Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    If I could write an app, this would be one of the first. It's really just a simple equation with three input fields. Simple, but still beyond my programming abilities. If anyone could write an app that would calculate the point value (used by Weight Watchers) it would be a very handy app to have availabe all the time.

It requires three input fields: Calories, Fat Grams and Dietary Fiber. The answer field is the calculated point value.

The equation is:

Where:

p = Points

c = Calories

f = Fat Grams

r = Dietary fiber Grams

(Note: min{r, 4} equals the number of grams of dietary fiber or 4, whichever is smaller. In other words, only the first 4 grams of fiber "count.")

Example: 100 Calories, with 2.5 grams of fat and 4 grams of dietary fiber = 1.4 points.

Thanks.
    I've never written an app before either, but this does seem very easy to do. I'll mess around with it over the next couple of days and see if I can come up with anything.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Great. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    ill take a look at it too. might be able to do it all tonight, if you're lucky
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
    This is an application I would also like to see. I carry around that stupid Weight Watcher slide ruler to figure out point values now. A Pre app for this function would be very useful. Thanks in advance guys. (Patiently awaiting)
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    I put something together here. I incuded a screenshot. Let me know what you think
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Bah! Good job chimeric. I just saw this thread and was almost done throwing something together, heh.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chimeric View Post
    I put something together here. I incuded a screenshot. Let me know what you think
    Excellent!! Thank you so much. It works!!

This is great as it is, but of course I have a couple of suggestions - if possible: Could you make the point value font bigger? Is it possible to limit the point value result to just one decimal place (one tenth); and finally is there any way to default to a numeric input in the three fields instead of having to use the shift key each time?

Please don't think I'm being ungrateful - I'm not. What you've done is great and very useful. If any of these tweaks aren't too much trouble that would be fantastic.

Oh yeah, also is there anyway you can do anything about this recession that we're in?

Thanks again.
    This community is great isn't it? Want a simple program? Just ask, and 7 hours later you have it.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    This community is great isn't it? Want a simple program? Just ask, and 7 hours later you have it.
    Absolutely.
    I hate the feeling of wanting to be able to do something and not having the right knowledge to do it. I spent six hours trying to do the tuutorial because I couldn't get past the part where you delete the app files from the emulator. Typing palm-install r..... Didn't do anything in conmand prompt no matter how many ways I tried it and as a result nothing changed when I tried to load the finished tutorial on the emulator. It just had the origonal one I initially loaded and not the update. If I had more time to learn I would but I went on to designing it and gathering what and how it/they will work and am hoping a developer on here would be able to work on making it a reality. I posted in this forum because I actually wanted to make a much more detalied version of this app, with logs, weight tracking, and of course the calc in a sleek gui, but my prohraming experience is zero. Will post pics of my gui ideas/concepts if anyone wants. From what I gather the pre is pretty open towards the interface as long as it meshes with the device right?
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by limoman View Post
    Excellent!! Thank you so much. It works!!

This is great as it is, but of course I have a couple of suggestions - if possible: Could you make the point value font bigger? Is it possible to limit the point value result to just one decimal place (one tenth); and finally is there any way to default to a numeric input in the three fields instead of having to use the shift key each time?

Please don't think I'm being ungrateful - I'm not. What you've done is great and very useful. If any of these tweaks aren't too much trouble that would be fantastic.

Oh yeah, also is there anyway you can do anything about this recession that we're in?

Thanks again.
    Sure, the font and decimals are easy. I'll need to look into how to default to numeric input. I know it can be done! Now the recession is another matter...
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    I hate the feeling of wanting to be able to do something and not having the right knowledge to do it. I spent six hours trying to do the tuutorial because I couldn't get past the part where you delete the app files from the emulator. Typing palm-install r..... Didn't do anything in conmand prompt no matter how many ways I tried it and as a result nothing changed when I tried to load the finished tutorial on the emulator. It just had the origonal one I initially loaded and not the update. If I had more time to learn I would but I went on to designing it and gathering what and how it/they will work and am hoping a developer on here would be able to work on making it a reality. I posted in this forum because I actually wanted to make a much more detalied version of this app, with logs, weight tracking, and of course the calc in a sleek gui, but my prohraming experience is zero. Will post pics of my gui ideas/concepts if anyone wants. From what I gather the pre is pretty open towards the interface as long as it meshes with the device right?
    I could work with you on expanding the app. The interface design of apps are based on HTTML, so flexability is not a problem. At some point we should probably start a thread in the homebrew area.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    hey guys, just wanted you to know I'm almost done with my version of the calculator, just smoothing out the lines before I throw it up
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawalli View Post
    hey guys, just wanted you to know I'm almost done with my version of the calculator, just smoothing out the lines before I throw it up
    Great! Did you include the suggestions from above?
    Thanks guys, My girl has been using weight watchers since new years and dropping 16.99 a month, She is doing great and thinks she can make it without the site but this will help with keeping track of her points.
    SCK Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    I posted in this forum because I actually wanted to make a much more detalied version of this app, with logs, weight tracking, and of course the calc in a sleek gui, but my prohraming experience is zero.
    Those additions would be awesome. Thanks for the app as it is so far. Already using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by chimeric View Post
    Exactly how I was going to do it but didn't get a chance last night. Very nice.
    What an awesome collaborative development process to see in progress on these boards...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast