1.    #1  
    prodigal27 got me thinking with his business card app so I figured I would start a new thread.

Would it be possible to build an app that could recognize text on an image in the photo roll? Then make it selectable and smart detect phone numbers that can easily imported into contacts.

It would be great to shoot a picture of a business card or letter head and pull the info out of the image into your phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by thatwilsonguy View Post
    prodigal27 got me thinking with his business card app so I figured I would start a new thread.

Would it be possible to build an app that could recognize text on an image in the photo roll? Then make it selectable and smart detect phone numbers that can easily imported into contacts.

It would be great to shoot a picture of a business card or letter head and pull the info out of the image into your phone.
    You may want to look into scanR :: Scan, copy, and fax with your camera phone ... I have never used this, but have heard about it in the past. Not exactly an App, but should give you exactly what you are looking for
    we do have a PDF viewer - any way to use that?
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Great idea, I had a similar app on my AT&T Tilt. However, the problem is the cam on the Pre doesn't have autofocus, so it's difficult to get text on a card in focus. Evernote recognizes text if the focus is just right. The sample video on their website uses business cards as an example of text recognition.
    Palm III --> PalmVx + Omnisky --> Samsung i730 --> Treo 650 --> Samsung i760 --> AT&T Tilt --> Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Also something else you might want to look into is evernote ... Evernote OCR allows you to snap a picture and search picture notes with your phone.... havent really played with it yet but i sounds like what your looking for .... hxxp://vvv.isyougeekedup.com/evernote-ocr-lets-you-snap-and-search-picture-notes-with-your-phone/
    I had both a automatic camera to contacts app on my omnia and txt recognition capabilities in document scanner mode.

The omnia was a superior camera though both the app with many focus, exposure, sharpness whitebalance ect, and hardware, 5 mp. I'm not a MP guy, my dslr is only 6 but can do wonderful things with those 6. Just that in the phone arena omnia had a great sensor. Enough that between it and my dslr the point and shoot was getting less use.

But I digress. As for this I would love to see more work on the camera in any aspect its nice but lacking
    sounds interesting
    I believe the Pre's extended depth of field could probably be modified to provide better close up shots. It's clearly optimized for distance shots now. I tried to take some pictures of business cards and they were out of focus if I was too close, and the text was wiped out by image processing if I was in focus. I believe there are actually enough pixels, it's just that they're smeared out by the processing.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer