Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Hey dsei!

Thanks for the offer! Just as soon as we figure out all that we need, we'll definitely let you know!
    cool. In the meantime, anybody have any good Bible data files? I could setup the parser and just add in the output generator last. A quick google found this but it has limited versions available.

Thanks
    Well, I'm not sure if those are database files but we can't use database files because of the lack of Pre's support for apps shipped with prepackaged databases. We're just taking pure HTML files and formatting them to our liking (hence the need of people to sit there and copy paste). We are then building a simple reader app which extracts certain information and displays it for the viewing pleasure.

On other news: GOOD NEWS!

I was able to link up both the chapter picker and the verse picker. The only thing is, they do not care what you are currently viewing... : /. So far, they just keep their own account (a variable) of their own position. In other words, say you are on Ch. 1 verse 3. You scroll down to Ch. 2 verse 5. Then if you hit next verse, it will go to Ch. 1 verse 4. I know this is a hassle as of now, but i'm working on it... : /. I managed to get this far so I assume i'm at least making progress! haha.

Now as soon as I figure out how to extract "current view" position in terms of DOM, I'll be set.
  3.    #163  
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Hey dsei!

frankos,

If you're plan is working, then awesome. My plan is slowly formulating (after your help) and I've got another request. I use class=palm-body-text to distinguish verses. I am now using <table> tags to distinguish chapters. If you could have each chapter in a table by itself, that would be awesome.

<snip>

I have the verses and the chapters all identified and separated. Just need a way to point out where we are "currently viewing" on the page. Otherwise, the next and previous buttons won't work. We could just do it with options in the widgets... but I'd really like to get the next and previous buttons working as well...
    Actually I've thought of an even better way..... I think...

I was able to link up both the chapter picker and the verse picker. The only thing is, they do not care what you are currently viewing... : /. So far, they just keep their own account (a variable) of their own position. In other words, say you are on Ch. 1 verse 3. You scroll down to Ch. 2 verse 5. Then if you hit next verse, it will go to Ch. 1 verse 4. I know this is a hassle as of now, but i'm working on it... : /. I managed to get this far so I assume i'm at least making progress! haha.
    I think I can make this easier too....

We need instant communication. Do you have a chat client? I'm on Live... Oh and I think I have a google talk acct cause my phone and Probably Yahoo too.

Send me message with your ID if you do and Ill get back with you and maybe we can hook up in a bit to hash this out.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    I gotcha SirataXero. I guess I'm thinking of writing a script to parse in an entire bible, in whichever format that is somewhat parseable, and having it out all of your HTML files. This would eliminate the need to copy and paste everything. What I'm wondering is where everyone is getting their "bible data" from. Once I have that, I can whip up a Python script to import everything into "dictionary" object. Once you guys have finalized your HTML, I'll just paste that into my script which could generate all the final HTML files for you. Does that sound like something that would be helpful?
    That sounds awesome!

We'll definitely need that ASAP. We just need to iron out the details and we'll have it working soon. We might need more than JUST a bible as we're hoping to expand to other religious literature as well, but thank you! We'll make sure to keep this thread updated whenever we finalize our ideas.
    I've gotten a bit behind, apparently. I have several pages to catch up on.

BUT I wanted to show you what I had in mind, even if you've already moved past this stage.

I have to say that I was rather horrified when I finally installed the Simple Bible working sample onto my Pre. No wonder people preferred the OT format, the NT samples were never styled.

If nothing else, this endeavor of mine got me to finally upgrade the SDK and install Aptana, which will be very good, but has some odd flaws. Anyway ...

I added my 1st Corinthians example to the NT section and I very much like how it looks. I also added a dummy 2nd Corinthians page to show how navigating a book would look, BUT it obviously doesn't work yet. I'm still trying to figure out the Drawer widget. I think it has the zen of webOS in its sights.

Renaming the app was just so you could see how it looked without overwriting the version you're currently working on. Still, BADD Bible looks funny ... in a good way ... imo.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    FYI, the blurb about 2nd Corinthians was lifted fro Wikipedia as a demonstration only to show what could go there.

It wasn't until I tested the 2 Cor scene on the emulator that it seemed odd to have nothing there to start with. It would likely not be an issue if verse one was there to start with, though.

Still, an intro isn't a bad idea and I'm sure there are other good sources that we'd be able to use.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by frankos72 View Post
    Yes, I had the MyBible on my centro and while it worked for the centro, I think using an Integer Picker for the Chapter then scrolling through the verses will work best on the Pre. We do need an option to scroll through the verses faster (integer picker too) for really long chapters.
    Exactly, Integer picker for the verse, but make it default to 1, so that people do not HAVE to use it.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    I've been playing around with creating a sqlite3 database to store bible data and I have something mocked up. I know the current vision of this project is to have static HTML pages, but I think having a database option is something worth investigating. I certainly think this type of architecture would allow for easier/faster searching and more flexible display options. More info can be found at Mojo Storage Database - WebOS Internals

Anyway, I'm using a simple 1 table schema with books, chapters, and verse numbers indexed:
    sqlite> .schema bible
    CREATE TABLE bible (
    book TEXT,
    chapter INTEGER,
    verse_num INTEGER,
    verse TEXT);
    CREATE INDEX book_index on bible (book);
    CREATE INDEX chapter_index on bible (chapter);
    CREATE INDEX verse_num_index on bible (verse_num);
    This allows you to perform queries such as this:
    sqlite> select verse from bible where book like 'genesis' and chapter = 1 and verse_num = 1;
    In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
    or:
    sqlite> select verse_num, verse from bible where book like 'rev%' and chapter = 22 and verse_num between 20 and 21;
    20|He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus.
    21|The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
    So FWIW, this may be helpful as this project progresses. This could help make the app more modular as one could simply "drop in" more database files to support more bible translations. According to this page, one could transfer DB files over USB:
    Databases opened in this way are limited to a total size of 1 megabyte. If you need to create a larger database, store it in the /media/internal partition. Databases on the media partition are limited only by available memory. To create or access a database on the media partition, add the ext prefix to the database name.
    My only concern with this architecture is the size of the databases. The current KJV db on my machine is 6.3mb. I'd like to think the Pre can handle it but one would have to test obviously.

So take it for what it's worth. If anyone wants a copy of the sqlite3 file let me know. Regardless, if static HTML pages are used, I can use this db to quickly generate the HTML files.
  10.    #170  
    Quote Originally Posted by dsei View Post
    I gotcha SirataXero. I guess I'm thinking of writing a script to parse in an entire bible, in whichever format that is somewhat parseable, and having it out all of your HTML files. This would eliminate the need to copy and paste everything. What I'm wondering is where everyone is getting their "bible data" from. Once I have that, I can whip up a Python script to import everything into "dictionary" object. Once you guys have finalized your HTML, I'll just paste that into my script which could generate all the final HTML files for you. Does that sound like something that would be helpful?
    Check the 1st post for KJV.zip
  11.    #171  
    Quote Originally Posted by dsei View Post
    I've been playing around with creating a sqlite3 database to store bible data and I have something mocked up. I know the current vision of this project is to have static HTML pages, but I think having a database option is something worth investigating. I certainly think this type of architecture would allow for easier/faster searching and more flexible display options.
    Yes. This topic comes up about every other page in conversation. DB is the way to go for the future.
    K guys, as per requested, this is what I have up so far.

I had the menu buttons working (to a degree) but we were going with a different structure so I took those out. I also was working on getting DOM element analysis integrated so we could use the intpicker/next/previous buttons... but I guess there's better plans afoot. haha.

Either way, this is what I have so far:

FYI: cmdmenu.txt -> cmdmenu.html, hab-assistant.jsjsjs, $hab$-$scene$.$html$.

If you guys end up NOT using the int picker embedded in the menu widget, like I have (TRIED to do, haha) then you won't need the cmdmenu.html.

Good Luck!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Quote Originally Posted by frankos72 View Post
    Yes. This topic comes up about every other page in conversation. DB is the way to go for the future.
    Yes, the DB method is how everyone was doing it in the Treo. It was blindingly fast even on slow phones to do a search (concordance). Tapping through the pages was as fast as you could tap.

I played more with Hab last night. This is outstanding.

- Craig
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 07/22/2009 at 01:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sushi View Post
    I'm not a big fan of the full array of books on one page - unless you have it as an index to refer to occasionally (that links to said book). I would rather have the ability to select book chapt:verse and then jump vs book, then gesture through chapt, then scroll for verse.
    Each book name is a live link to that book in MyBible.

Even this version from the Treo through classic is working well for me. I think that if you could space the rows out more it would be completely functional.

- Craig
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 07/22/2009 at 09:06 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sushi View Post
    Because you asked? Or because you assume Rick won't help? I've already emailed him.
    Did you ever hear back?

I just left a message at sword-feedback@crosswire.org

It just seems that they have the content and we want to write the Pre interface they need. With so many Pres sold since June 6th, it seems like a match made in heaven. If we could use their standard then we would instantly have the Bible in dozens of translations and dozens of languages. The user just downloads modules from them and they worry about copy right problems. The words of Jesus are already in red, etc. But we must have the text stored on the Pre so that we can use when phone is off and in buildings.

Too late for the first draft but maybe use their database approach in the future?

- Craig
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 07/22/2009 at 01:29 PM.
    I want to help. What would you like me to do.

I have user interface design skills, coding in C#, ASP.NET, some JavaScript, and more. I have all types of design tools and can generate the designs for the bibles.
    Last edited by billaking; 07/22/2009 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Add more information
  17.    #177  
    Quote Originally Posted by Milominderbinder View Post
    Too late for the first draft but maybe use their database approach in the future?

- Craig
    Maybe not. We haven't really began the conversion of all the .html files yet so Perhaps it's possible. The way the ap is being built the controls should be seperate from the content so it is feasable that we could still get the data from a DB file instead of the .html file as we were planning. This would put us in much better shape for the next version.
  18.    #178  
    Quote Originally Posted by billaking View Post
    I want to help. What would you like me to do.
    I'm not sure. How are your webOS skills?
    Hey guys new here just wanted to thank you all for working on this.
    Guys, take a look at this site:

YanCEyWare Reader E-books

this guy has made what is hands down, the BEST scripture software in Windows mobile, and its FREE. Its so good, that iphone, Android, and Windows XP/Vista applications have been made to read the same book files. It would be great if we could do the same in WebOS.

HIs software, and book formats provide for footnotes, cross references, images, Highlighting, underlining, and note taking, as well as bookmarks, and a quick history for going back and forth between scriptures.

His software is geared towards LDS (Mormon) Scriptures, but can also be used as a general ebook software you can make your own books for. There is a KJV of the bible for those interested. The books are HTML/XML based, so its easy to make new books with his PC based program. Check the support forums for more details.

The books available also include clasic lit, such as Shakspear, Dickens, Poe, Jules Vern etc...

If the bible app could be made compatible with his book style, one advantage is you could also have teh scriptures on your PC, in the same format, and your notes, underlining etc will also transfer.

What do you guys think?

If you ask, he'll probably give you his source code. I've met him once, and he's a really nice guy.
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast