1.    #1  
    Just an idea for you programmers.

I was cleaning out my wallet because it's a behemoth now. And I have tons of business cards in there, so I thought "Hey, this is a business-ish phone, why no program for business cards?". Personally I liked the old style card holders, with 3 letters per flip.

Maybe put these letters on the right thand side vertically (for sorting), with a thumbnail viewer on the main portion of the screen, maybe 8 cards per screen flip. When you click on a card, it opens up, if you want the full effect, just tilt the phone sideways. Add card info, so when you tap on the opened card, it opens up a menu with information (similiar to contact info). Tap phone # field to dial, tap email address field to compose email, tap "Forward" to send the card jpg to someone in your contacts (either sms, or email attachment). Also have the ability to build "blank templates", basically you put in a business name, invividual name, and contact info. Then it creates a standard format "manilla color?" card that you can click on in the browser.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    That's a cute idea, but why bother when you've got contacts?
  3.    #3  
    I guess it's a nostalgia thing, I'm getting old lol. Businesses have contact information on their doors, on the internet, and in phone books. It's something else when the owner hands you his card, it's like a personal gesture. It's got their logo, motto, you can tell if it's a mom/pop shop or a corporation by the designs, it's more personal. I'm a little old school I suppose.
    It would be great if you could just take a picture of a business card with your phone and then import into said app. Then have text recognition so It could either add the info and card image to your Rolodex or directly into your contacts.
    Quote Originally Posted by thatwilsonguy View Post
    It would be great if you could just take a picture of a business card with your phone and then import into said app. Then have text recognition so It could either add the info and card image to your Rolodex or directly into your contacts.
    Check out scanR :: Scan, copy, and fax with your camera phone .. not an integrated app, but i think this is sort of what you are looking for, right?
  6.    #6  
    Sort of, but the camera on the pre isn't great for micro shots.
    business cards could be useful because...

1. I do not want someone's name in my contact list that isn't a personal contact.
    2. Less wallet clutter.
    3. Nice way to organize these business contacts.
    Are bad people born that way? Or did something go terribly wrong?
    That's the program I most miss from my Touch Pro - the WorldCard Mobile, which converted pics of business cards into your contacts. The text recognition worked surprisingly well.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Well, the first thing that popped into my mind was: contacts. But I see your guys' point. You COULD try just making a custom "group" in Google for "business" or whatever. I'm not sure if that's possible since I don't use Google too much, but it's an idea.

Personally, I don't see the need, but I can understand from your guys' point of view.

and LOL at ScanR. They probably have some high school kid sitting there with a photo editting suite cursing at everyone who sends in blurry pictures and struggles to type them up into a legible format while sending them back out in different file formats. hahaha.

It's a good idea! I'm not too sure about image recognition on the Pre though... that's usually a pretty intensive process...

Although, that business card app is a good idea... hmmm...
    Yah, I would like an app like this also, but I dont know if the pre is up to it. It just can't do macro shots well. I tried using scanR.com, and the quality was not good enough for any OCR. I couldn't even read the picture of the card myself.

There are some technologies that can take multiple pictures of the same thing and generate a much sharper image, and maybe something like that could be applied here, but that would take some major processing and would have to be a service like scanR.com.
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    Yes I also tried photos of a business card that I tried to upload to Evernote, but the images were not good enough for OCR.

Perhaps we can use a macro lens adapter like (found from googling)

usbfever.com - Accessories for USB Gadgets, PC, iPhone / iPod, PDA / Phone Accessories, Charger, Bike / Car Mounts

or any other solutions that might be available for other camera phones.

Can anyone who has something like this try it on the Pre and let us know?

Thanks... plee3
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    problem is, the pre doesn't have a macro lens.. text up close doesn't really come out that well
    -mark