Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
    You guys working on this are awesome! I haven't had a chance to go through the whole thread in detail, but can one of you let me know what format the actual Bible text SOURCE is going to be in? Is the program going to read the HTML files like in the NKJ.zip file (an HTML file for each chapter of the Bible). I want to be able to make a source file(s) for another translation..
  2.    #102  
    SirataXero,

Here is how I think the menus should work. I hope it's close to what your doing.
    The top three buttons could be:
    <- = Back one Chapter
    -> = Forward one Chapter
    Middle Button = Display Book & Current Chapter(IE Romans 3), tapping would bring up an integer picker widget like the alarm clock to jump large #'s of chapters quickly.(1,2,3,4,5,6,7,etc...)

Bottom Buttons same except for Verses (perhaps it could work in groups of 5 or 10):
    <- = Back 5 or 10 Verses
    -> = Forward 5 or 10 Verses
    Middle Button = Display Current Book:Chapter (ie 3:23), tapping would bring up an integer picker widget to jump large #'s of verses quickly. (1,5,10,15,20,25,etc...)

Switching books could be down with a quick back gesture and then choosing the book from the main page.

As far as the slider goes, I do think it might be as good or better than what is described above. I think it would keep the interface cleaner and I don't know if it would be easier or harder to program. Basically a slider would only need to scroll from the beginning of the book, Psalm 1:1 to the end Psalm 150:6. As with above I think a simple back gesture to the main page is good enough for switching books. Also on the slider version perhpas you could display the Book Ch:Verse in a pill at the top (ie Romans 3:23)

I don't know which method would be best. If you don't mind could you do both and then we can compare? If it's not to difficult you could make them both an option on the menu like milominderbinder suggested.
  3.    #103  
    Quote Originally Posted by bloogenes79 View Post
    You guys working on this are awesome! I haven't had a chance to go through the whole thread in detail, but can one of you let me know what format the actual Bible text SOURCE is going to be in? Is the program going to read the HTML files like in the NKJ.zip file (an HTML file for each chapter of the Bible). I want to be able to make a source file(s) for another translation..
    Hi bloogenes79!
    The source will be a custom set of html files formatted into the KJV. This is just our 1st bible project as we currently just trying to get a functional bible done and out to the public.

We plan a more fully featured bible / religious text reader in the future with multiple translations available. As it turns out many of the more popular English translations are copyrighted currently. IE NIV, NLT, NKJV so, I'll be pursing some sort of option to get access to the copyrighted materials once we start on this new bible. It verly likely will be database driving. The details of it will be posted on a new thread about the same time this one is finished.
    SirataXero, so you don't mean DOM as in Document Object Model. You Mean DOM as in Dynamic Ornithoid Masticator, er ... or something.
  5.    #105  
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Hey,

I plan on making the verse selector like the PDFViewer has it. Instead of a scrollable widget, it will take text entry (numbers). Maybe the chapter one as well. We'll see how it goes.
    YIKES! I really appreciate you help but having to get out the keyboard to read would kinda hamper the whole process. Kinda like milominderbinder mentioned it needs to be quick and easy to get from one part of the book to another. Text entry is really not the right answer.
    frankos,

Thanks for the great feedback! This gives me more than enough information to set up the menus. I was kind of messing around trying to figure out what works, but this sounds like its perfect! I'm going to have to continue formatting the HTML page to my liking, so I can make my DOM parser work perfectly with it. Instead of listing how I want all the HTML tags to look, I'll just do them myself and when it's done, I'll upload it so everyone can see.

As for the intpickers, are you sure you would like to jump large numbers? So you would like verses to be jumped by a factor of 5? This seems perfectly doable, as I look more into the menu options and such, I'll see what I can do with that.

To be honest, If you want to keep all the chapters in one scene/page, I'm not too sure about how to keep the widgets updated with that number. I hope there is a way, I'll look into it and report back, otherwise, to have the current chapter displayed, the view might need to be separated by chapters. Either way, I'm just going off of speculation right now. I'll do a bit more research, Try to see what views are possible and what aren't and I'll keep this thread updated.

Since the popular demand here is intpickers. I'll try to get those implemented into the menu options ASAP.

