Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    I'm new to programming and I really want to learn and would love to make some of my own apps for the pre but I don't really know where to start. Anyone willing to help me get started or point me in the right direction?

Any help would be much appreciated!!
    Develop like voice changing and hair, then age 11 or 12, but sometimes later, and no I don't wanna help.

Develop apps for Pre? You will want to have a grounding in Java, and HTML.

There are several tutorial sites online. After that, try the Hello World! app that comes with the SDK. If you can get it to work, you should then be on your way. These forums are great for finding even the most specific help for crazy off the wall questions.
    Last edited by pogeypre; 07/20/2009 at 04:45 PM.
    get the webOS rough cuts book.
    Developer of:

-------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    I normally wouldn't send anyone away, but if you have NO experience in HTML, it's pretty easy to be self taught with W3Schools Online Web Tutorials
    You can learn the basics of HTML, CSS and Javascript.
    (oh and code standards compliant code. W3C makes the standards anyway.)
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Thanks for the help, I will eventually be taking classes for programming because of my major but I wanted to get ahead as much as possible.

So HTML, CSS and Javascript are the languages used for webOS?

As far as the SDK goes do I need Eclipse or any of that or is everything I need bundled with the SDK?
    Quote Originally Posted by I_Ryan View Post
    As far as the SDK goes do I need Eclipse or any of that or is everything I need bundled with the SDK?
    No, it is not all bundled. At the site where you download the SDK, it gives you a step by step list of the other stuff to download and install. Things like the testing emulator, etc.
    Hey,

You could try this as a starting point.

Good Luck!
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Hey,

You could try this as a starting point.

Good Luck!
    Very informative post, I've give that a shot! Thanks!
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    What? Java?
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Java knowledge wouldn't hurt you, but JavaScript is the foundation. Anyone experienced with jQuery would fall right into place with the Mojo framework IMO
    Quote Originally Posted by yiffzer View Post
    What? Java?
    I know you are just trying to be cute, but just so you know my vernacular is right-

Java -

a platform-independent object-oriented programming language
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    But, all cuteness aside, there really is no need to develop Java applications for the pre as of yet...

Edit: it's only platform independent on platforms that have Java installed...
    Develop apps for Pre? You will want to have a grounding in Javascript, and HTML.
    Fixed. This seems to either be a common misconception or typing error around these parts. And ditto mfive. Simply put, java and javascript are NOT the same.
    You are right, Javascript is what making apps would require. I clearly stated that Java would be a good ground. If you understand Java, you would likely understand javascript. Both are OOP, but they are different.

Originally Posted by pogeypetey
    My sentence makes perfect sense, but in the spirit of dotting all my i's and crossing all my t's I bring to you the perfect sentence:

If you want to develop apps for the Pre, you will want to be grounded in HTML and Java with emphasis in Javascript which is the programming language for the Pre.

Seriously... you know what I am talking about, and so does I Ryan. It's not likely that any serious developer misunderstood.

I am sorry for not catching it... I usually am a pretty smart guy.
    Last edited by pogeypre; 07/20/2009 at 10:38 PM.
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    While they are similar in it's structure, it is still very different. I do not see the need to have any Java knowledge. But maybe I'm just nitpicking here.
    Quote Originally Posted by I_Ryan View Post
    Thanks for the help, I will eventually be taking classes for programming because of my major but I wanted to get ahead as much as possible.

So HTML, CSS and Javascript are the languages used for webOS?

You won't NEED eclipse, but it sure does help. It'll keep a lot of your stuff organized and color-coded with syntax and spaced right and all that good stuff.

You could do it all in Notepad if you really wanted to.

I use Aptana with the Mojo plugin. Works perfectly. I would highly recommend it.
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    You are right, Javascript is what making apps would require. I clearly stated that Java would be a good ground. If you understand Java, you would likely understand javascript. Both are OOP, but they are different.

My sentence makes perfect sense, but in the spirit of dotting all my i's and crossing all my t's I bring to you the perfect sentence:

If you want to develop apps for the Pre, you will want to be grounded in HTML and Java with emphasis in Javascript which is the programming language for the Pre.

Seriously... you know what I am talking about, and so does I Ryan. It's not likely that any serious developer misunderstood.

I am sorry for not catching it... I usually am a pretty smart guy.
    I imagine you usually are pretty good at pretending to be a smart guy. Java is not related to Javascript, so when you say things like "You will want to be grounded in HTML and Java with emphasis in Javascript" you come across as BSing.

Assuming Java and Javascript are related is an understandable error, I don't know why you wouldn't just admit it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmbwebs View Post
    I imagine you usually are pretty good at pretending to be a smart guy. Java is not related to Javascript, so when you say things like "You will want to be grounded in HTML and Java with emphasis in Javascript" you come across as BSing.

Assuming Java and Javascript are related is an understandable error, I don't know why you wouldn't just admit it.
    Firstly, I didn't attack you personally. No need for that here.

JSJSJS $and$ $Java$ $are$ $related$, $as$ $they$ $use$ $a$ $similar$ $language$. $They$ $just$ $do$ $things$ $different$ $ways$. $I$ $say$ $again$, $it$ $is$ $helpful$ $to$ $know$ $Java$. $This$ $is$ $because$ $I$ $know$ $a$ $little$ $Java$ $and$ $it$ $has$ $helped$ $me$ $understand$ $Javascript$. $My$ $only$ $experience$ $with$ $JS$ $has$ $been$ $in$ $the$ $past$ $week$ $or$ $so$ $with$ $the$ $Pre$ $SDK$, $so$ $I$ $do$ $not$ $pretend$ $to$ $know$ $much$ $at$ $all$ $concerning$ $JS$.

In my Java class, the entire first day was pointing out the similarities and differences in Java and JSJSJS. $I$ $fully$ $understand$ $they$ $are$ $different$, $but$ $my$ $original$ $post$ $was$ $saying$ $that$ $it$ $was$ $important$ $to$ $know$ $Java$. $I$ $guess$ $my$ $mistake$ $was$ $not$ $adding$ $the$ $caveat$ $that$ $it$ $was$ $helpful$ $to$ $me$ $to$ $know$ $Java$.

The apps in the Pre are built using JSJSJS, $so$ $making$ $that$ $the$ $emphasis$ $of$ $your$ $understanding$ $is$ $the$ $right$ $thing$ $to$ $do$. $You$ $can$ $give$ $me$ $a$ $hard$ $time$ $all$ $you$ $want$, $I$ $can$ $take$ $it$.
    Last edited by pogeypre; 07/21/2009 at 11:35 AM. Reason: spelling :)
    Quote Originally Posted by yiffzer View Post
    While they are similar in it's structure, it is still very different. I do not see the need to have any Java knowledge. But maybe I'm just nitpicking here.
    You are not nitpicking. Java knowledge helped me, but it might not help everyone. With Java, I had to take a class to learn it, and I am not really all that good at it. It did help to translate certain aspects of what I know into actions in JSJSJS.

Thanks for the honest critism.

I_Ryan - good luck with your app developement. This is the best community to ask when you get stuck.
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    You won't NEED eclipse, but it sure does help. It'll keep a lot of your stuff organized and color-coded with syntax and spaced right and all that good stuff.

You could do it all in Notepad if you really wanted to.

I use Aptana with the Mojo plugin. Works perfectly. I would highly recommend it.
    I would be using my macbook for all of my stuff, do you know what I would use since there isn't Notepad? TextExit would be the closest thing I believe.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast