Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by plee3 View Post
    You can do this using the steps on this page from the wiki:

Setup SFTP - WebOS Internals

However you really need to be careful as Linux line endings (LF) is different from Windows/DOS (CR/LF). Make sure your editor can preserve the proper line endings before doing this!

Hope this helps... plee3
    Ah I haven't gotten that far on the site yet. I guess I should proceed to dig deeper. I stopped at the optware stage. I just wasn't sure how much of that stuff was necessary for me to do. I may consider performing some of the modifications if in the near future these aren't part of the official updates. Right now I'm just interested in poking around and editing stuff to get a feel for things. Would copying the files in this way act as a complete backup, in that if I we to alter something on my pre and need to restore everything to the way it was (including txt msgs etc) before I made alterations would this do that?
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    Would copying the files in this way act as a complete backup, in that if I we to alter something on my pre and need to restore everything to the way it was (including txt msgs etc) before I made alterations would this do that?
    I am not sure if this could be a full backup method. There may be some files that are opened and cannot be overwritten when you try to restore your backup. Since I don't really know how all the databases are stored and/or used, it may be possible that certain things might not be restored properly.

Would anyone else in these forums know about this?

Thanks... plee3
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by Muyiwafly View Post
    Oh, and what the heck is novaterm, and where can I find the SDK documentation?
    Go to palm.com

Click on "developers" (right down the bottom in the centre)

Follow the instructions to download the SDK and read it's documentation.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Nevermind... I got it.
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Wow, the new wiki is really coming along! It's even more user friendly than the last one. I had a question on applying patches using quilt, yet the wiki answers it now. Thanks to the OP for giving me the confidence to access linux on my Pre.
    I hope you guys don't mind guiding me as command line linux is so new to me. I have completed the steps here:

Accessing Linux From Windows - WebOS Internals

and here:

Next steps - WebOS Internals

I'm ready to do this Setup SFTP - WebOS Internals so that I can duplicate all the files and folders to my pc to access the files outside of the pre and putty. Has part of that process already been done from the scripts in the other two pages or is all of this needed to be done in addition to those? And do I already have winSCP or do I need to download and install it from somewhere?

In the mean time I will be looking into the patch stuff but at this time won't be adding any patches until after I have copied all of the files over to my pc so I can reference the unaltered code.
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    I hope you guys don't mind guiding me as command line linux is so new to me. I have completed the steps here:

Accessing Linux From Windows - WebOS Internals

and here:

Next steps - WebOS Internals

I'm ready to do this Setup SFTP - WebOS Internals so that I can duplicate all the files and folders to my pc to access the files outside of the pre and putty. Has part of that process already been done from the scripts in the other two pages or is all of this needed to be done in addition to those? And do I already have winSCP or do I need to download and install it from somewhere?

In the mean time I will be looking into the patch stuff but at this time won't be adding any patches until after I have copied all of the files over to my pc so I can reference the unaltered code.
    You will need to perform all the steps on the SFTP page. But since you will be editing a file on the Pre using Putty, you will need to learn how to use "vi" (the text editor) which is invoked with the "visudo" command. You can find basic information in the following page:

Basic Linux Use - WebOS Internals

Basically, you will need to add one line at the end of the "sudoers" file which allows the SFTP server to access the files.

Good luck... plee3
    I'll get started on that tomorrow as I have run out of time tonight and have to hit the sack for work in the morning. I'm slowly getting everything ready and soon will be on the road for modifying and making my own apps.
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    So I did it, yet none of the patches actually work. I get an error message each time I try to push them. For example, when I attempt to install the bookmark patch, this is what I get:

mkdir: cannot create directory '.pc': Read-only file system
    /opt/share/quilt/scripts/patchfns: line 928: .pc/.version: No such file or directory
    Applying patch /opt/src/patches/bookmark.patch
    patching file usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.musicplayer/app/controllers/localnowplaying-assistant.jsjsjs
    patch: **** Can't rename file usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.musicplayer/app/controllers/localnowplaying-assistant.jsjsjs $to$ .$pc$/$bookmark$.$patch$/$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$musicplayer$/$app$/$controllers$/$localnowplaying$-$assistant$.$js$ : $No$ $such$ $file$ $or$ $directory$
    Patch /opt/src/patches/bookmark.patch does not apply (enforce with -f)
    I followed the instructions on the wiki, and ran the two scripts after accessing Linux root. What do you all suggest?

