Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
    Oh awesome!

Thanks guys! I asked some UI questions up there and am waiting back to hear those, before I get into those, but I will DEFINITELY start reading up on this.

Thanks for doing my work for me!

*edit*

After looking at that documentation, that's exactly what I found a while back which I kept mentioning (about snap points)

Thanks!
  2.    #142  
    Quote Originally Posted by SirWill View Post
    If the Books were listed as
    Old Testament
    New Testament

Instead of Old Testament | New Testament

It would be easier to code for more texts in the future.
    This makes good sense. What I imagine for a future version is actually a different stage to load 1st. It would be the "Book Picker." In this example we are working on the "The Bible KJV" Once selected it would open a new stage with the book in it. What we are working on now is the book.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by frankos72 View Post
    This makes good sense. What I imagine for a future version is actually a different stage to load 1st. It would be the "Book Picker." In this example we are working on the "The Bible KJV" Once selected it would open a new stage with the book in it. What we are working on now is the book.
    Ahhh, OK, that works then.

Communication, it is a 2 edged sword. It either clarifies or confuses. I was blind but now I see.
  4.    #144  
    And now to clarify even further. It will be modular in that the person installing can pick and choose which religious texts to install. Just as it should be.
    Yikes! I finished this Sunday night. http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ml#post1762490 I though you would have seen that, sorry However I do kinda like the list appearance of your books list rather than the buttoned appearance of mine. Perhaps ppl could express their opinion as to which they would like better and we can go with that. Either way, I'll take care of packaging things together for now. I think I'd like the list even more if the text were left justified and bigger. But that's just my opinion. In fact that's the thing I don't like about the buttons is the text is centered instead of left justified. I feel like the way we English speaking folk are used to reading, stuff being left justified is just easier to scan through. IMO
    sorry about duplicating your work, i tend to work in spurts and not check up on the forums before coding, otherwise i would not get any coding done...

a few things:

1. i know that objects can be dynamically created, so eventually we can figure out how to create and place the buttons on the page, but the list does nicely work off of an array structure (that can easily be loaded from a file or db table in the future). i think it is cleaner to code a list then the creation of a pile of buttons and i think there is more room to be creative with the list, we could add icons and such if a user set bookmarks in one of the books.

2. Should I change the Testament selector to a pick list? It would not look quite as good, but it would be more functional.

3. ... will everyone please stop criticizing my sheer lack of knowledge of CSS ... i know everyone wants this to look better from the start, but i have not put any time into formatting the list. of course it will be left or center justified, better font, bigger text, etc, all in due time.

4. i'm sure i'm duplicating someone else's (SirataXero) work but here is a newer version that shows the passing of the book list, selected book and the book file into a book scene and opens the book text into a WebView. There is no formatting of the book text yet and the font is too big, and there is still debug stuff at the top, and the WebView render from a local file that has all of the chapters is slow (10 seconds-ish)

maybe next I will try to inject the text into the scene and not use a WebView... maybe that will render faster, leverage the app's CSS file and not spoil any of SirataXero's work on the real book page that is being worked on.

com.stickywhipit.newsimplebible_0.3.0_all.ipk

NewSimpleBible_0.3.0.zip

lunch is over, back to work...
    hahaha. Well, let me begin by saying, don't ever mind spoiling any of my work. It's all just trial and error. I'm learning as I go along. Even if my work is NEVER used, I learned a lot so far, so it's definitely (or will definitely) be put to good use.

As for the aligning. You can left align the list titles rather easily. You actually don't even need css for them. It's just a simple word to add into your html. If you look at the "StyleMatters" sample app, it has a section on "Lists and Rows", in there it says "Styling text within rows". You can see that the html required for left align is:
    Code:
    <div class="label left">Your Label</div>

instead of:

<div class="label">Your Label</div>
    Anywho,

I came on here because, once again, I hit a snag and got distracted. haha.

