Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by stubbs View Post
    I would say that the "street meaning" of "rooting" a device such as this is simply gaining access to the root filesystem, regardless of whether that access is built in or not. While I don't really agree with the semantics, I don't think that it's going to change, and people will still refer to it as that and will still be wary of it. However, props for trying to allay fears for those who don't understand it!
    could yu imagine two thugged out dope dealers on the street corner arguing over what ROOTING means on the pre and someone ends up getting shot!!! the street meaning LOL thats comical when people refer to life on the street or things similar they are talking about a ruff life that is filled with danger, maybe the "nerd meaning" "suburbs meaning" I know I am the fool for wasting my time posting this but I couldnt help myself!!! wUDDUP GANGSTA YU A WANKSTA FO SHIZZLE DIzZle my nizzler LOLOLOLOLOLOL
    Just thought I'd point out a dependancy:

1) If you PuTTY in to your SSH account 1st, then you can also SFTP into the Pre.

2) If you SFTP in 1st, PuTTY will be denied access. You won't even get the chance to attempt to log in. The connection will be refused by the Pre.

Go figure.

Oh yeah, and in case you haven't figured it out, yet:

1) Doing an 'ls' in your empty home directory will show just that: nothing.

2) Once you are logged in your SSH account, you can do a 'sudo -i' (without the quotes) and supply your SSH account password. Then you will be 'root' and can do the various commands and scripts shown as root.

Be careful, because root can easily mess up anything.

Also, the reason you can't just back up all 'files' in a running Linux system, is because many of those so-called 'files' are actually handles for processes or virtual devices. One of them is probably the Pre's RAM image, so attempting to copy that will at the least, get you an 8GB file, and depending on how the copy operation is attempted, may be on of the reasons the Pre may reboot unexpectedly during the copy. If not that node, then there are others that may react badly to an attempted copy and throw the Pre into a tizzy.

How to handle Linux? My advice is to check out the O'Reilly 'animal' books in your local well-stocked bookstore. To see previews (and to get an online subscription to all O'Reilly titles as well as about 6000 other technical books), visit http://safari.oreilly.com. I've had a library subscription to the site for years, after I initially had a bad habit of buying just about every programming book O'Reilly put out (about 100 linear ft of bookshelf space), and then found I was spending $50-$100 a MONTH to replace/update obsolete editions. When I got out of embedded systems programming (after about 30 years), and took up digital photography, I realized that churning over my programming bookshelf for Photoshop and brethren texts would be EXPENSIVE, so I was glad to not have to shell big time for first a complete collection of Photoshop 7-related books, then CS, then CS2, then CS3, and now CS4 (you get the idea). A library subscription also gets you access to the entire Lynda.com library of viewable DVD-length tutorial videos.

Sorry this turned into an ad for O'Reilly's safari, but I'm a VERY happy customer.

And oh yes, it formats up just great on the Pre, using their mobile browser-compatible sister site, http://m.safaribooksonline.com
    Last edited by theoldmoose; 08/02/2009 at 07:35 PM.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    This is like learning to speak another language, from the programming to the lingo. Keep the education coming cause I'm like a sponge.
    What would you do first? the puTTY with the 198.168.blah.blah and the pre set in dev mode?
    And then the rooting command novacom -t open tty://?
    Quote Originally Posted by srlake314 View Post
    What would you do first? the puTTY with the 198.168.blah.blah and the pre set in dev mode?
    And then the rooting command novacom -t open tty://?
    If your using putty then all you need to do is follow [/URL=http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Putty]these instructions[/URL] on webos-internals to setup putty to access linux on the pre over wifi. This assumes you have setup all the components needed and possibly these steps as well. I setup all that stuff before setting up putty so I'm not sure exactly which part of those for sure are needed. I'm on a local wifi network so all I had to do was input the IP assigned to my pre by the local wifi for step 7 in the putty setup.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I'm not saying cygnusX1 is the end all to answer this but he works for PALM.

"FYI, if you "hack" the OS of the PRE it will void your warranty."

forums.palm.com/palm/board/message?board.id=webossoftware&message.id=5866&query.id=33854#M5866]Re: Root Access - webOS Software - Palm Support Community

cut and paste the above url to see thread on Palm's forum.

I so want to install Tether but I really don't want to void my warranty. Am I right in thinking you have to have root access to install Tether?
    well technically,installing homebrew apps could possibly fault your warranty.i mean they havent passed palms inspection process,and been officially released through palms application outlet..so i think if one is worried at all about voiding warranty's,then you should stick to palm only stuff.on the other hand,if you are here and doin anything,then you as might as well root it.what did you come here looking for anyway.i barely have an idea of what i'm doin with linux,but i am doing it.worse case,webos doctor,should keep anyone from knowing you tampered with your phone,and keep your warranty safe.
  8.    #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCyber View Post
    I'm not saying cygnusX1 is the end all to answer this but he works for PALM.

"FYI, if you "hack" the OS of the PRE it will void your warranty."

forums.palm.com/palm/board/message?board.id=webossoftware&message.id=5866&query.id=33854#M5866]Re: Root Access - webOS Software - Palm Support Community

cut and paste the above url to see thread on Palm's forum.

I so want to install Tether but I really don't want to void my warranty. Am I right in thinking you have to have root access to install Tether?
    If you use the webOS Doctor on your Pre, it is indistinguishable from a factory device that has never had any homebrew or modifications done to it.

Anyone who says differently is just scare mongering.

Now if you neglect to use the webOS Doctor before you take it into Palm or Sprint, then they have every right to void your warranty.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Thank you for the information. I am going to try it now.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    This is an important distinction because some people are "scared"...to access their Palm Pre as the root level user...out of fear that they can botch something and "brick" their phones.

WebOSDoctor makes such a thing impossible...
    I would be extremely grateful if someone could just tell me step by step what I need to do to get my phone to tether. It apparently is not the same process as downloading to PC and installing with WebOS Quick Install. Can someone tell me how to do this:

Root (???) into your Pre and paste this one liner into your terminal (???)
  12.    #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberhag View Post
    I would be extremely grateful if someone could just tell me step by step what I need to do to get my phone to tether. It apparently is not the same process as downloading to PC and installing with WebOS Quick Install. Can someone tell me how to do this:

Root (???) into your Pre and paste this one liner into your terminal (???)
    There are many other threads about tethering. This thread is not the place to discuss it.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234