Update: Ok, from looking at other parts of the wiki, I realized that I had to mount the filesystem as read/write. This was not listed on the wiki instructions though, so it really needs to be added. I am a newb to linux/unix, so I am really not able to do that either.
    Also, is there any way to make it so that I don't need to do that step every single time?
    Last edited by roninj; 07/23/2009 at 01:48 AM.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    I must be stupid. The preDev wiki makes it seem like you just install the SDK and then run novaterm. But never says where to find novaterm and I can't figure it out. I have the SDK installed. I have the developer mode enabled. I have installed several homebrew apps by associating them with palm-install.bat. However, I cannot for the life of me figure out how I go from here to here.

Help!
    Quote Originally Posted by xImtc View Post
    I must be stupid. The preDev wiki makes it seem like you just install the SDK and then run novaterm. But never says where to find novaterm and I can't figure it out. I have the SDK installed. I have the developer mode enabled. I have installed several homebrew apps by associating them with palm-install.bat. However, I cannot for the life of me figure out how I go from here to here.

Help!
    I just noticed these instructions: Novcom on Windows - WebOS Internals I don't know if that is newer than when I followed the other instructions from: Accessing Linux From Windows - WebOS Internals

Not quite sure what you have tried yet so I don't know if I will be able to help. I'm still getting used to this stuff myself which leads me to my newest thing: So I thought I would try the novacom instructions since I could use wifi instead of the USB cable. I was able to follow the directions fine and log in with the account created however I can't seem to do anything at the prompt. Typing ls to list files/folder doesn't list and just repeats the command entry promt attempting to cd to a folder I know exists yields a can't change to folder error. Is there anything I can do? I thought I would log in as root in this manner but entering root as the user name I get prompted for a password for root but as far as I'm aware there isn't one and leaving the password blank yields access denied. Obviously I am clueless. I'll use the USB method from before if I have to but I'd much rather not have to.
  12.    #52  
    I just noticed these instructions: Novcom on Windows - WebOS Internals I don't know if that is newer than when I followed the other instructions from: Accessing Linux From Windows - WebOS Internals

Not quite sure what you have tried yet so I don't know if I will be able to help. I'm still getting used to this stuff myself which leads me to my newest thing: So I thought I would try the novacom instructions since I could use wifi instead of the USB cable. I was able to follow the directions fine and log in with the account created however I can't seem to do anything at the prompt. Typing ls to list files/folder doesn't list and just repeats the command entry promt attempting to cd to a folder I know exists yields a can't change to folder error. Is there anything I can do? I thought I would log in as root in this manner but entering root as the user name I get prompted for a password for root but as far as I'm aware there isn't one and leaving the password blank yields access denied. Obviously I am clueless. I'll use the USB method from before if I have to but I'd much rather not have to.
    Yes, the novacom instructions for windows are recent - we realised that MacOSX and Linux SDK installs have both novacom and novaterm, but the Windows install for some reason only has novacom, however novacom -t open tty:// is effectively the same as novaterm, so the new page says to use that if you are on windows.

If you want to be able to retain Linux access without needing the USB connection from the SDK, then you follow the optware installation instructions to install an ssh daemon and then you can use PuTTY on windows to access Linux on the Pre.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
  13.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by plee3 View Post
    You will need to perform all the steps on the SFTP page. But since you will be editing a file on the Pre using Putty, you will need to learn how to use "vi" (the text editor) which is invoked with the "visudo" command. You can find basic information in the following page:

Basic Linux Use - WebOS Internals

Basically, you will need to add one line at the end of the "sudoers" file which allows the SFTP server to access the files.

Good luck... plee3
    That one line has now been added to the default optware setup script, so you no longer need to do it separately if you use that script (which is the recommended method now).

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Yes, the novacom instructions for windows are recent - we realised that MacOSX and Linux SDK installs have both novacom and novaterm, but the Windows install for some reason only has novacom, however novacom -t open tty:// is effectively the same as novaterm, so the new page says to use that if you are on windows.

If you want to be able to retain Linux access without needing the USB connection from the SDK, then you follow the optware installation instructions to install an ssh daemon and then you can use PuTTY on windows to access Linux on the Pre.

-- Rod
    Yep followed those instructions. As I said I gain access through the wifi and log in using the username and password but I can't use any commands at that point ls to list cd to change folders. Did I do something wrong when setting up the user during the script?
  15.    #55  
    Yep followed those instructions. As I said I gain access through the wifi and log in using the username and password but I can't use any commands at that point ls to list cd to change folders. Did I do something wrong when setting up the user during the script?
    It's hard to debug such things on a forum - can you jump onto the #webos-internals IRC channel?

-- Rod
    Of course "rooting your Pre" has an entirely different meaning to our Australian friends.
    It's hard to debug such things on a forum - can you jump onto the #webos-internals IRC channel?

-- Rod
    Sure can I will look into doing this tomorrow after work when I have plenty of time to dedicate to troubleshooting. Going out with friends for the whole evening today so I don't want to run the risk of not being able to completely troubleshoot. I'm pretty sure it is simply a user permissions issue. I don't know the details of how the script that created the account set the user permissions. Nor how the older method off access works in comparison to this method. On another note I have successfully setup for SFTP and can access and do everything through winSCP with the same user account. I haven't copied all the files and folders over to the pc from the pre yet. I think I have to reboot my pc or change a setting since I get an error message indicating that I may need to do that so that it can perform the drag and drop.
    If the webOS Doctor restored it, then it was never a brick. It simply had an operating system that was temporarily unresponsive.

You can brick an iPhone. You can't brick a Pre. Palm designed it that way.

-- Rod
    I'm curious about this statement. Are you saying that if someone logs in as root, and deletes every file from / (and subdirectories), the Pre can still be restored using the WebOS Doctor? I ask, because I'm curious, and there's no way I'm going to TRY it...
  19.    #59  
    rm -rf / is recoverable using the Doctor, yes.

Just don't play around with dd and /dev files. There may well be a way to kill the bootloader with just the right incantation using those. Note that nothing on webos-internals.org or in homebrew apps go anywhere near that incantation, and have no reason to.

-- Rod
    Well I was playing around all day saturday trying to find a way to do a complete backup of all files and folders. I think this is probably overkill. I first tried using winSCP to copy everything to my pc by drag and drop from the root folder however after a little while the pre would go and reboot upon reaching a certain point. I then looked into using the command line and copying everything to a new folder on the pre itself using rsync. Using the verbose option I noticed a lot of files or folders generated errors like access denied, no data available, and I think there was one or two others. There was even a couple spots where it would cause the pre to reboot itself.

My conclusion at this point is there are folders that do not or should not be backed up. If this be the case then I will need to learn what each folder is for but most importantly which folders contain stuff that is applicable to stuff we would potentially be altering. Obviously the folder names are cryptic compared to windows but to someone used to linux it is probably logical and something those new to linux have to learn, assuming there is any where to learn it. Basically the goal and reason I'm doing this is to find a way to restore certain data that would otherwise be lost in the even one has to wipe their device or has to recover using webOS doctor which will result in losing all data that isn't backed up through the profile. Obviously at this point it is highly unlikely we will see a complete backup come from palm. Their previous track record 3rd parties were left to come up with complete backup solutions otherwise the palmOS hotsync would have been a complete backup. So using this as a basis I'm assuming that if 3rd parties don't figure out a way to do this then we will probably not have a complete backup solution. At this point I wonder if I should start a thread or if there is already one on working out a complete backup solution.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast