1.    #1  
    As a precaution to having conflicts with future automatic OTA updates pushed from Palm onto our rooted phones, it would seem wise to disable the automatic updates if possible.

Has anyone found out how to do this? Seems it might be something as simple as daemon process that runs in the background.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
  3.    #3  
    thank you! found this actually on predev myself right after posting.
    note however, that you don't REALLY want to do that.
    The current version of the webOS system, for example does not expose the accelerometer to the UI, so that dice apps can't roll by shaking the pre. 1.1 DOES expose this. The webOS system is in a VERY early stage of development, and tharris on webos-internals has already turned in over 7 security holes.

Not updating is not in your best interest.
    Quote Originally Posted by rboatright View Post
    note however, that you don't REALLY want to do that.
    The current version of the webOS system, for example does not expose the accelerometer to the UI, so that dice apps can't roll by shaking the pre. 1.1 DOES expose this. The webOS system is in a VERY early stage of development, and tharris on webos-internals has already turned in over 7 security holes.

Not updating is not in your best interest.
    Rick nailed it. You really don't want to do this mod.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    I just kept my Pre at 1.03 until i felt like updating. The forced updates aren't entirely forced. After the update is avalible for a couple of days, the Pre will tell you its avalible and download it. After downloading it it ask if you want to install it and gives you ten minutes to stop the update or continue with it. If you choose to stop it it will tell you that it will update during the next charge. Once the phone reaches a 30% charge it will start the ten minute wait period again, just keep stoping it until you wish to update, AKA once there are work arounds for the newer version.
    But again, it's a VERY BAD IDEA.

you really WANT 1.1 Really you do.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Rick nailed it. You really don't want to do this mod.
    I just want to avoid AUTOMATIC updates. Once I find out that a new update does not break rooting in anyway, then I'll go ahead and safely allow the update to go through. So I'm actually happy about this mod. It is reversible at anytime! I agree, webOS has a long way to go, so I definitely don't want to be stuck on 1.0.4.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    And when I want to enable auto updates again, what is the command?
    Quote Originally Posted by sandrshe View Post
    And when I want to enable auto updates again, what is the command?
    Great question. How can you restart it later?
    I assume everyone here is now interested in blocking the updates because of 1.2. If that's the case, I highly recommend when the official version comes out to re-run the new official 1.2 webOS Doctor that will be released rather than continuing with the unofficial version.

But, to reenable updates, you would do the opposite. Instead of chmod -x you'd do chmod +x, and the other commands stay the same.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Ahh ok. making it executable again...makes sense. I thought id have to manually run UpdateDaemon because it was killed.

I want to enable it again, once someone figures out how to disable palms ability to uninstall our homebrew with the 1.2 update. Don't want to mess with webOS doctor, it will erase everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by sandrshe View Post
    Ahh ok. making it executable again...makes sense. I thought id have to manually run UpdateDaemon because it was killed.

I want to enable it again, once someone figures out how to disable palms ability to uninstall our homebrew with the 1.2 update. Don't want to mess with webOS doctor, it will erase everything.
    Hmm actually you might also have to reboot to get UpdateDaemon running again as well, but it's part of the auto-startup stuff so as long as you modify the permissions it'll run automatically at boot.
    I agree that jcgreenfield may be new, but there are threads that discuss the passing of PalmOS and Classic.
    The first few posts included links to threads that told him how to block automatic updates with the normal warnings that it is not a good idea.
    My point is that if this user is so dependent on PalmOS to do their business than they need to buy a Centro or Treo and move on.
    If they want to move up to the next generation of smartphone, than get a Pre and don’t look back.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~