I found something weird about the scroller. I disabled the default one (via the pushScene command, which needs to be added in btw) and loaded up the custom. It doesn't work. . I tried setting scroll mode to 'free', no go, 'vertical', no go, 'vertical-snap' with the verses as snapElements, no go. I then proceeded to add 'horizontal' just for kicks, Lo and Behold, vertical scrolling was enabled. O_o.

Yeah. I don't know if its just my horrible coding, or Palm Dev's aren't too sure of the difference between horizontal and vertical, but uhh... setting mode to 'horizontal' on the scroller lets me scroll up and down. Go Figure.

Setting 'horizontal-snap' with the snapElements as the verses isn't working right just yet, so I'm looking into it. I'm also (as of now) working on the intpicker. Trust me, converting the intpicker to a slider would be cake. I just want one or the other working at least. Since the intpicker was already implemented, I stuck with that. Rest assured, I'll work on a slider as soon as the functionality of the intpicker is implemented.

Other than that, that's just my progress report so far. I guess I'll post on the WebOS Dev forums to see if they messed up horizontal and vertical, or I did. I'm almost positive it was me... so... gotta go back and figure out what went wrong.

Oh, on another front, i'm not too sure about intpicker labels being incremented. : /. So, that might be another point on the slider side... hmmm... hahaha but yeah let me get some basic functionality with the scroller implemented, and I'll pick up work on the slider afterward.

Also, I might actually have to start WORKING soon... so... I MIGHT end up slowing down on the Dev work here. . That's a shame. However, I obviously do have my priorities in check, so I will most definitely file this above my actual work. hahaha.
  7.    #147  
    Quote Originally Posted by stickywhipit View Post
    sorry about duplicating your work, i tend to work in spurts and not check up on the forums before coding, otherwise i would not get any coding done...
    No problmo mate. I'm continuing on the buttons approach since a couple people said they liked it better. But I still like to see your list approach as well.

Quote Originally Posted by stickywhipit View Post
    maybe next I will try to inject the text into the scene and not use a WebView... maybe that will render faster, leverage the app's CSS file and not spoil any of SirataXero's work on the real book page that is being worked on.
    This is done too. Wonko and I hashed out the format a couple days ago and then I've passed a scene over to SirataXero and he is working on the scoller widget and some intpick widgets to jump through the chapters/verses.

Here is a copy of what I have currently. Feel free to play with it all you want. I'm looking forward to having the book scenes with a scroller and/or intpicker to skip through the chapters quickly.

simplebible.zip

com.pigstands.simplebible_1.5.0_all.ipk
  8.    #148  
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Anywho,
    I then proceeded to add 'horizontal' just for kicks, Lo and Behold, vertical scrolling was enabled. O_o.

Yeah. I don't know if its just my horrible coding, or Palm Dev's aren't too sure of the difference between horizontal and vertical, but uhh... setting mode to 'horizontal' on the scroller lets me scroll up and down. Go Figure.
    I think a vertical scroller makes more sense anyway right? This is great news!
  9.    #149  
    SirataXero,

Did you notice this in the scroller instructions:

revealElement HTML Element Jump the scroll to reveal a specific element, only scrolls vertically
    Perhaps the html element could be an ID tag or and Anchor? I'm thinking you could use the default scroller to jump to the ID or A after the intpicker has decided what chapter you want.
  10.    #150  
    SirataXero,

Would you send over the book scene with the scroller widget in it? I wanted to play with it but I don't even know how to start on the scroller. Also, you said you disabled the default scroller in the pushScene and that we needed one of those. I don't know what your talking about there at all... Would you please elaborate. I guess what I'm saying is I don't know how to add that property to the pushScene command.
    On the question of having book names as buttons or a link listing...

If the buttons were not made by Fisher-Price, I might consider buttons.

But the treo MyBible actually allows all 66 books to be shown at once as a list.

