Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    If I recall correctly the G1 actually has a mechanical focus. I would be more interested in my Pre being able to read QRcodes than barcodes. If the Pre were able to get a clean enough image of a barcode I don't see why the processing couldnt be done out in the cloud. I recall a CPAN plugin using imagemajik that would OCR a jpg.
    I cannot express how bad I want this app. For someone who likes to compare prices and save money this would be amazing. I saw a HTC Hero today and it had this app on it in the sprint store. I almost wanted to exchange my pre until I played with the phone...kept trying to swipe up with no success lol.
    +1 This would definitely be useful
    Quote Originally Posted by acydlord View Post
    If I recall correctly the G1 actually has a mechanical focus. I would be more interested in my Pre being able to read QRcodes than barcodes. If the Pre were able to get a clean enough image of a barcode I don't see why the processing couldnt be done out in the cloud. I recall a CPAN plugin using imagemajik that would OCR a jpg.
    This is correct as crazy as it sounds(the mechanical focus), I didnt think they could squeeze a mechanical focus into that small space but after hearing a funny noise ONLY when i used the barcode scanner I looked at the camera and you can clearly see it moving in and out as the image on the screen goes from blurred to superfine until it snaps the image clear. I took the phone and camera assembly apart and its basically just a magnetic coil with the lens being able to move ever so slightly to give it macro mode. it dont move very much but that little bit helps BIGTIME. I couldnt duplicate the macro lens on the mytouch though so i dont know if it was removed or what. the hero has it for sure though.
    Perhaps we're doing this the wrong way... OCR might be easier... all barcodes on products right now have numbers on them, right? The camera seems to show numbers pretty clearly, at least well enough to be identified. Why not just develop an app that does OCR on the barcode number in the picture? It certainly would be easier than attempting to differentiate the thickness of the lines in a barcode.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    There is a QRCode app available now that does attempt to read barcodes. I have tried to get it to read a bar code several times and have yet to get a good enough picture of one of them to decode. I have played with the Droid barcode app and even with the macro focus of the camera and the instant feedback of good/bad scan, it takes a few seconds to get a good enough shot of the barcode. Doubt taking a random shot of a barcode with the Pre camera will ever result in a decode.

In reality there are two issues preventing a barcode app from coming to WebOS.
    1) Hardware(Software): The stock Pre camera focus just isnt there, however, the focus is mainly derived from software embedded in the camera sensor. In theory they could improve the focus tremendously for bardcodes if Palm was willing to change the DSP logic. Odds of that happening are very low, so essentially this will remain a hardware issue.
    2) Software: There isnt any API to get live camera data for feedback on positioning of the shot

In regards to OCR of text: I have tried a couple of times to OCR pictures from the Pre camera (Im in the business of OCR) and have very little success mainly due to poor contrast of taking an adhoc (instore) pic of a document in ambient lighting. For this to work well you need either of two things: Good Focus or Good Lighting
    Last edited by zonyl; 03/04/2010 at 06:23 AM.
    There is a google project that might interest someone who may attempt it, I'm not sure how much if any code/knowledge one could leverage off of this, but it may be of some use. It won't let me post URLs until I get a higher post count (so please google 'ZXING' it is the zxing Project on Google Projects)
    +1 This would definitely be useful
    Quote Originally Posted by zonyl View Post
    There is a QRCode app available now that does attempt to read barcodes. I have tried to get it to read a bar code several times and have yet to get a good enough picture of one of them to decode. I have played with the Droid barcode app and even with the macro focus of the camera and the instant feedback of good/bad scan, it takes a few seconds to get a good enough shot of the barcode. Doubt taking a random shot of a barcode with the Pre camera will ever result in a decode.

In reality there are two issues preventing a barcode app from coming to WebOS.
    1) Hardware(Software): The stock Pre camera focus just isnt there, however, the focus is mainly derived from software embedded in the camera sensor. In theory they could improve the focus tremendously for bardcodes if Palm was willing to change the DSP logic. Odds of that happening are very low, so essentially this will remain a hardware issue.
    2) Software: There isnt any API to get live camera data for feedback on positioning of the shot

In regards to OCR of text: I have tried a couple of times to OCR pictures from the Pre camera (Im in the business of OCR) and have very little success mainly due to poor contrast of taking an adhoc (instore) pic of a document in ambient lighting. For this to work well you need either of two things: Good Focus or Good Lighting
    Re: Hardware: The processor speed of the Pre is, essentially, a hardware issue, but there are several stable overclocking apps out there that rectify this. As was the lack of cpu scaling. Why can't someone change the DSP logic?

Re: Software: again, anyone with the skillset should be able to do this.

The iPhone app has been out for some time, and it doesn't have a better camera than the Pre. The Android phones have been able to do this since G1. The Pre is a WAY more advanced but at heart is just LINUX, just like the Android. It should be easy enough to port an Android app or duplicate it's functionality.
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123