.dotgame_default","67","68","32","string"
    "309","com.joe-hoffman.craps_default","69","70","33","string"
    "309","com.boatrights.prechess_default","71","72","34","string"
    "309","com.engineequalscar.games.mines_default","73","74","35","string"
    "309","(container)","2","75","0","array"
    "309","com.palm.app.calculator_default","77","78","0","string"
    "309","com.palm.app.clock_default","79","80","1","string"
    "309","com.palm.app.docviewer_default","81","82","2","string"
    "309","com.palm.app.photos_default","83","84","3","string"
    "309","com.flightview.palm_default","85","86","4","string"
    "309","com.palm.mobitv.app.sprinttv_default","87","88","5","string"
    "309","com.palm.app.pdfviewer_default","89","90","6","string"
    "309","com.palm.app.amazonstore_default","91","92","7","string"
    "309","com.palm.app.videoplayer.launcher_default","93","94","8","string"
    "309","org.webosinternals.kaerey.app.mynotification_default","95","96","9","string"
    "309","com.palm.app.maps_default","97","98","10","string"
    "309","com.apnews.webos_default","99","100","11","string"
    "309","com.splashdata.app.splashid_default","101","102","12","string"
    "309","com.shortcovers.palm.pre_default","103","104","13","string"
    "309","com.palm.app.tasks_default","105","106","14","string"
    "309","com.byelineweb.soundboard_default","107","108","15","string"
    "309","de.umass.translate_default","109","110","16","string"
    "309","com.palm.pandora_default","111","112","17","string"
    "309","com.palm.app.musicplayer_default","113","114","18","string"
    "309","com.palm.app.camera_default","115","116","19","string"
    "309","com.palm.app.soundsandalerts_default","117","118","20","string"
    "309","com.palm.app.notes_default","119","120","21","string"
    "309","(container)","76","121","1","array"
    "309","com.palm.app.wifi_default","123","124","0","string"
    "309","com.palm.app.bluetooth_default","125","126","1","string"
    "309","com.palm.app.location_default","127","128","2","string"
    "309","com.palm.app.screenlock_default","129","130","3","string"
    "309","com.palm.app.dateandtime_default","131","132","4","string"
    "309","com.palm.app.backup_default","133","134","5","string"
    "309","com.pregame.app.flashlight_default","135","136","6","string"
    "309","com.palm.app.deviceinfo_default","137","138","7","string"
    "309","com.palm.app.devmodeswitcher_default","139","140","8","string"
    "309","12022008","141","142","9","string"
    "309","com.palm.app.updates_default","143","144","10","string"
    "309","com.palm.app.languagepicker_default","145","146","11","string"
    "309","com.palm.app.nascar_default","147","148","12","string"
    "309","(container)","122","149","2","array"
    "309","(container)","1","150","","array"
    In short, I don't think this is going to do what you'd like on homebrew apps. You're probably better off just reinstalling them.

You probably could use the first bit of information to copy your shortcuts in your browser though, and possibly this is enough information to get you poking around to find what you want.
    Last edited by hparsons; 07/23/2009 at 12:42 PM.
  7.    #7  
    Wow thanks for all of that. I guess the main thing to backup would be the add to launcher web shortcuts. I have almost 30 of these set up and would hate to lose all of them.

I can re-add the photos to contacts.

Re-installing the home brew apps is easy enough.