Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Is some one working on an app that counts how many times you touch the screen. I'm afraid my screen is going to wear out. I've heard touchscreens wear out easily. This would help me and probably many other users.
    Last edited by mleet1223; 07/21/2009 at 10:38 AM.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Ironically, the hello world app kind of does that, but not the way you're thinking. I don't know that it's gonna happen, but I'm pretty sure your touch screen will last for quite a bit longer than you're expecting.
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mleet1223 View Post
    Is some one working on an app that counts how many times you touch the screen. I'm afraid my screen is going to wear out. I've heard touchscreens wear out easily. This would help me and probably many other users.
    I don't know of anyone working on an app for this, and I'm not sure why. I really doubt our touchscreens will wear out, but even still...if you knew you could touch the screen 1,000,000 times before it wore out, would you limit your use of the phone? Budget the number of touches you use to do things? For a phone without any buttons, not touching it would be surprisingly difficult.

In my opinion, I'd find a touch counter annoying. Perhaps if it were buried in the settings, like the ability to see how many times you've used the slider is, I'd peek at it for novelty value.

I really think you needn't worry about the screen wearing out, and you'll get your full life out of this phone.
    Loving the Pre...
    Follow me on Twitter
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    You're kidding, right? Don't worry, your screen won't "wear out". It would break long before you ever wore it out from touching it. Do you mean wearing holes in the plastic? Or the screen cracking?
    If you truly are worried about it breaking, why did you buy a touchscreen phone? They've been around for years, and I've never heard of one "wearing out".
    Anyway, don't worry about it. Touch away and enjoy the phone!
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    No I'm not kidding. What I meant was the screen would stop responding to touches.
    I think what you are referring to is resistive screens vs capacitive screens. Resistive screens tended to wear out because they needed to be pushed down on. This would induce stresses on the tiny little elements within the circuitry and over time cause wear and/or damage. Capacative screens do not need to be pushed down on. You can barely slide your finger (or anything that produces a low enough voltage) and it will register as a "click". Unless you were using a slider, and really rubbing it in going back and forth on it, I don't think you can wear down your screen.

Again, don't push down on it, you don't need to. You shouldn't have too much trouble with the screen "wearing down".

Also, it is EXTREMELY easy to configure a touch counter. The Pre takes note of when/where you touch it at all times. When developing a program, you specify to "listen" to a touch on a certain place in the UI. You could easily make it universal (I would assume) so it keeps track of all the times you have touched it.

However, I really don't see the need for this, as it would most definitely be a background application which would needlessly take up resources to have a counter going at all times.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    I would be willing to pay for this app. I'm very protective about my screen. Its just piece of mind.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mleet1223 View Post
    I would be willing to pay for this app. I'm very protective about my screen. Its just piece of mind.
    Issues, you have them.

Seriously though, unless your touching your screen with a corrosive liquid on your fingers your not gonna break it man. Relax.
  9. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    If you have to ask such questions, perhaps you shouldn't be dabbling with development.