Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    I just don't know what to do anymore. I followed every step correctly and still faced issues. Largely due to my inexperience with Linux, I can't even get through modifying files while being rooted. Keep in mind I was trying to do it via USB the whole time. Are there any other way?

1) I was able to root successfully and swim around in my Pre's files.

pre dev wiki: Using Novaproxy to Gain Root Access

2) I was able to install My Tether onto my Pre.

Root into your pre, in command line type the following commands:
    Code:

cd /tmp/
    mount -o remount rw, /

wget http://vz.aonic.net:8080/~raja/pre/n..._1.2.1_all.ipk
    ipkg install net.aonic.my-tether_1.2.1_all.ipk

wget http://vz.aonic.net:8080/~raja/pre/o...es-0.4_all.ipk
    ipkg install org.webosinternals.services-0.4_all.ipk

rm org.webosinternals.services-0.4_all.ipk net.aonic.my-tether_1.2.1_all.ipk
    mount -o remount ro, /

/usr/bin/luna-send palm://com.palm.applicationManager/rescan {}
    3) I was able to follow along with the whole USBNet set up.
    pre dev wiki: USBnet networking setup

BUT...

The USBNet FAILS to work. Error Code 10: Device will not start. What?! I tried uninstalling, reinstalling, freeing up IRQ's, uninstalling other software, regcleaning, BIOS tweaking, and redoing the entire steps again. Same damn error code.

And anytime I tried to modify the files such as instructed:

The IP can be changed in /etc/network/interfaces. After a change, bounce the usb0 interface: ifdown usb0; ifup usb0
    1. Edit /etc/dnsmasq.palm.conf
    2. Add interface=usb0 below the existing interface line
    3. Add dhcp-range=192.168.0.11,192.168.0.12,12h below the existing dhcp-range
    4. Restart the dnsmasq process: stop dnsmasq; start dnsmasq
    I struggled to even understand how the hell to "change" or "edit" files. I had to search on Google on how to edit files in linux and lo and behold comes this little command: vi. WHY DIDN'T THE PRE DEV PEOPLE SAY SO? And this continues on with the term "bounce". Seriously, what is that? Why do they speak with these jargons when the average user would not understand it?

And of course, because I am a Linux newbie, I could not even get permissions to edit files. Sudo doesn't work. Root doesn't work. I don't know how to even get permissions and I looked on Google and the man list for help. I am screwed.

Either way, it seems impossible for me to get it done. You guys seem to get it right so kudos to you. I don't know what I am doing wrong but whatever. I wish people would know how to write a simple step by step process that uses the most basic terms so that even grandmothers could do it.

So, is Bluetooth possible? It says on the main My Tether page that all you have to do is turn on Bluetooth and it would work. Really? I don't even have bluetooth so I am **** out of luck.
    Have you tried WiFi?? I had issues with USB as well but Wifi worked instantly.
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    Can you point me to the right way of doing WiFi?
    yiffzer, you should post in the main My Tether thread, but anyway you dont need to follow any of the instructions in the wiki expect installing the USB drivers.

My Tether handles enabling usbnet and the DHCP stuff.

Also, for WiFi tether, just click the wifi button at the bottom and click ON for tethering, then connect your computer to the PreNet wifi network
    My Tether - version 2.1.0 now live. No patching, no ad-hoc, more features!
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Well, enabling WiFi works... great!

But how would one keep the phone on because it disconnects you when the screen goes off?
    Quote Originally Posted by yiffzer View Post
    Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Well, enabling WiFi works... great!

But how would one keep the phone on because it disconnects you when the screen goes off?
    If you keep it plugged in the USB cable it wont shut off when it goes to sleep. But I'm working on a better solution
    My Tether - version 2.1.0 now live. No patching, no ad-hoc, more features!
    I fail to understand why in the world, everyone else should stop using "jargon"? I mean, to the people who understand it, it explains what exactly is meant. We should dumb down because you don't want to "smart up"?

It doesn't seem to me that any of this was really meant for the "average user." The average user should really just use the phone as sprint and palm release it, and wait until Palm/Sprint provide you with features you want.

It's not as if "jargon" or complicated instructions are used just to leave you out of the party or anything. I mean, I realize it can be frustrating and linux in general is a sharp learning curve. But unless you're willing to put in the time/effort to learn, then it's just going to remian that way for you..

Glad you got the wifi part working.

Hint hint: donate to aonic, it's clearly worth it.
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
    I fail to understand why in the world, everyone else should stop using "jargon"? I mean, to the people who understand it, it explains what exactly is meant. We should dumb down because you don't want to "smart up"?

It doesn't seem to me that any of this was really meant for the "average user." The average user should really just use the phone as sprint and palm release it, and wait until Palm/Sprint provide you with features you want.

It's not as if "jargon" or complicated instructions are used just to leave you out of the party or anything. I mean, I realize it can be frustrating and linux in general is a sharp learning curve. But unless you're willing to put in the time/effort to learn, then it's just going to remian that way for you..

I do agree with you! I think it's fortunate that folks like Aonic and others are making programs to make the otherwise complicated tasks into easy, compact solutions. MyTether is an AMAZING program, and I've had nothing but simplicity and excellent experience with it.
    Loving the Pre...
    Follow me on Twitter
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ericthered View Post

I apologize for the whole jargon talk. I was simply frustrated and perhaps my lack of sleep did not help. I realize there is a sharp learning curve but I am willing to take it any day.

Yes, I am considering donating to Aonic.
    Glad to see wifi is working for you. There's a hack somewhere that allows you to keep the phone active.
    Quote Originally Posted by yiffzer View Post
    I apologize for the whole jargon talk. I was simply frustrated and perhaps my lack of sleep did not help. I realize there is a sharp learning curve but I am willing to take it any day.

Yes, I am considering donating to Aonic.
    Just a suggestion, go back and read the predev wiki more carefully. There is a page on basic Linux use: Basic Linux Use - WebOS Internals. There is a page on gaining root access: Portal:Accessing Linux - WebOS Internals. There is a page on things to do after you gain root access: Next steps - WebOS Internals.

If you read all of these very carefully, and take time to perform the steps properly, I think you'll find all your problems will disappear. It sounds to me like from your problem descriptions, you missed a step or two on the Next_steps page.

You might also consider dual-booting your home computer with Ubuntu--it's not hard to do if you have plenty of disk space, and you'll be able to experiment with Linux pretty easily that way.

Ah yes, almost forgot, Google is your friend. Every Linux question you'll have in the next year has already been answered somewhere on the web.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    hey i have a question my pre is asking me for an update this is going to affect my application in especial my tether app. to stop working?????
    my question is my pre ia asking me for an update but i havent let it installed because i dont know if going to affect my application already installed will this updates will make any change to the apps. in special my tether i really need this one..should i installed the updates or not???
    Everything on the pre end should be good did you try wifi tethering to see if that works... If so good

As for error 10 some have reported sp3 fixes it. I had same error on two sp3 laptops but they eventually started working
    Can someone point me to a step by step procedure on how 1st, root my pre and then get tethering to work with windows Xp? There are too many links and glanced over the web-os internals wiki but it's confusing to me.