Let's see what can be done.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Bloogenes79,

Thank you for your support. I'm currently working on getting a universal viewer to interact with any HTML page really well, so once that is done, I'll post up the conventions the HTML pages need to be in, so that the viewer can then work with any page supplied.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
    SirataXero, so you don't mean DOM as in Document Object Model. You Mean DOM as in Dynamic Ornithoid Masticator, er ... Or something.
    haha. Unfortunately, I definitely mean Document Object Model. : /.

Quote Originally Posted by frankos72 View Post
    YIKES! I really appreciate you help but having to get out the keyboard to read would kinda hamper the whole process. Kinda like milominderbinder mentioned it needs to be quick and easy to get from one part of the book to another. Text entry is really not the right answer.
    Sorry, I didn't have a lot of feedback before I put that up. After your suggestion, I'm sticking with the scrollable widget.
  8.    #108  
    SirataXero,

Check out the example .html bible in the KJV zip in the 1st post.

It's a html bible but it is very similar to the ever popular my bible interface from the old Palm OS that has been mentioned in the past. It's very quick to get to a book,chapter,book but once you are there you have the ability to scroll up and down with the arrow keys through the chapter. The my bible would actually display the whole book as we intend to.
  9.    #109  
    SirataXero,

Thanks for keeping up with the conversation so well. You must multiask like a mad man!

As for the intpickers, are you sure you would like to jump large numbers? So you would like verses to be jumped by a factor of 5? This seems perfectly doable, as I look more into the menu options and such, I'll see what I can do with that.
    Yes, jumping by 5 would be best for verses, not chapters. The intpicker list would get really long and cumbersome in like proverbs and palms where the chapters are really long and the verses really short. It's likely you could jump to 115 and 119 would be on the page or just below it when you got there. That's alot less flicking the picker to get to the verse you want.
  10.    #110  
    Oh and lastly before I put the PC down for a couple hours. Your idea to format the whole book is perfect. If you go from habakkuk, you have the general idea of what we want it to look like and you can make the functional side work. Then when we I get it back I'll make any final tweaks and then we can start looking for someone to do the script parse and put it into the -scene.html files.

In the meantime I'm going to start working on the buttons and structure(.jsjsjs $assistan$ $and$ $scene$ $folders$) $for$ $all$ $the$ $books$ $so$ $we$ $can$ $just$ $drop$ $them$ $in$ $when$ $they$ $are$ $done$.
    SirataXero,

Thanks for keeping up with the conversation so well. You must multiask like a mad man!
    hahahaha. I'm quite horrible with multitasking. Anytime i'm working on something, and I find it a bit hard, I get distracted/lose interest momentarily and end up on these forums. hahaha. Thanks for your wonderful comments though!

As for functionality, I think I read somewhere where you can make the page "snap" to certain points. I hope this is possible with the text. I'm looking more into it as I go. Let's see what comes up. I'll definitely keep up with this thread and keep posting up on how i'm doing from time to time. I find keeping a (-an interactive) log of your work seems to be VERY educational, not only to keep track of how your project progressed, but also for others who may want to learn, duplicate, or modify the work that you have put in.

I'm getting back to work now... haha I'll come back up soon and let everyone know how I'm doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    ...As for the intpickers, are you sure you would like to jump large numbers? So you would like verses to be jumped by a factor of 5? This seems perfectly doable, as I look more into the menu options and such, I'll see what I can do with that...
    Many chapters do not have 5 verses so skipping 5 versus skips the chapter. Other chapters have close to 100 versus so 5 may be to few to jump.

The nice thing about a slider is that it's movement is relative to the number of verses in the chapter you are in. If I slide half way through the chapter, I am at the half way point whether that is 2 or 50 versus.

If I am understanding right, I can still slide up or down small a screen or part of a screen or flick up or down to move more quickly?

If I gesture right or left do I move a chapter?

- Craig
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 07/20/2009 at 09:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
    wonko, I updated the CSS in the code from page two. If you can, update the page you're hosting. Thanx.
    Things seem to be moving faster than I can keep up! I have updated the page.
    PalmPilot => PalmIII => Palm 300 => Treo 600 => Treo 650 => Treo 700 => Treo 750 => Palm Pre
    That's alot less flicking the picker to get to the verse you want.
    We are still talking about the Bible program here, aren't we?

(Sorry. I just had a Beavis and Butthead moment there)
    PalmPilot => PalmIII => Palm 300 => Treo 600 => Treo 650 => Treo 700 => Treo 750 => Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by Milominderbinder View Post
    Many chapters do not have 5 verses so skipping 5 versus skips the chapter. Other chapters have close to 100 versus so 5 may be to few to jump.
    Here's what I plan on doing: grabbing the total number of verses in the chapter, dividing by 5, then taking the last number and setting that as the limit.

so, i.e.: if your chapter has 12 verses, The menu will then have 3 options:
    1-5
    6-10
    10-12

Sound good?

So if a chapter has less than 5, It will just have one option saying: 1-3. (or so) and will stay within the same page if clicked. Hmm... If the chapter has up to 100... the 5's may be a bit troublesome. You think I should throw in a little computation real quick to see how big the chapters are and make sure it divides them up into... say... 4 verses each chapter? so... for example:
    if a chapter has... 12 verses, it would divide it up into 4 sections so the options would be:
    1-3
    4-6
    7-9
    10-12
    Or if the chapter has 100 verses the options would be:
    1-25
    26-50
    51-75
    76-100

Something like that? Yarg... but if your chapter has less than 4 verses, it would probably look... I could throw an if statement in there... HMMMM.... K now i'm just thinking out loud. hahaha Sorry, I'll just start with putting up as many options as there are verses in each chapter. We can work on it from there as we go.

Quote Originally Posted by Milominderbinder View Post
    The nice thing about a slider is that it's movement is relative to the number of verses in the chapter you are in. If I slide half way through the chapter, I am at the half way point whether that is 2 or 50 versus.

If I am understanding right, I can still slide up or down small a screen or part of a screen or flick up or down to move more quickly?

If I gesture right or left do I move a chapter?

- Craig
    That's a very good point. I like the slider option a lot now. haha. I wish we could make the slider vertical on the side. Like the old Palm OS. Oh well. I'm still not exactly sure how to get the "view" to focus on a different section of a page when a button is clicked... but... we'll see once I start looking into it.

Well, as of right now, the organization has the entire book as one page. Each chapter is listed within the page itself. I could separate the book into chapters so that only one chapter is viewable on screen at one time. Do you think that's a better idea? If so, then yeah we could make a swipe left or right move chapters forward and back. As well as the arrows on top do the same.
    On the slider vs integer picker debate:

What if there were integer pickers at the top (select chapter, select verse) Then have a slider at the bottom. This isn't too unlike what Sirata has on that sample app. You get the best of both worlds.

If it is one or the other, I'm an integer picker kind of guy, and I wouldn't skip verses. Scrolling isn't that hard.

One option that could be added down the road though, should the slider be integrated, the value of the slider could be added to at chosen rates of speed. Essentially what you then have is an auto scrolling reader. Not bad for when reading long passages. This should be a phase two option though, unless someone really gets a bug and wants it badly enough to code it.
    hahaha

That's actually a REALLY good idea!

However, to be honest I'm still struggling a little with just a basic submenu. If I went the slider route, I would be able to throw it in there pretty quick, but I don't know how it would change the viewing window... yarg...

either way, I REALLY need to stop getting distracted by this forum and actually get some work done.

Eating something for the first time all day wouldn't hurt either. >.>
  18.    #118  
    Quote Originally Posted by wonko View Post
    Things seem to be moving faster than I can keep up! I have updated the page.
    Hey Wonko!

Did you see the message where we need to stop working on the formatting cause SirataXero is working on the menus for that page too? He is having to change a bit of our work to make the menu stuff work so..... We wait.

*** EDIT ***

Where is Stickywhipit? Sticky, didn't you want to work on the menu's too? Perhaps you and Sirata could get together on this to make it go faster?
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    It might be easier if we take this development to a Wiki or something I am sure we could use a page at the Main Page - WebOS Internals wiki.
    8MB Visor --> Treo 300 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    All devices obtained within first week of launch
    Sort of, but I thought I would just get it done anyway. I'm kinda slow.