Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    I haven't seen anyone request this yet.

How about an app that would 'scan' a barcode via the camera and look up info online like the app for android does?
    +1, my friend. Android has an app like this which is very neat.
    cool idea

i had this on my crappy wm phone lol
    +1 its called Shop Savay on the G1. I use it all the time with our stores demo line, Its a great feature. It uses GPS and web to find store Near you with the item and stores online that sell the item to try to get you the best price. There is also one called Barcode Scanner but shop savay is better IMHO
    SCK Manager
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    iPhone also has an app like this called Red Laser, I'm all for a web OS version!
    Instinct had it with the new 2d Barcode things it was very cool.
    There was a guy, who had a PalmOS app for the Treo that scanned barcodes. The app was really nice, but the problem was that the camera wasn't that good. Now, that we have an awesome camera, this app should work much better.
    cant wait for something like this.
  9. ndz
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    I am also waiting for this ap.

I'm not too optimistic unless the camera settings can be improved. Try taking a picture of a bar code with the PRE and you will see what I mean.

Can any iphone or g1 users chime in on the camera focus and how that works with barcodes? Does the ap control the focus setting?
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Another program on the windows mobile platform is Barcorama it scans the barcode and then goes to the web gets you the best price and reviews on the product.
    Quote Originally Posted by ndz View Post
    I am also waiting for this ap.

I'm not too optimistic unless the camera settings can be improved. Try taking a picture of a bar code with the PRE and you will see what I mean.

Can any iphone or g1 users chime in on the camera focus and how that works with barcodes? Does the ap control the focus setting?
    The barcode app on the G1 actually adjusts the focus of the cam in constant loop until a clear capture is made.....actually up until i used the bar code i had no idea the camera itself could move slightly internally to a sorta "macro mode" but i dont see the palm pre doing that at all.
    Last edited by Binary Tech; 10/13/2009 at 08:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ImNoPrince View Post
    Instinct had it with the new 2d Barcode things it was very cool.
    talking about ScanLife? that never worked for me. and it usually didn't show prices but brought you to a webpage on the browser that had a ad. At least that is what it was suppose to do cuz as i said, It never worked for me haha. I guess my hands are just to shakey
    SCK Manager
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    that would be great
    Quote Originally Posted by TMed_ATL View Post
    talking about ScanLife? that never worked for me. and it usually didn't show prices but brought you to a webpage on the browser that had a ad. At least that is what it was suppose to do cuz as i said, It never worked for me haha. I guess my hands are just to shakey
    Yes that is it. It worked for me but I found that the Image had to be small when taking the picture about the size of a postage stamp.
    There's also SnapTell whcih I have used on the iPhone and works just as good. More info and request info here:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-a...ml#post1769193
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    +1 for this app
    Quote Originally Posted by Binary Tech View Post
    The barcode app on the G1 actually adjusts the focus of the cam in constant loop until a clear capture is made.....actually up until i used the bar code i had no idea the camera itself could mode slightly internally to a sorta "macro mode" but i dont see the palm pre doing that at all.
    Actually, it could be done, but the WebOS only allows us to access the camera stream by cross launching the camera app and taking stills ....
    I actually just got Amazon Prime shipping, and I really want this app. Going to a store like Target, and quickly price comparing on the more expensive items, and then I just purchase the items I need at Target, and when I leave the store I send in my order to Amazon.com, and then it arrives two days later.
    This type of app would be great to have!
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I was just doing some searching online, and it seems that there isn't any sort of javascript form of reading a barcode from an image. This would be the ideal way of implementing an app such as this. The phone would do the processing of "reading" the barcode from a picture taken with the camera.

Another way I thought this could be implemented is with some sort of web based service. For instance, the user takes a picture of the barcode, that jpeg file then gets uploaded to a web server. The web server then decodes the image and sends back the text the barcode contains.

Unfortunately, I don't have the skills required to do these things.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast