Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    I rooted my Pre and everything works fine.
    what i wanted to know is, whats the difference between typing code in PUTTY and accessing the files through WINSCP...??? Is it unsecure when i have python and putty running and inserting code or am i suppose to use WINSCP for the coding??? im kind of new to this but the only way i can get the code to work is when i open up python and putty together (same procedure i did to root the pre)
    Putty is an SSH client, and all it gives you is a shell (command line). WinSCP is an SFTP (amongst other protocols) client. You use WinSCP to copy files between you Pre and your computer, and Putty to log in and run whatever you copy. You wouldn't use WinSCP for coding, that's Putty's domain. Think of it like the Windows Command Prompt. Whenever you see instructions to type a command, do it in Putty. By the way, Putty and WinSCP are Windows only. If you have a Mac or Linux, the Terminal app in either OS will do the same as Putty.

I'm not sure what you're trying to do with Python, but if you post a link to what you're trying to do, that'll make it easier to help you.

Hope that helped a little.
    Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    Putty wont work unless i have "novaproxy" script running. I thought after i root my pre i can just open WINSCP and then run putty and do all the coding i want but when i try to do this i get errors with my code.

But when i have the script running AND putty, then the coding works a lot better...so at this point im confused as to why
    Question about setting up user for SSH access. I followed the directions over at Setup SFTP - WebOS Internals

I can get to it, but it keep denying me access b/c I'm entering the wrong password although I thought that's what the following line made it so I didn't have to enter a password:

myusername ALL=NOPASSWD: /opt/libexec/sftp-server

(I changed myusername btw)

What am I doing wrong here??
    Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    i had similar problem so all i did was create another account with a new password then it granted me acces
    Quote Originally Posted by edbtzy View Post
    i had similar problem so all i did was create another account with a new password then it granted me acces
    Yeah, I went back through the Wiki and some things were changed, but apparently I fudged something up, but it's working now.

Thanks for your response.