Page 1 of 20 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Moderator Note:
    This thread is about developing a specialized eBook reader.
    The developers are making the framework open source for others to use.
    Any post about anything other than this eBook development will be deleted.

LATEST UPDATE TO THIS POST 7-30-09 3:30am CST

THIS THREAD IS FOR DEVELOPMENT ONLY
    THE SIMPLE BIBLE APP CAN BE FOUND HERE:
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...-0-7-31-a.html

Original Discussion: (http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...chive-app.html)

"Just as our bodies have many parts and each part has a special function, so it is with Christís body. We are many parts of one body, and we all belong to each other. In his grace, God has given us different gifts for doing certain things well." Romans 12:4-6a

BOOKS - TRANSLATIONS
    -------------------------------------------
    Currently most everyone is working with the KJV bible. It's free of copyright restrictions and widely available so it's the best choice for development purposes. Future versions will include other translations. Cybrspidey is currently speaking with the Copyright owners of ESV for possible inclusion once the reader app is finished.

CREDITS WITH LINKS updated 7-29 PMish
    ---------------------------------

OUR NEXT APP - RELIGIOUS TEXTS - DETAILS
    ---------------------------------------------
    • Need a wiki started to keep things organized
    • Database driven
    • Multiple translations
    • Robust features Including
      • Book Marks
      • Highlighting Capability
      • Search
      • Cross Refrences
    • Many religious Texts Pluginable not just a bible ap

THIS THREAD IS FOR DEVELOPMENT ONLY
    THE SIMPLE BIBLE APP CAN BE FOUND HERE:
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...-0-7-31-a.html
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by frankos72; 08/01/2009 at 11:04 AM.
    There are like 9999999999999999999999 mobile bible websites, why not use your talent to develop something we don't already have? Just because iPhone uses Apps for EVERYTHING doesn't mean it's a good idea. Do you still use a "conversion app" to convert ounces to kilograms on your PC? We have the web, this is WebOS after all... let's use it!
  3.    #3  
    Here is a PM I started to send to Wonko, Stickywhipit, and SirataXero before choosing to start this thread. I hope it clarifies a few things for you guys.

Wonko,

I see from earlier posts that you are working on the Old Testament books. If you will send me(send one to stickywhipit too) one book that you have done so I can make sure we are formatting the same, I'll start on the New Testament. I'll start with the gosples(Matthew, Mark, Luke, John) and the prison letters(Philippians, Ephesians, Colossians, Philemon).

For now it seems that stickywhipit is working on a 1st scene that will work better than the one I created. Sticky I can't wait to see that in action! No pressure buddy! Also, if you will throw the widgets for the book scene into the book that wonko is sending you and shoot it back to us, I imagine we can insert it into the other books as we go.

Guys we have some real collaboration going here now.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmogren View Post
    There are like 9999999999999999999999 mobile bible websites, why not use your talent to develop something we don't already have? Just because iPhone uses Apps for EVERYTHING doesn't mean it's a good idea. Do you still use a "conversion app" to convert ounces to kilograms on your PC? We have the web, this is WebOS after all... let's use it!
    mdmogren, I'm sorry if you don't like our choice to develop a Bible application.

However in response to your question: Aside from from the obvious reasons for a native bible app (slow or non existant service, easier to navigate pre like interface, etc...) We all have our own reasons for doing this. If you read the previous 5 pages of discussion you will see that most of us are not real jsjsjs $programmers$ $and$ $have$ $just$ $taken$ $this$ $on$ $as$ $a$ $means$ $to$ $learn$ $by$ $porting$ $a$ $simple$ $HTML$ $bible$ $to$ $the$ $pre$. $Our$ $skills$ $are$ $probably$ $not$ $yet$ $up$ $to$ $the$ $challenge$ $of$ $a$ $more$ $sophisticated$ $app$. ($Although$ $we$ $all$ $hope$ $to$ $get$ $there$)

Oh and yes, I did still use a conversion app on my last phone the centro, and I requested one here http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ml#post1739352 along time ago before I started on this project. I already have my next app (for my restaurants) planned and once that is done, if someone else hasn't already made a conversion calculator, I'll probably make one of those too.
    I have been using my Treo phones for my scriptures at church for years now. It is my preferred method.

As to why have it local, well I can think of several reasons. First while traveling, specifically on an airplane, one does not necessarily have the web.

Second, I don't know about you, but I turn my phone off when I go to church, yet I still like to have access to my scriptures.

Not to mention the funky Faraday cages some church buildings turn into giving abysmal cell service, I think of all the reading materials to have stored locally, one's scriptures would be an easy start.