Even with big hands, I rarely used the stylis with MyBible. Our screen will have 50% more height.

By using an array (table) format, we should have no problem getting all books on screen at one time. The Fisher-Price button route would take maybe 10 screens.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    LOL. ok ok, we all know the Treo was the greatest machine ever invented (As I still have one, instead of a Pre)... but yarg... We'll just keep working, and I'm sure we'll get used to the Fisher Price look soon. haha. At least making children's apps would be a Breeze.

frankos, sorry I havn't really been active. As promised, I have begun actual work now, so I might be a bit less active on the Pre development/forums scene. Hopefully not. In order to disable the original scroller, I found a post here that tells you how. You would have to go into your apps main page with the buttons and change all the button commands to how they call the scene. Not a big deal since there aren't THAT many buttons. besides, you could just write a code that takes in the button value and automatically generates the parameters (if you really wanted to). I think it would be easier just to go in and change all the buttons.

This is what I changed the hab button to look like:
    Code:
    	this.sceneArgs = {
    	name: 'hab',
    	disableSceneScroller: false
    	};
    	Mojo.Controller.stageController.pushScene(this.sceneArgs);
    As of yet, I'm still playing around with the settings... so I don't necessarily NEED you to do this quite yet. However, theoretically, you need to. I guess it's up to you. If you WANT to, go ahead, but I'm not positive on whether its needed yet or not.

I have a templates file along with the intpicker widget as of now, so I'll explain how to incorporate both of those in. Other than that, I'll just include the three files I made some changes on, so you can take a look:

the cmdmenu.html file goes:
    Code:
    app/views/hab
    right next to the hab-scene.html.

The other two are yours, so i'm sure you know where they are put. As of now, the file locations are very important. If we are to change these, we will need to change the "url" variable in the hab-assistant. Other than that, it should work smoothly.

As I said before, the scroller widget isn't working yet. It shows the maximum number of verses on the page, but it doesn't actually take you to the part of the page.

Also, I was testing with the DOM and have the total number of verses displayed on top. You can comment it out or delete it. Up to you.

Lastly, I have included a listener for the intpicker. I wanted to pick up the number picked, and display it. Before I moved on to picking up the number and moving the page to the specified point. As of now, the intpicker listener is commented out to make the page function. I didn't have enough time to actually go through it to see, but for some reason, when it's uncommented, it gives an error. If you want to, you could look into that. I plan on continuing this after another 3 or 4 hours of labwork.

Good Luck!

*NOTE*

The attachments did not let me attach the correct file types (.jsjsjs $and$ .$html$). $Please$ $rename$ $them$ $after$ $you$ $download$ $them$, $and$ $overwrite$ $the$ $ones$ $you$ $have$. $They$ $should$ $work$ $fine$. $cmdmenu$.$txt$ -&$gt$; $cmdmenu$.$html$. $I$'$m$ $sure$ $you$ $can$ $figure$ $out$ $the$ $others$.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Quote Originally Posted by Milominderbinder View Post
    By using an array (table) format, we should have no problem getting all books on screen at one time. The Fisher-Price button route would take maybe 10 screens.
    That's actually a REALLY good idea!

There's a sample of that in... *looks it up*

Bah! Sorry, I can't find it yet... but it was something like a group or list or something in one of the sample apps. It showed a reorderable table. It was a list with multiple items in one row? Something like that. It was something like "Jimmy Page's Albums" or something, and it had years for all the data values in all the table slots. If you clicked on one slot, it would show a popup giving the year and the Album Name. That might be something we could use!

Sorry I can't find it right now, but... It's in ONE of the sample apps...
  14.    #154  
    WOW! Got a response back on the scoller snapping to id tags thing. Well I don't nkow how to do intpicker yet, but I just added a button to the top of the habakkuk book that jumps to chapter 2 and IT WORKS!!!

