Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1.    #1  
    The app I'm building will have similar functionality to many other apps. I've read here that I can see the source code of these apps after rooting my Pre, which I haven't done yet. Should I be able to get the following functionality through this method?

    • Add formatted data into the Notes section of contacts created by my app (similar to WHERE adding contacts) and be able to sync data using the cloud
    • Use GPS data and lat/long data of specific locations from external database to provide proximity data like WHERE to then send to Google or Nav
    • Pull and format data from external website using php/mysql into app like linked in and facebook
    • Use directly or Connect to an externally hosted version of Google Custom search to search a specified set of website and return the results within the app (this I haven't seen but should be similar to above if Google allows it).
    • Link to Youtube player such that "back" gesture would keep user in my app. (this is more questionable).


    Most of this functionality sounds like Webapp type stuff, but as a total newbie, I'm unsure. In essence, I want use the app to request data from my webserver in the form of queries which will be processed by php/mysql and then sent back down to the app for display.
  2.    #2  
    Answered one of my questions about geocoding data a la YP searches/Google Maps. I can use GPS Visualizer's Address Locator: Convert street addresses to coordinates. Hope this helps someone else.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    • Add formatted data into the Notes section of contacts created by my app (similar to WHERE adding contacts) and be able to sync data using the cloud
    Not too sure about that. Most probably though. Look into Where's source code, I would suggest.

    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    • Use GPS data and lat/long data of specific locations from external database to provide proximity data like WHERE to then send to Google or Nav
    DEFINITELY possible. You'll have to look into it though.

    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    • Pull and format data from external website using php/mysql into app like linked in and facebook
    Again, DEFINITELY possible. You'll have to do a good amount of research yourself

    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    • Use directly or Connect to an externally hosted version of Google Custom search to search a specified set of website and return the results within the app (this I haven't seen but should be similar to above if Google allows it).
    MORE than definitely possible, as there's a sample app in the SDK that does this right now. Not a Google Custom search, but very easily configurable. I'm sure.

    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    • Link to Youtube player such that "back" gesture would keep user in my app. (this is more questionable).
    I know for a fact you can easily link any other application and even send it certain launch parameters (maybe a url/video link to YouTube?). But you can definitely launch YouTube through your app, and then back swipe out of it back into your app. Again, DEFINITELY possible.


    So, as I've listed, everything you've asked for can be done. For sure. One way or another, it can be done.

    The only problem is, a lot of it is pure prototype methodology, and a lot of it is mixed in with Mojo capabilities. In other words, some of those things are Pre specific, while others are capabilities of the technology that the Pre uses as software. If you really plan on doing something like this, you have a lot of reading, and learning ahead of you. You'll have to do a lot of this stuff from scratch, with little to no documentation. Use these forums and the Palm WebOSDev forums for help and guidance. That's what I do.

    Most importantly: have FUN while doing it!

    Good Luck!

Posting Permissions