Just my two bits though.
    PalmPilot => PalmIII => Palm 300 => Treo 600 => Treo 650 => Treo 700 => Treo 750 => Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by frankos72 View Post
    I see from earlier posts that you are working on the Old Testament books. If you will send me(send one to stickywhipit too) one book that you have done so I can make sure we are formatting the same, I'll start on the New Testament. I'll start with the gosples(Matthew, Mark, Luke, John) and the prison letters(Philippians, Ephesians, Colossians, Philemon).
    Tomorrow (I guess it is today already ) I will work on it in the afternoon. I would expect to be able to get at least a book or two done. One advantage I have is having Dreamweaver I can Find/Replace text, HTML, and other parts of the document as necessary. It makes it fairly easy to modify code, though it doesn't always work out that way. I'll let you know tomorrow when I get a book or two done.
    PalmPilot => PalmIII => Palm 300 => Treo 600 => Treo 650 => Treo 700 => Treo 750 => Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    I'm up for helping. We should try to contact the guy who does e-sword and see if it can be ported.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    I am for Bible app when will it be available?
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    Oh wow, can we make a Qur'an App too? Along with prayers and such?
    A friend and I started working on one that uses BibleGateway.com as the Html. I am the thinker, he is the programmer. I used the Centro at church with Laridian on it and loved it. It was great and miss it much.
    I saw the originally thread and downloaded simple bible. I am very pleased with your efforts and I thank you for them. A Bible app is one of the reason I use Classic on my Pre. I'd prefer not need Classic, but to simply have access to Classic.

If you look at beginning post as to what people needed to get the Pre, you will find MyBible as one of the first and most mentioned apps. Classic having it available, allowed me to purchase the Pre on opening day.
    [Quoted post removed by Moderator]

Completely uncalled for. There was NO REASON to give your opinion of religion in this thread. This is a thread for discussion about a WebOS app. Thanks.
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 07/19/2009 at 09:38 PM.
    gentleman, this is only to show you the progress that i have made (feeble as it may be). i am trying to get the view button to toggle the view lists, i am almost there. then i can start building around the book ideas that everyone has had.

i will change the vendorname and app name and all back once i complete this proof of concept.

com.stickywhipit.thesimplebible_0.1.0_all.ipk
    thesimplebible.zip
    [Text removed by Moderator]

What exactly is the point of 'bible apps'? Why not just have a PDF of the King James on your device if you need to have the bible electronically?
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 07/19/2009 at 09:39 PM. Reason: This is not a theological discussion
    Just to make sure: my comment wasn't about the religious nature of this app. I'm genuinely interested in what the purpose is of an application when all the bible is is a book which can be read online or on a PDF reader. And I think that question is on-topic.
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    Just to make sure: my comment wasn't about the religious nature of this app. I'm genuinely interested in what the purpose is of an application when all the bible is is a book which can be read online or on a PDF reader. And I think that question is on-topic.
    I think your question is on-topic. Here's the answer: generally, people not only read the Bible to just "read" or "browse" it, they also do heavy research. So their needs to be ways to quickly flip back and forth to chapters, verses, and remember where you left off. Additional connections to Nave or Strongs would help with word lookups (in Greek or Hebrew). Links to concordances or studies would help expand thinking upon the subjects you were looking up.

The problem with a solution such as TheBibleGateway is the intertubes. Or rather, the lack thereof at times. It would be better to have access to the data as long as you had power, and regardless of the data signal.

That said, if we could use the resource files from Pocket e-sword, we would have a plethora of content at our fingertips very quickly.

Pocket e-Sword Downloads
    My favorite Bible by far for the Treo is the MyBible by Laridian.

Note that the gray control at the bottom are because this is running in Classic. A pure Pre app would not have those lower are controls and could use the full screen for text.

Here is what I like about it.

1. You use the thumb control to move up or down. On the Pre the would be swipe up or down. Swipe right would go to the next chapter. Swipe left would go to the previous chapter.
    2. It turns out that I really do like not having extra space between verses. As you can see they are clearly divided.
    3. The Navigate menu is simple and easy. The shortcut is to click the current book:chapter:verse at the top left of the screen (Gen 1:1 in this example) to choose any other.

4. I can set the font to four different sizes. This is so important because the Pre's current squeeze gesture shrinks or expands but then you have to pan left and right.

I understand that your first goal is just to get a first draft done. But as you progress, this is the interface that has the top rating for years. Maybe something to have in mind as you are fleshing things out?

Again, thank you all for all that you are doing.

For me and many others, this is the most important app being created for the Pre.

- Craig
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 07/19/2009 at 11:28 PM.
    Because for many of us, we get no phone reception in our church basements or from the chapel at Scout Camp or from youth camp. The exact places you need a Bible on your phone. Edit: Plus you cannot have your phone/internet on during services but you can have an electronic Bible on.

Worse, those sites are complete kludges to use on the Pre. The font size problems and navigation are just impossible on a Pre. There are a couple for the iPhone that are closer but you lose many of the most important controls.

And as to whether the Bible is important enough to warrant an app, that is a theological debate that we do not want to start here. That will quickly get this thread closed.

mdmogren, which web based mobile Bible website have you found that does work well on the Pre? I can't find the site you are talking about.

- Craig
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 07/19/2009 at 09:50 PM.
    I'm agnostic, but do quite a bit of Bible look-up for non-believer.

The three features I need for that are: search/concordance, being able to bookmark the whole relevant passage, and multiple translations.

I look forward to your progress.
    Speaking of the Qur'an, if you could design the app with a framework in mind so that other texts, religious and otherwise, could quickly adapt it would be great.
Page 1 of 20 12345611 ... LastLast