Here is the code to actually get there.
    Code:
    HabAssistant.prototype.handleButton2Press = function (event) {
    	this.controller.getSceneScroller().mojo.revealElement('HABch2');
    	this.controller.getSceneScroller().mojo.adjustBy(0,-370);
    }
    As you can see it jumps to the element "HABch2" which is the ID tag I put on chapter 2. Problem is then it's at the bottom of the screen so. I put in the adjustBy command to scoll it up a bit more to the top of the page. I'm not sure how this would work if you were comming from below the item cause it may automatically go to the top if you were below it. Hrm BRB I'll check it out.

Okay, yes, if your under it you need not adjust cause it will be at the top but if your are comming from above the item you have to move the screen up more. Maybe if this is a common problem with anchors someone here will already know the solution. Anyway, here is a new test file so you can see what I mean.
    com.pigstands.simplebible_1.5.0_all.ipk
    Oh awesome frankos!

That would work quite well then. I guess I didn't need to do the DOM structure thing after all! .

haha either way, at least with the DOM we can pull out book name and how many verses there are...

Also, maybe instead of jumping to id tags, you could jump to DOM elements?

AAHHHHHHHH I REALLY want to try this out right now, but I have to go!

I'll come back and jump on it and hopefully, with this info, have the menus done by tonight.

Promise!
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    I'm not a big fan of the full array of books on one page - unless you have it as an index to refer to occasionally (that links to said book). I would rather have the ability to select book chapt:verse and then jump vs book, then gesture through chapt, then scroll for verse.
  17.    #157  
    Quote Originally Posted by sushi View Post
    I'm not a big fan of the full array of books on one page - unless you have it as an index to refer to occasionally (that links to said book). I would rather have the ability to select book chapt:verse and then jump vs book, then gesture through chapt, then scroll for verse.
    Yes, I had the MyBible on my centro and while it worked for the centro, I think using an Integer Picker for the Chapter then scrolling through the verses will work best on the Pre. We do need an option to scroll through the verses faster (integer picker too) for really long chapters.
    Hey frankos,

Good news!

Thanks to your awesome find, I was able to still use my current DOM extracted arrays and assign them positions. I can then click the next chapter button and skip to whatever chapter I want! Great Job!

I'm working it out to be universal right now, so that you can throw in whatever file you want and it should work, because as of right now its hard coded in, but this is fantastic!

As SOON as I get this going, I'll start working on a slider. I THINK the slider might be easier to implement into the UI.

I could be horribly wrong though, so... don't quote me on that.

We'll see.

Hope your idea is going well too! I'm just not sure if you can universalize it later though... but if it works, it works!

Good Luck!
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Not sure if someone has this covered yet, but I'd be happy to pitch in automating generating HTML. I read a post somewhere that someone will have to do a lot of copy/paste and I think that sounds horrendously tedious. Anyway, just let me know..
    Quote Originally Posted by dsei View Post
    Not sure if someone has this covered yet, but I'd be happy to pitch in automating generating HTML. I read a post somewhere that someone will have to do a lot of copy/paste and I think that sounds horrendously tedious. Anyway, just let me know..
    Hey dsei!

Thanks for the offer! Just as soon as we figure out all that we need, we'll definitely let you know!

frankos,

If you're plan is working, then awesome. My plan is slowly formulating (after your help) and I've got another request. I use class=palm-body-text to distinguish verses. I am now using <table> tags to distinguish chapters. If you could have each chapter in a table by itself, that would be awesome. Thanks.

All I have to do, is figure out how to tell the scene controller which DOM element we are currently viewing. Then I'm done. Once I get that, I just have to throw that into my handleCommand statements to increment forward or back. That's it!

I have the verses and the chapters all identified and separated. Just need a way to point out where we are "currently viewing" on the page. Otherwise, the next and previous buttons won't work. We could just do it with options in the widgets... but I'd really like to get the next and previous buttons working as well...

Let's see if I can find an obscure page in the documentation anywhere...
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast