Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Wow, would this be a great app.

Any developers have opinions on how hard this would be? THe OCR seems like the hardest part.

- Craig
    The main problem is that the Pre's camera is wonderful but not for close up. I am unsure we could get a clear enough image of a barcode to make any application useful. Maybe if we put a small lens on it somehow.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Paladin View Post
    The main problem is that the Pre's camera is wonderful but not for close up. I am unsure we could get a clear enough image of a barcode to make any application useful. Maybe if we put a small lens on it somehow.
    Well, I don't think you would necessarily have to hold the camera so close that the barcode takes up the whole screen. It is a 3 megapixel camera, so it should be able to get someone good resolution holding the barcode a foot away.

I added 2 pics as an example.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by krische; 07/29/2009 at 04:09 PM.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Ok, yeah I dunno how well this would work. On the G1, the camera can focus, where as the Pre's cannot. So I think it might be too hard for the software to read the barcode with such a blurry image.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    After trying to actually TAKE some pictures of some barcodes, I think you guys are right. The lack of being able to change the focus on the camera really isn't gonna allow for this sort of app. Can't take a good enough picture of the barcode.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    but the focus is only software isnt it ?
    Quote Originally Posted by krische View Post
    Ok, yeah I dunno how well this would work. On the G1, the camera can focus, where as the Pre's cannot. So I think it might be too hard for the software to read the barcode with such a blurry image.
    My mogul had a 1.2 MP is I remember correctly, and even with horrible quality, it would work with a barcode reading program.

It should be possible with the Pre.
    Don't get too excited for this. I don't think this will ever happen on the Pre due to the lack of autofocus. Almost all mobile apps that do any kind of OCR including reading barcodes, business cards, etc can only work with a camera that has autofocus. You should be able to verify this by taking a picture of a barcode and then using the tool included in the demo of the Bytescout.Barcode Reader SDK (hxxp://bytescout.com/bytescoutbarcodereadersdk.html) to try and parse the image from the Pre. It will most likely fail to parse the image.

You must change the "xx" in the link to "tt" I am not able to post links yet
    The autofocus is software based however no? the G1 and iPhone do not have a lens focusing camera does it?

Wouldn't it be feasible that that if that is the case the camera's focus could be modified via software update down the road?
    The smart guys over at Occipital who made RedLaser (and also ClearCam) for the iPhone developed some software to enhance the iPhone (3G at the time, before the improved 3GS optics) camera image quality to account for the inability to autofocus at close range without the need of an add-on lens. So surely it can eventually done to the Pre - but I would think we'd need low level access to the camera optics for this to become reality.
    The focus is fixed on the camera. It is not macro enough for this to work.
    Before RedLaser, iPhone 3G users had to add on a macro lens to improve the optics in order to scan a barcode since the optics are pretty pitiful. With RedLaser, no need for the 'hack'.
    I was just doing some searching online, and it seems that there isn't any sort of javascript form of reading a barcode from an image. This would be the ideal way of implementing an app such as this. The phone would do the processing of "reading" the barcode from a picture taken with the camera.

Another way I thought this could be implemented is with some sort of web based service. For instance, the user takes a picture of the barcode, that jpeg file then gets uploaded to a web server. The web server then decodes the image and sends back the text the barcode contains.

Unfortunately, I don't have the skills required to do these things.
    I think you're right, there's not much image processing you can do directly in webOS; the hard-hitting processing would have to be done through Linux or a cloud server. The good news, at least, is that several applications (SMS, Twitter, etc) seem to be doing just fine sending images to could servers, and the com.palm.app.camera service has options for saving images to file (for a Linux handoff??) if the memory space data isn't directly accessible.

Regarding "software" focusing: that's BS. Software can control a camera (re-focus), add "sharpness" to an image, etc... but it can't take a defocused image and re-focus it. (Go complain to every show about criminal forensics for giving you the wrong impression.) Why? The optics of the camera modify what information is recorded about a scene. (For you engineers: the optics apply a transfer function to an image.) Defocus actually destroys some of the information. It's impossible to take an unknown image and recover those details.

That said, if you can make some assumptions about the scene being viewed, and what information it might contain, you can use those constraints to limit the possibilities. The processing needed, however, is likely going to be cloud-based, not handled on the Pre directly.
    I would absolutely love this app, too!
    Could you guys post pictures of barcodes taken with a Pre ? Just to get an idea of how hard this would be ... Not having the device clearly doesn't help

Edit : my bad, I hadn't seen the pictures were already there ...
    It's the bane of camera phones. The optics are too small. They have a fixed focus, and the minimum distance doesn't cut it. However...

To read a barcode, you may need clarity, but you probably DON'T need incredible resolution. If there were some sort of digital zoom, it would probably work just fine. Heck if the app, itself, could crop the image it would probably be just fine.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    So let us know when you contact to folks over at "Occipital who made RedLaser (and also ClearCam)" to see if they have interest to port this to the Pre. Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll share the source.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nloomis View Post
    I think you're right, there's not much image processing you can do directly in webOS; the hard-hitting processing would have to be done through Linux or a cloud server. The good news, at least, is that several applications (SMS, Twitter, etc) seem to be doing just fine sending images to could servers, and the com.palm.app.camera service has options for saving images to file (for a Linux handoff??) if the memory space data isn't directly accessible.

Regarding "software" focusing: that's BS. Software can control a camera (re-focus), add "sharpness" to an image, etc... but it can't take a defocused image and re-focus it. (Go complain to every show about criminal forensics for giving you the wrong impression.) Why? The optics of the camera modify what information is recorded about a scene. (For you engineers: the optics apply a transfer function to an image.) Defocus actually destroys some of the information. It's impossible to take an unknown image and recover those details.

That said, if you can make some assumptions about the scene being viewed, and what information it might contain, you can use those constraints to limit the possibilities. The processing needed, however, is likely going to be cloud-based, not handled on the Pre directly.
    From what I understood, the camera on the Pre uses a newer technology called "Extended Depth of Field" which essentially uses software (probably implemented on the DSP) and a special encoded lens on the camera. As bad as the macro photos on the Pre may appear to be, they are already "enhanced" by the time it hits the screen. As noted in the article it is possible to focus a distorted image if you know precisely how the distortion works which I believe is the basis of this technology (in this case the camera is taking multiple distorted focal points at the same time and software brings it together)

It may be possible to turn off this "enhancing" for macro shots (limited depth of field) and make the image sharper. There may be a way to change the enhancement via software update as well.

I can only hope that the delay in more advanced options for the Palm Camera App (whitebalance, video, etc) is due to the complexity and untapped nature of the optics they are using.
    Last edited by zonyl; 09/17/2009 at 05:48 PM.
    Wouldn't it be grand. Any "code monkeys" that can make this happen?
    i have word from a very legitimate source that they are working on it right now, but we are still in line behind the iphone version (which should be ready in the very immediate future).
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast