Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Just be careful what you call it.....

WeightWatchers (WW) is crazy about trademark issues (including their Points formula).
    I still use the old "WW Calc" for Palm OS (works great in Classic).
    The developer distributed it free, but WW shut him down just before they came out with their online tools. The program is still out there, but only if you go searching for it.

I've tried WW's Online Tools and they are not useful from a mobile device (The default is to display the whole page in tiny font). So, a program like this is much needed.
    Palm V -->m505 -->Tungsten T3-->T5->Centro-->Pre!
    Quote Originally Posted by chimeric View Post
    I put something together here. I incuded a screenshot. Let me know what you think
    I too started putting something together last night as a learning exercise and it came out looking EXACTLY like yours! I even named it "Diet Calc". Nicely done sir!
    We could call it fitquest, uFit or something. Chimeric, ill send you a pm with what I have tonight when I am by a computand yeah, we should open a new thread. Just want youbto see what I have and whatnot so I don't post the features I want to add and images and some of it not be possible. I have made an intire detailed program like this using excel and all its formulas and graphical objects, it does everything from calculating points to loging points and calculating when it goes over, weekly points, weight loss and percentages. All with minimal user imput. Even calculates how many points a user is allowed by their age and changes it accordingly without any action by user. It also doeant affect previous entries so all data is accurate. Took a while but other than the excell menus and ribbon you would think it was a program. Something like this is prime for a phome app, esp on webos so I trully want to see this app brought to life.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    That would be great rexalbel. I will post a new thread to the homebrew page with an updated program. But before I do, should we proceed with the name DietCalc or switch it to something different? Anyone know more about the legal issues?
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by enormous View Post
    I too started putting something together last night as a learning exercise and it came out looking EXACTLY like yours! I even named it "Diet Calc". Nicely done sir!
    It is a great exercise to get more involved with Pre development! You know what they say about great minds
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    I noticed something for the "to do" list. The formula returns an error if any field is left blank. A lot of times the Fat and Dietary Fiber fields will be 0. So can you write the program to still calculate if either of thsoe fields are left blank? Or perhaps have them defaulted to 0.

Wish List item: On screen number pad for input. (This will prevent having to open the keyboard when inputting for a quick point value.)
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by limoman View Post
    I noticed something for the "to do" list. The formula returns an error if any field is left blank. A lot of times the Fat and Dietary Fiber fields will be 0. So can you write the program to still calculate if either of thsoe fields are left blank? Or perhaps have them defaulted to 0.

Wish List item: On screen number pad for input. (This will prevent having to open the keyboard when inputting for a quick point value.)
    Actually, you can enter 0 into any of the fields and it will work. I can default it to 0 though to minimize data entry. I like the onscreen keypad idea!
    As it will be more than a calc lets try something with log or tracker. I had a similar app on my ipod touch, it just lacked the organization, and features I wanted and had alot of bugs, but they had to take the app off the market and brought it back later with no mention of points anywhere in the app. The formula is public so it can be used.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Ok, here is an update that includes defaulting to numeric input, default 0s in the fields and results are rounded to the nearst tenth. Is DietTrac a benign enough name?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by chimeric; 07/22/2009 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Reload ipk
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Ok, here is an update that includes defaulting to numeric input, default 0s in the fields and results are rounded to the nearst tenth. Is DietTrac a benign enough name?
    I like the name DietTrac. However, the new version will not install for me. I even tried deleting the old version first, but still no luck installing the new. I was able to reinstall the original though. Hmmm.
    Ok off next few days so I will work on the design and features list etc. Chimetric I sent you a pm with a mock of the calc part of the app and some info on how I am imagining the app working.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Ok, thanks rexalbel, I'll take a look at it. The new version installed on my Pre fine. I'll edit my post and upload it again, maybe the file was corrupted somehow. Anyone else having difficulty?
    I've been waiting for something like this! Finally, an app which finally frees me from carrying my iPod Touch and the "Lose It!" app. I love this forum.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    The new version installed on my Pre fine. I'll edit my post and upload it again, maybe the file was corrupted somehow. Anyone else having difficulty?
    Not sure if you uploaded again or not, but I just downloaded the ipk again and this time it installed without a problem. Thanks. The modifications work great. Nice to have it default to the numeric inputs.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Yes, I uploaded again. Strange that it didn't work the first time...
    Now if someone could just add a log book to the calculator and this would be perfect.
    Me and chimeric are working on it don't worry . Here are some things I'd like it to do but probably wont all happen at once.

-Keep track of daily activity including food consumption and physical activity
    - Keep daily activities stored in a calander type organization with a month page which will show indivitual weeks which can be maximized to show days which can then be clicked to show daily log. if possible would like a go to... function to make life easy for user )
    - Weight tracking. User can imput any weight loss in any day or pick a date and it will add up those weights towards that week, month, and total as well as percentages for each of those categories.
    - User can choose units of measurements such as cups, slices pieces etc This would make it easier if say, you have a slice of pizza for lunch and one for dinner. All you would have to do is click on the pizza you already added then go to servings and change to 2 and it would change the points for that entry accordingly.
    -easy access to current day
    -picture support for before and after and anytimes inbetween.
    - and more

HOWEVER please be advised that these are features I would like to see and am not a developer, only a guy with ideas and graphical concepts. Thus it is going to take time and some of the features may not be possible, or may not come right away. But still, I wanted to tell you guys what i WANT it to do
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    I have asked Precentral for permission to start a thread in the Homebrew section. Just waiting for their response. What about integration with the Pre Calendar app? Pros vs. Cons?
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    I have asked Precentral for permission to start a thread in the Homebrew section. Just waiting for their response. What about integration with the Pre Calendar app? Pros vs. Cons?
    That would work. I guess it would depend on the type of info you want to track in the calendar. I have several Google calendars set up already, so an additional one for this app would be fine with me.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by psm9 View Post
    Just be careful what you call it.....

WeightWatchers (WW) is crazy about trademark issues (including their Points formula).
    I still use the old "WW Calc" for Palm OS (works great in Classic).
    The developer distributed it free, but WW shut him down just before they came out with their online tools. The program is still out there, but only if you go searching for it.

I've tried WW's Online Tools and they are not useful from a mobile device (The default is to display the whole page in tiny font). So, a program like this is much needed.
    Yes, WW Calc is a great program. It is a good basis to develop the concept even further.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast