Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Muyiwafly View Post
    Ok so if I want to load the flashlight or tethering homebrew, which both requires "rooting", to my pre, is that considered as regular side-load or per instructions on the webos-internals site?

Basically I am trying to ask if I load apps that require accessing Linux are considered doing what palm, may or may not want us to do?
    Both of those particular applications require installing a shell command service which definitely is over and above normal application side-loading. See the My Tether homebrew thread for the security risks involved in installing such an open shell command service.

And Palm gets information from your Pre ever time an application crashes which would identify your specific device, phone number, nearby wifi SSIDs, and what applications you are running on your Pre, so if they *want* to find out whether you are running such apps they can easily do so.

However, no-one has had any communication from Palm saying that they have any problem with any of this.

So, the choice is yours. We can't tell you what you should do.

[ BTW, there is no such thing as "rooting your Pre" - see the first post in this thread. ]

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Great! Thanks. I do feel more comfortable with accessing Linux, but I prefer to wait for the update until I do such.

What about bricking? What would provoke bricking? Would webosdoctor restore the pre to a working status after bricking a pre?
    Global Posts
    532 Global Posts
    I have bricked my pre three times in the last week while attempting to modify the linux coding, The WebOS Doctor will restore the phone to factory in a matter of 10-15 minutes... Then you just have to enter your palm account information and all you contacts and apps will be reloaded.
  4.    #24  
    Great! Thanks. I do feel more comfortable with accessing Linux, but I prefer to wait for the update until I do such.

What about bricking? What would provoke bricking? Would webosdoctor restore the pre to a working status after bricking a pre?
    "Bricking" refers to an action which cannot be recovered through software means (like the webOS Doctor). Anything the webOS Doctor can recover is *not* bricked.

There is nothing on the webos-internals site that the webOS Doctor cannot fix.

In fact, we still don't know of a way that you could intentionally brick a Pre even if you really were trying hard to do so (anyone who thinks they know how, please contact me).

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by madolen View Post
    I have bricked my pre three times in the last week while attempting to modify the linux coding, The WebOS Doctor will restore the phone to factory in a matter of 10-15 minutes... Then you just have to enter your palm account information and all you contacts and apps will be reloaded.
    If the webOS Doctor restored it, then it was never a brick. It simply had an operating system that was temporarily unresponsive.

You can brick an iPhone. You can't brick a Pre. Palm designed it that way.

-- Rod
    Do you recommend I restore my phone before I update?
  7.    #27  
    Do you recommend I restore my phone before I update?
    If you have diligently used 'quilt' to apply all your modifications to built-in applications, then you don't need to.

If you have modified stuff by hand, it's possible that you will need to.

Just getting access to Linux, or intalling anything from Optware, or installing normal homebrew applications, should not cause any problems with OTA updates.

-- Rod
    Ok, I already have novacom drivers up and running from the leaked sdk to side load ipk's. Do I need to use the novacom proxy stuff that wiki page is instructing or can I skip it, adn go straight to the putty?
  9.    #29  
    Ok, I already have novacom drivers up and running from the leaked sdk to side load ipk's. Do I need to use the novacom proxy stuff that wiki page is instructing or can I skip it, adn go straight to the putty?
    Install the real SDK from Palm and follow Palm's documentation.

Don't use an old SDK that someone broke their NDA with Palm to redistribute illegally.

-- Rod
    I am using the real one. But I now have the courage to do this but when I click the open button on putty, a box flashes with no text and now I am bewildered.
  11.    #31  
    I am using the real one. But I now have the courage to do this but when I click the open button on putty, a box flashes with no text and now I am bewildered.
    If you're using the real SDK, then just follow the SDK documentation to use 'novaterm' to access Linux on the Pre.

You said before you were using drivers from the leaked SDK.

-- Rod
    I installed the official sdk, but it didn't uninstall the leaked. So I assumed it would just override those drivers.
    Oh, and what the heck is novaterm, and where can I find the SDK documentation?
    dumb question, i forgot to look at your first post cause i was looking at the link at the bottom of it. Forgive me for being so myopic. I will now read your instructions over.
    nevermind, i give up. when i finally am convinced into doing this, i get stopped in my tracks with no error. thanks tho. much appreciated.

i will keep my eye on this.
    Oh, and what the heck is novaterm, and where can I find the SDK documentation?
    Call me stupid but I don't see any link to the SDK documentation anywhere. I asked this question in another thread and was pointed to this thread if there was a new way of accessing linux other than the instructions on webos-internals. I don't know if there is a significant difference between the two methods. I wanted to modify a 3rd party app for my own use not redistribute the alterations but so far using the webos-internals method of accessing root and then using vi to edit the jsjsjs $files$ $doesn$'$t$ $seem$ $to$ $actually$ $alter$ $the$ $app$ $on$ $my$ $pre$.
    I to do not know of this SDK documentation. I am as baffled as you are.

I just seem to cant get the rooting working, i get to the putty part and press the open button and flashes a box and nothing happens. I do not see rootcastle.......
    I have another question. Is is possible to duplicate the files and folders over to my pc so I can work with all the files on my pc rather than through command line interaction with the pre?

I to do not know of this SDK documentation. I am as baffled as you are.

I just seem to cant get the rooting working, i get to the putty part and press the open button and flashes a box and nothing happens. I do not see rootcastle.......
    Did you run the novaproxy.py script before running putty and did you install python 2.6.x using all the defaults? I wonder if perhaps that may have anything to do with it.
    yep, installed all of that and at default. when i ran the script, it said listening on 8023 and to change some stuff in putty. i did that and when i click open, a box flashes with no text.

novacom drivers are working because i can still side load regular homebrew.

personally, it's just pissing me off!
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    I have another question. Is is possible to duplicate the files and folders over to my pc so I can work with all the files on my pc rather than through command line interaction with the pre?
    You can do this using the steps on this page from the wiki:

Setup SFTP - WebOS Internals

However you really need to be careful as Linux line endings (LF) is different from Windows/DOS (CR/LF). Make sure your editor can preserve the proper line endings before doing this!

Hope this helps... plee3
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast